FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Automatic Firefox Updates? Do we have a choice?

deanhills
I'm more of an Internet Explorer user than Firefox, but since I've heard a lot of good about Firefox I'm giving it a try as well. So today when I opened it up, it immediately started updating the Firefox software without asking my permission first. I don't like that! It upgraded me to 3.1 which was quick and painless, however would have preferred a choice in the matter, like a little message asking whether I would like to update. Anyone feeling the same about this?
AftershockVibe
If you have a look in Tools Menu -> Options -> Advanced icon -> Update tab you should see your choices at the bottom.

Just set it to "ask me what to do".

Note that this is only the case for minor releases anyway which are mostly security updates that you will want to apply. For major version changes where functionality changes completely (like when they transitioned from 1.5 to 2.0 or whatever to 3.0) this was not an automatic process.
Nick2008
Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to apply a security update?
aningbo
you can always check the settings for this kinda issues.

anyways let them update it. whats the big deal? firefox rules over all other browsers as of now.

google chrome is still in infant mode. hope they make it big soon
deanhills
AftershockVibe wrote:
If you have a look in Tools Menu -> Options -> Advanced icon -> Update tab you should see your choices at the bottom.

Just set it to "ask me what to do".

Note that this is only the case for minor releases anyway which are mostly security updates that you will want to apply. For major version changes where functionality changes completely (like when they transitioned from 1.5 to 2.0 or whatever to 3.0) this was not an automatic process.

Thanks! Will do so, problem solved! Smile
HalfBloodPrince
You upgraded to 3.1? Confused The latest stable release is 3.5.1 Smile
Agent ME
Most updates to Firefox are security updates, which are really a bad idea to not use.

The only reason I ever set Firefox to ask me to update is when I'm running it from a flash drive, and want to be able to completely quit semi-quickly (so I can remove my flash drive) and not have to wait for it to finish doing an update at that moment.
anakin_skyrunner
I would let it update automatically as well... As the system requirements don't really go up with each new release (if they go up at all) you don't even have to worry about installing the newest versions. You will do all the website developers a favor if you use the latest version (I say this with looking at all those "freaks" running IE6 or lower Rolling Eyes ).