FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is a dollar (euro) bill worth to you?

Bluedoll
What value do you attach to paper money notes or currency in general?

I don’t only mean the buying power of a bill but the very essential quality of it. When you look at the coloured paper or coin what do you feel? What does it mean to you?

Interested to know where this goes.

a dollar in the hand is worth two in the . . .
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
What value do you attach to paper money notes or currency in general?

I don’t only mean the buying power of a bill but the very essential quality of it. When you look at the coloured paper or coin what do you feel? What does it mean to you?

Interested to know where this goes.

a dollar in the hand is worth two in the . . .
Good thread. The bills usually smell like something? The newer the nicer the smell? But if it is really used, maybe with a little tear in it, it has character? I sometimes see notes that have scribbles on them. Sort of makes me wonder where the bill had been. I look at the colour. I like the green of the dollar bills very much, also the autumn brown colour. I still have the original 2-dollar Canadian bills. I really liked them, and when they were phased out for the twoonie I kept a few. I also for some reason like the US 100 dollar bills. I like to collect them Laughing Laughing Laughing
Veteran
PESOS ARE WORTH MORE THAN BOTH OF THEM ;0)
Twotone
I know most people would only think of the monetary value of notes or coins.
These days they don't stay in your pocket long enough to take a good look at them I guess.
I know here in Ireland the paper money used to have a lot more character. The old Punt(pound) notes where huge compared to the new euro notes.You could paper your walls with the old 100 Punt notes for one sixth of the cost. Smile Think i still have one of the old notes somewhere memento of times gone.
They also looked so much nicer if you ever get a chance to see one, think you can get pics on Google.
Downside was they were much easier to forge.

I guess every note has a story too......remembering that film where the note with a phone number? was put inside a book and left to fate if the two people ever met again. Wish I could remember the name of the film Smile

Interesting post will think about it when i pay for petrol next time.
Flakky
I don't really give a value to a coin or a bill anymore. Visualize this. You deposite 10 euro on bank a, now you go to bank a in a different city and withdraw 10 euro. Nothing happened except that the first bank a has to give a 10 euro bill to the second bank a. They would give the 10 euro but it wont have any value because nothing happened. Now lets take thousands of customers doing this. If a bank gets 5000 of worthless bills just to pass on you know that the number on the ATM machine has more value than a bill.
Bluedoll
Yes exactly, coinage and paper money has little value when compared to the electronic transfer of funds. Of course nothing happens except maybe when the people doing the collecting go out to lunch on it.
Razz
On the other hand a character of pocket currency does seem have a certain value attached considering that it many pass from one working hand to another?
Flakky
Bluedoll wrote:
Yes exactly, coinage and paper money has little value when compared to the electronic transfer of funds. Of course nothing happens except maybe when the people doing the collecting go out to lunch on it.
Razz
On the other hand a character of pocket currency does seem have a certain value attached considering that it many pass from one working hand to another?

Yeah, that is because they havent gone digital yet xD
At school you sometimes see people carrying a lot of money at the same time, which does not tell us if he is rich or not since we all have a bank account with saving gone more easy.
pscompanies
Flakky wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
Razz

Yeah, that is because they havent gone digital yet xD
At school you sometimes see people carrying a lot of money at the same time, which does not tell us if he is rich or not since we all have a bank account with saving gone more easy.

He has to be rich if he can afford to carry around lots of money (and risk losing it)..
ChrisCh
I don't actually like cash - at all... Other than the annoying build-up of low value coins that you occasionally have to use (to an unsuspecting (annoyed) cashier to save your wallet from bursting), and the whole foreign exchange thing where they won't accept coins, I just don't like the principle (that and the amount of germs on bank notes - especially when you use them to buy food, and don't wash your hands first).

I prefer credit cards because there is ALWAYS a record of your spending, without even needing to get a receipt from the shop. You never need to worry about getting cash exchanged when using a CC, because that's all done by the bank when you're buying something... not to mention the bonus of getting frequent flyer points!

So, I suppose unless someone is giving me cash for free, I only use it for extremely small purchases where a credit card isn't generally accepted... Lol! Smile

Although I once had a very new-looking AUD $100 note, and looked up its serial number to see when it was made... turns out it was made in 1997 (12 years ago at the time), and it still looked brand new... meanwhile the $20 in my wallet was only made the year before and already looked like death haha.
deanhills
I love cash. Real coins. But not the dinky toy ones they are making these days. The solid shiny ones. I like most of the coins from the UK, they seemed to have survived for a really long time. Wonder what is going to happen to them though with the pound sterling that has been dropping in value to the extent it has over the last two years.