FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internship (politically correct?)

ciureanuc
Hi,

If you're (or if you would be) a student or unemployed... will you attend to an unpaid internship?
The company will provide food (lunch, breakfast, tea and coffee) and transportation.
The period is one to three months... you will work (and learn) around 6 to 8 hours/day...

Do you think this is politically correct?

Thanks!

(I started this topic because in my country is not usual this kind of activity and people don't quite understand the difference between a job and internship - "If i work for you why you don't pay me like a regular person?")
badai
where i live, depend on company, some won't provide anything for intern (not allowance, you got to use your own transport, and you must have your transport since some office are out of the way of public transportation, and definitely no free food), while some other company will provide everything (including allowance and all you can eat food), even to full time employee.

i guess it all depend on what the company can afford.
Insanity
It does depend on a lot of things. First off, if you're a student, and you have some free time on your hands, go for it. That is, if you can't find a good job or a paid internship; paid internship are generally more competitive and look better on your resume than unpaid ones. That being said, unpaid internships are a great way to get experience in your field before graduate school, or going out into the real world to try to get a job. And if the company will cover your living expenses, even better.

I don't quite understand what you mean by politically correct. An unpaid internship isn't looked down upon, at least not here in the U.S. It may not be as great on your resume as a job or a paid internship, but it's magnitudes better than nothing.
standready
An internship (especially for a student) is a great way to learn about a field and gather contacts towards a "paid" position.
scallywag
I did a 2 month, unpaid internship at Farm Sanctuary (www.FarmSanctuary.org) an animal rescue group in upstate NY and it was so amazing, I'm very, very glad I did it. They fed us once a week, gave us free lodging, and I was given the chance to learn great new skills, working a job I would not otherwise be eligible for (partially because I'm Canadian and can't get a visa to work in the States, but mostly because I am just inexperienced!)
coolclay
Internships are great and certainly not unpolitically correct. They can teach you valuable skills, enable you do have fun/do something rewarding, help you make connections/meet people, and looks good on resumes. Personally I have never done one because I have never been able to afford working somewhere and not making money. But I know many people who have rich parents and are able to do them.
deanhills
ciureanuc wrote:
Hi,

If you're (or if you would be) a student or unemployed... will you attend to an unpaid internship?
The company will provide food (lunch, breakfast, tea and coffee) and transportation.
The period is one to three months... you will work (and learn) around 6 to 8 hours/day...

Thanks!

(I started this topic because in my country is not usual this kind of activity and people don't quite understand the difference between a job and internship - "If i work for you why you don't pay me like a regular person?")
Depends on the internship and what you want to learn from it. If your objective is to have a job, then maybe you need to figure out how this is going to help you get a job. If it is not going to help you, then maybe internship is not the right place for you. I would only go for an internship if I have some spare cash to see myself through and don't have a problem with income. Whether it is right or wrong should not worry anyone, unless the internship is a smokescreen for making people work for nothing in return. I know that there is quite a number of "tourist" opportunities to be interns in distant countries, where you have to not only pay your ticket, but some want you to pay for being an intern too. In the end you have to figure out what you are going to get out of it, and whether that is worth it to you. For example in some of these tourist type internships, you get to learn scubadiving, so that would be worth it for someone who wants to get into this one day.
eltongeorge
It depends on what kind of company provide this kind of plan and your planin the future.

I had work for a company that just want to hire as many as "low-pay" or "intership" or "gov-paid" employees.... and all the things inside the company are really mess due to the high turnover rate of people.... in this kind of job... although you learn a lot, but the skills learned are not really meeting the real world .......Smile
carlospro7
My first internship paid me over US $18/hr after my sophomore year of college 40hrs/week for 10 weeks. I was really spoiled in my first job getting paid so well. Then I met a friend at school who had worked for some big name companies like the Daily Show and Proctor & Gamble, where she even got to interview Bruce Willis in one of those jobs. I said "you must have gotten paid pretty well." To my surprise, she had worked for them for free... I could not believe it! I asked her why, and how that could have been, and she said that she did it for the experience, and for the chance to have those names in her resume. The thing is that since many students want to build good resumes, big companies like the Daily Show will offer jobs and their payment is giving you the opportunity to put their name on your resume.

It almost sounds illegal, but apparently it isn't because you agree to do it, and it's not like you are being oppressed or anything, nothing is against your will. I think it's a little ridiculous, but some people will go great lengths to build a good network. Although, if a company like Google offered me an internship, without pay, I may seriously reconsider.
missdixy
If I had the financial resources to accept an unpaid internship, I would totally go for it, especially if they were willing to pay for lunch & transportation.
Phinx
I think unpaid internship is great. Obviously, if i had to choose between paid and unpaid one, i would think hard before making a decision. But is the money worth the hassle? Yes, some will think i'm mental for suggesting that, but if you think about it some more, it makes sense.

Life is a series of investments, that give a good return. You go to school, get basic education and then you have a choice to either continue and go in to higher education or get a basic job. If yo choose to go to college or University. It is an investment as well. Even more money needs to spent on the student, but after finishing the course he will have au choose higher education, more money will have to be spent with little or no return (part-time work would be a help), but this will increase your chance to get a specialized and well paid job. Will the person with higher education certificate has a better chance to get a well paid job that the person who only finished school? Most probably. With every stage you spend more money, but also you get higher return.

Internship could be seen in the same light. Of course, people who are less well financially might not be able to take the chance or want to risk, but if you compare two companies, one which does not pay but is well known and one that does pay but has only half of the fame the nonpaying company does. Which will you choose?

Nonpaying one might make your life more comfortable for now, but what are the chances that a big brand name will put you first in line when getting a job after graduation? Choosing an unpaid internship, but having a big name guide you might bring in more income in the long run. Just because it is nota paid, does not mean it is not worth it!
soljarag
it totally depends. I agree 100% with carlospro7

What kind of company is it? will it look good on your resume? Will they teach you new stuff? Do you think it could lead to a job?

If yes, then its worth it.

If its some company looking for a person to do their grunt work for free, then do not take it
tukun2009manit
ciureanuc wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

why will the componey pay?
fullmetalalki
I would do it if you have the money to not need to work. The experience could really build your skills and it doesn't sound like you will have to pay anything to attend the internship. Plus, you could always find a part time job that won't hopefully interfere with the internship. An internship would also look pretty good on a resume. But that also could depend on the field that you're in
natilovesmike
Well, where I come from that is done a lot! mainly because there is not enough money around. I guess internships without payment are OK as long as you are taking something out of it, like learning a new skill or accumulating experience that will then help you find a real job. If there is nothing for you in it, thenyou probably woulnd't even consider doing it without payment.
yangxiao
Many students are willing to do intern job just for work experience, which will be helpful in their job-hunting.
BTW, I'm in China.