FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why people must register to get married?

Cliffer
is it necessary to tell other people "WE are married" ? who made this rule?
AftershockVibe
A better question in my opinion is "why would one want to keep their marriage secret?" Modern marriage is supposed to be a celebration of commitment.

However, in reality the real reason probably stems from the concept of ownership which is far less romatic. In most societies women used to be treated as possessions (and in many, still are). Evidence of this is still quite prominent in western marriage ceremonies where the father "gives away" the bride. It's not just a turn of phrase.
deanhills
I thought it is as simple as that it is a legal contract, and that the legal contract is necessary to be registered for purposes of treating the couple as married in all their future contracts or interactions with Government and society?
Vrythramax
Cliffer wrote:

er...what is this topic about? Registering for wedding gifts at a store? Applying for a marriage license? Maybe announcing a marriage? The topic is just a bit vague.

The concept of requiring a license for getting married is for tax purposes if I'm not mistaken.
Bluedoll
To declair or not for clair . . . by Bluedoll

Privacy can be an issue for people for certain. In many legal arrangements even as something as simple as signing a lease, marrage status can be asked for. There are also certain considerations and expectations for married people both legally and socially. For example since married people have made a commitment it might indicate to someone mutually agreeing to a lease that they are more stable since they have already demonstrated commitment by entered into another agreement.

As far as how people wish to lead their life that can be a very private matter but public declaration to a well know convention like marriage can sometimes be advantageous and desirable by married people rather than taking a decision to keep it secretive.

However, if a couple wanted to keep their arrangement private, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be able to. They could do things like have a prenuptial, retain their own sir name, sign documents independently with the aid of legal council, socially keep their marriage open so they both date others and in general separate from each other as much as possible. It could be called a “disassociated marriage”.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
Cliffer wrote:

er...what is this topic about? Registering for wedding gifts at a store? Applying for a marriage license? Maybe announcing a marriage? The topic is just a bit vague.

The concept of requiring a license for getting married is for tax purposes if I'm not mistaken.
Cliffer is perhaps the right person to answer this, but I thought that he meant one does not need to be registered in order to be married. So why register?
BinahZ
according to answers.com
Quote:
The requirement for marriage licences in the U.S. has been justified on the basis that the state has an overriding right, on behalf of all citizens and in the interests of the larger social welfare, to protect them from disease or improper/illegal marriages; to keep accurate state records; or even to ensure that marriage partners have had adequate time to think carefully before marrying

Quote:
In the early part of the twentieth century, the requirement for a marriage licence was used as a mechanism to prohibit whites from marrying blacks, mulattos, Japanese, Chinese, Native Americans, Mongolians, Malays or Filipinos.[1] By the 1920s, 38 states used the mechanism. These laws have since been declared invalid by the Courts.

Answers.com wrote:

In the United States, until the mid-nineteenth century, common-law marriages were recognised as valid, but thereafter the states began to invalidate common-law marriages. At present eleven states and the District of Columbia recognise common-law marriages.

It seems from all I have read on the matter, that the license gives the Government authority in the marriage contract as it is actually a 3 way contract betweent the state and the individuals.
I find the history and intricacies of the marriage license quite interesting.
Blacks Law Dictionary wrote:
defines "license" as, "The permission by competent authority to do an act which without such permission would be illegal." The authority to license implies the power to prohibit. A license by definition "confers a privilege" to do something. By allowing the state to exercise control over marriage, it is implied that we do not have a right to marry; marriage is a privilege. Those born in the US receive a birth certificate, not a birth license.

Source at Answers.com
Vrythramax
Thanks BinahZ, if ever had cold feet before..they are frozen solid now. Laughing
AftershockVibe
Vrythramax wrote:
Thanks BinahZ, if ever had cold feet before..they are frozen solid now. Laughing

Heh. Here's a supplementary definition:

The Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce (1911) wrote:
MARRIAGE, n. The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress and two slaves, making in all, two.

Also, while interesting, if you're looking for historical reasons then the United States is probably not a very authoritative place to look given that it was founded less than 400 years ago and even then, by largely fundamentalist christians. The concept of marriage has been around for pretty much all of human civilisation.
mikakiev
Sadly but still children who are born from unmarried parents are called bastards in many countries.Still there are many prejudices.
hangnhu
a system and ceremony created by human to label us as 'married' 'single'
an official mark of our change of status and perhaps to prevent chao in society should people decided that affair is morally ok, off course marriage don't prevent anything 'sinful' from happening, no matter day and age.

also, so the community can charge us, if you want to get marry (correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought marriage license must cost money, to print the paper/contact at least)
ah well, the question is - how do you know if your really married if you don't register?
black ink and white paper always goes and the best possible proof.
RubySlasher
Why can't they do marriage licensing a different way? Throw away all the technicalities about gender and such, and just make a legal way for two people to be legally joined and responsible for each other and their property. Let the churches be in charge of the ceremonious "marriage" certificates. (Though these certificates won't be legal documents, they're still represent traditional vows if the church approves them.)
That way people can chose the church that supports them. And the state can marry whoever for a nominal fee. And nobody feels iffy about partner "ownership" anymore.
Everybody wins!