FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mumbai braces for highest tide in 100 years

gurram533

Many people are evacuated form the low lying areas as the financial capital braces for a massive 5.5 metre high tidal wave, billed as the highest in 100 years, to lash it Friday afternoon.

The high tide is expected to hit Mumbai and the surrounding Konkan region around 2.05 p.m.

The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has issued warnings to people in low-lying areas to watch out for the gigantic tide Friday and take adequate precautions.

On Thursday, sea water rushed into several buildings in Cuffe Parade, Worli, Dadar, Prabhadevi, Andheri, Juhu, Khar and Malad.

Many IT/ITES companies have geared up their Disaster Recovery plan to tackel any disturbance in operations and people movement during this period.

Some schools have advised students to stay at home in view of the high tide.

Hope this is not a worst nightmare for the Mumbaikars... and they tackel this one with courage..
deanhills
Right, they have barely recovered from that awful terrorist attack, and now a natural disaster looming. If I were a resident of Mumbai, I would go for a quick holiday in the mountains with the highest peaks in that area ... I sincerely hope however that this won't come to pass.
ocalhoun
gurram533 wrote:

Is it just me, or do they seem to really not care about their motorcycles in Mumbai?

If I owned one of those, my top priority at the moment would probably be moving it somewhere safer; across the street, at least.
Vrythramax
wow...what caused the wave in the first place?
deanhills
I guess we can blame it on the moon .... Laughing Shocked

Good part though is that there were no casualties. Great that the people received warning ahead of time, so the local Government probably should be congratulated for their preparation ahead of a potential natural disaster:

Quote:
Mumbai, July 24 (IANS) Sea waves rode the tarmac near the Gateway of India, Marine Drive, Juhu and Worli among other places Friday as India’s financial capital was lashed by tidal waves 5.5 metres high, billed as the highest in 100 years.

There were no reports of casualties during the high tide brought about by a combination of the monsoon and the strong gravitational pull of the moon two days after the new moon.

City authorities had issued advance warnings to people. Nearly 200 families had been evacuated from the coastal areas.

Huge waves crashed onto the retaining walls at Nariman Point, Colaba, Cuffe Parade, Marine Drive, Haji Ali, Worli Seaface, Bandra Bandstand, Juhu, Versova, Marve, Gorai, Bhandup and Vikhroli.

Water roared over roads near Prabhadevi, Worli, Juhu and Bandra part from the one near the Gateway of India just outside the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel.

Coastal areas near Mumbai, such as Thane, Bhayander, Uttan, Palghar, Boisar and Dahanu also experienced the unusual high tides.

The high tide started at 2.05 p.m. and the waters are to ebb at 8.09 p.m. when it will reach the lowest level of 0.77 metre, the weather bureau said.

Source: http://www.aol.in/news-story/Mumbai-washed-by-tallest-waves-in-100-years/522211
soljarag
whoa, that picture is pretty intense.. I would not be out there taking pics..
menino
I believe that these changes are caused by the butterfly effect of global warming.
It seems that almost every month, in not everyday, there are natural disasters happening in the world.
We all have to do our part to save our own planet, by recycling, doing away with ozone harming products, non-litering of garbage.
All said and done, we still have a long way to go.
One thing though, does anyone know how to treat nuclear toxic waste?
ocalhoun
menino wrote:

Put it in thick lead containers and/or bury it until it looses its radioactivity. (Which can be a very long time, depending on the material.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
menino wrote:

Put it in thick lead containers and/or bury it until it looses its radioactivity. (Which can be a very long time, depending on the material.)
Like the salt mines in Carlsbad, New Mexico?

http://www.wipp.energy.gov/
harismushtaq
So is this a once in 100 years event all has this some relation with global warming, melting arctic ice and the great flood?