FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About to Give up on OpenOffice

snowboardalliance
For about 4 years (or as long as I've had my own computer) I've used OpenOffice simply because it is free and it works for what I need.

Lately, I've been working with larger sets of data in Calc and have found it to be soooo slow. It gets to be unresponsive and I just can't sit around for minutes at a time to do simple operations - it's very unproductive.

Also, I have found that adding images to Writer is a pain because I usually need to save it as .doc for school or work (my professor doesn't have open office but needs to collaborate with me). I've found that with images, I have to go crazy to get it to display consistently. I mean I can get it right if I anchor it to the page, but I open it in Word Viewer and it is on the wrong page. So I just do anchor to paragraph and it works sometimes, other times things jump around and I have to keep trying to fix it. With more pictures, things become slow, so that if I have to mess around with moving images, it can take forever. I'm on a dual core PC with 3 GB RAM (it's from last year), this shouldn't be slow.

Not only that, but whenever I go through the styles dialogs to set fonts or change other settings, there are certain panels that hang the program for several seconds (up to like 30 seconds). It's incredibly annoying when you are in a hurry or you accidentally opened it.

It gets to be such a pain, I'm about to buy Office through school ($65 isn't too bad).

I've about had it with all of these problems. I love FOSS, but I just can't use this. Anyone else had similar experiences? Is it a good idea to just give in and buy M$?
noah
Find out if your school is apart of MCSA (MIcrosoft Campus Softaware Alliance) and you should be able to pick it up for less than $20. You're run into the main reason why you can't use Open Office in a collaborative environment.
aningbo
luckily my college provides free microsoft products for the students and i dont have to use pirated copies anymore...

these so called free products are just a replica of microsoft creations and trying to mock at it after copying almost every aspect of it.
sondosia
snowboardalliance, you are absolutely right. I had the same issues back when I was running Linux and couldn't use MS Office. But now I have Windows again, got a copy of Office, and have never looked back. For all the crap people say about Microsoft, MS Office really IS the best office software out there.

If you're in college, chances are you also need to write a lot of papers with bibliographies, footnotes and citations, and MS Word is great at this. Openoffice Writer is NOT. So, yeah, you're definitely not alone here.
snowboardalliance
Well I guess I'll have to pick up a copy ($65) next time I'm back on campus. Looks like the best price.

Edit
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx
Or maybe I can find a better deal
soljarag
yeah, I tried OpenOffice one time... it was alright... but I just like the look and feel of MS office
JBotAlan
I am a major advocate of open-source software, but I do see the value in keeping copies of the proprietary software handy. I really like running everything I can in the open-source world, but I have a VirtualBox machine loaded with XP, Office '07, and any other software the university insists I run.

You can't bash OpenOffice for its interoperability problems. Those were created by Microsoft, not Sun.
blk3
Maybe its because its open source and free that's why it pales in comparison with commercial paid office software. I guess you get what you really paid for.
snowboardalliance
JBotAlan wrote:
I am a major advocate of open-source software, but I do see the value in keeping copies of the proprietary software handy. I really like running everything I can in the open-source world, but I have a VirtualBox machine loaded with XP, Office '07, and any other software the university insists I run.

You can't bash OpenOffice for its interoperability problems. Those were created by Microsoft, not Sun.

True, I might like OpenOffice if everyone I needed to collaborate with had it, but they don't. Also performance was a huge problem for me. I have a fast laptop (Intel Dual Core T9300 with 3GB RAM) but there were so many things that would hang in OpenOffice (styles was a huge offender and annoyance). I've recently purchased MS Office and haven't used it much but I'm happy so far.

And I still do love Firefox, virtual machine version of Ubuntu, Notepad++, Pidgin, and tons of other Open Source programs that I can't think of right now.
leontius
blk3 wrote:
Maybe its because its open source and free that's why it pales in comparison with commercial paid office software. I guess you get what you really paid for.

Not quite right... there are instances where open source technologies are more well-regarded than their closed-source counterpart (cf. ASP.NET, ColdFusion, IIS vs. J2EE, PHP, Apache; Windows server vs. Linux/BSD server). However for layperson-level consumers, open source has a lot to be desired.

Also, as much as you hate it, at least openoffice.org gives Microsoft incentive to keep on innovating.