FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

THE MISCHIEVOUS MEERKAT

airh3ad
If you think meerkats are creatures that hang around with wild boars singing Hakuna matata! while be friending lost lion cubs, think again? Sure, timon in the movie Lion King did you remember? was one loveable meerkat. But there is somuch more to these creatures than what you've seen in disney animation. For one did you know that meerkats are immune to venom?
deanhills
airh3ad wrote:
If you think meerkats are creatures that hang around with wild boars singing Hakuna matata! while be friending lost lion cubs, think again? Sure, timon in the movie Lion King did you remember? was one loveable meerkat. But there is somuch more to these creatures than what you've seen in disney animation. For one did you know that meerkats are immune to venom?
Agreed. Jamie Uys, the producer and director of "Animals are beautiful people" and "The Gods must be crazy" and other good movies also loved meerkats. They really are very cute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_Are_Beautiful_People
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerkat

airh3ad
That picture is amazing i mean cute.
guggs
Have you guys seen www.comparethemeerkat.com ? It grew from a UK car insurance comparison site ad campaign and is featured in variety of TV ads. Apparently it now gets more hits than the real website !!!
ocalhoun
I don't have any meerkats where I live... Crying or Very sad

But I do have

I wonder how similar prairie dogs are to meerkats...
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I don't have any meerkats where I live... Crying or Very sad

But I do have

I wonder how similar prairie dogs are to meerkats...
If one compares the two photos, perhaps the meerkats may have a little more personality. They do have a more erect bearing, and look more energetic, so may be more intelligent, but that is just a guess that may be wrong as well. it would probably still have to be proven through a proper scientific study of a kind:
spobor
Prairie dogs are said to be quite intelligent, or that is to say they have highly developed methods of communication (essentially language). Although so are humans and just look at how stupid we can be =).

But I digress, Con Slobodchikoff of North Arizona University has run extensive studies on Prairie dogs and their communication methods. Finding they "speak" in quite detail to each other with very specific warnings for different threats. If your interested a list of readings by Con can be found at http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cns3/ (Where abouts you will actually find the readings is probably a trip to the local Uni library to get some obscure journals)

Well worth a look into, I saw it in a doco a gew months back and was well intrigued.

As to whether meerkats are similar, well I haven't seen a doco about them yet so I don't know =P
keppryy
OMG MEERKATS ARE SO COOL AND SOOOO CUTE^^
Devilizer
Meerkats are one of the coolest animals on this earth. The show on animal planet is just amazing and i probably have 30 episodes recorded on my dvr. I would want to have one as a pet, but it would be bored as hell... maybe i can adopt one. :O
guissmo
Meerkats are cute! Hakuna Matata! Haha.
Yeah, I don't know much about them, but they do look cute.
They might even make good house pets? Smile)
jabce85
yes, indeed.... very (i hate to say it) cute.