FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox 3.7 Revamp

What do you think of the (possible) new look?
Love it
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Hate it
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Don't care
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

HalfBloodPrince
Quote:
Mozilla's popular Firefox browser is on the up and up; with version 3.5 recently released, it's making very good progress, and now, the organization has revealed some concepts for a redesign they plan to be included in version 3.7.

Firstly, we should note that these new designs are purely ideas, and they'll only be re-making the Windows versions, so put your excited faces away, Mac and Linux users. According to the official wiki that we linked above, here are Mozilla's planned new improvements:

1. Embracing Glass: Toolbar and Tabs using Glass. Buttons translucent and slightly glossy to meld with the toolbar. Raised 3D lookachieve tactile "feel".

2. Page Button: Connect the Page button to the left side of the tab area. Directly connected to the Page.

3. Tools/Bookmark Bar: Connecting the Tools button to the side of the window to emphasize the fact that it is used for customizing and changing the UI. Adding a button next to that to toggle the Bookmarks bar which is turned off by default.

All this chat is well and good, but we know what you're really here for... the actual screenshots. Without further ado, here they are!

Check 'em out here and here. Anyone else think there's a definite Chrome influence in the possible new design? Looks good, though. Smile
brokenadvice
I like it. Definitely a chrome, uh, influence. It is funny. If you open up chrome and safari 4, you will notice a strong resemblance as well. It will be interesting to see how opera and IE will look in a few years.
Nameless
Oh God. I'm turning automatic updates off.

(No seriously, enough pointless visual interface changes; they don't make any difference to functionality, aren't any better, waste time developing, and annoy the crap out of my every time I have to get used to the next arbitrary change. The only thing saving the world at large my bastard overlord villain rage is the Full Fullscreen extension. It can't annoy me if I ONLY VIEW THE WEBPAGE. AHAHAHAHAHA. Now back to my remote controlled, mass stir fry eliminator. That's right, next website I personally view to redesign. We'll see how many fashion conscious websurfers you attract without your honey mustard chicken!)
Ghost Rider103
I do like it, it looks much better than the current version (3.5) that I am using.

Also, I do not think it is a waste of time to just change the interface of the web browser. There are people like me who will not use a web browser unless it looks nice. The older versions of IE were absolutely ugly, which is really the only reason I switched to FireFox in the first place.

I hope they will come out with a design similar to what they are previewing, if not even better.

What is the deal with Chrome and now FF removing the "home" button? I hated the fact that Google Chrome didn't have a "home" button. I actually use that button quite a bit, and it was quite annoying not having one.

I hope FireFox doesn't also remove their home button.
Hogwarts
To be honest, I still hate that the tabs are below the URL bar -- given that the URL bar is an essential, individual part of each tab. Chrome got it right the first time; this design seems to just copy that logic and do so unsuccessfully
Magicman
These look like nice themes for firefox, however I wonder how they will affect me as a mac user. I really liked the latest firefox update (3.5) because of the speed improvements. I hope 3.7 can bring more great improvements.
HalfBloodPrince
Magicman wrote:
These look like nice themes for firefox, however I wonder how they will affect me as a mac user. I really liked the latest firefox update (3.5) because of the speed improvements. I hope 3.7 can bring more great improvements.

The new UI is, so far, only being made for Windows to integrate better with Vista and 7. The Mac version already integrates decently IMO so it's about time they made things shiny and transparent (not that there aren't addons for that). Smile

Edit: I started messing around with some extensions and found some that kind of resemble the new mockups

misterXY
To Mozilla,
Go back too what FireFox was, it's getting slower with each release! l remember Firebird 0.6, loved the updates, been since 2, it's SLOW.
l love my current add-ons, and persona's is awesome, but l skipped 3.5 after beta testing it and left on 3.0.12 till current release. l don't want too leave firefox, but it seems they just care for "sleek" looks now.
Rajiev
I'll love anything FF thoughs at me.

But it should have plugins suport at the firt few weeks. I hate when My favourite (popular) plugins are not suported by new FF releses Mad

This FF 3.5 is stillnot suported by Tab Mix Plus Mad

So I revereted back to 3.12 just to use Tab mix. I cant live withought those plugins. The whole point of me using FF is the amazing cuztomisability provided through addons.
ocalhoun
I'll just keep on using my classic compact theme... 0 wasted space, so there's more room for the web page I'm actually trying to look at.
Agent ME
Did they take out the toolbar in those mock-ups? That's about the biggest thing I hate about IE7+. Sure you can re-enable it, but it doesn't fit in nicely. And on most computers it's disabled, and you have to hit alt first to show it.
snowboardalliance
I kind of like the menu, but I guess it isn't too necessary and could be combined to the single item. I do think that they should keep the bookmark toolbar because I find it comes in handy for the several sites I frequently visit. Does look pretty cool though
Peterssidan
I'm glad it's only for the windows version. Don't like it at all.
anakin_skyrunner
Looks cool so far...
mafialive
I love the look that Firefox has and I really enjoy how it looks running Vista. I hope they continue make better versions of Firefox.
HalfBloodPrince
Some dedicated fan made a theme for current released based on the 3.7 mockups.

http://boneyardbrew.deviantart.com/art/Firefox-3-7-Mockup-Redux-2-0-130502568
Nick2008
I think it looks good. Very Happy
Rajiev
awesome.

But not too much of a difference though Surprised
anakin_skyrunner
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Some dedicated fan made a theme for current released based on the 3.7 mockups.

http://boneyardbrew.deviantart.com/art/Firefox-3-7-Mockup-Redux-2-0-130502568

Yes, but one needs several other things in order to have an identical look:

go to downloadsquad.com
Arrow it works, I tried it myself
Chinmoy
i like those tabs. Look clean and are not vulnerable to click-throughs. I guess they are trying to include tab crash recovery with it.
anakin_skyrunner
Mozilla has released Mockups of what version 4.0 might look like - they're even more chromelicious, have a look:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Windows_Theme_Mockups

They show the different reload/stop button styles too.
Rajiev
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Mozilla has released Mockups of what version 4.0 might look like - they're even more chromelicious, have a look:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Windows_Theme_Mockups

They show the different reload/stop button styles too.

Wow That is SOooooo Kool Smile

Hope they solve this memory issue that FF have. A lot of people do not want their Browser sucking all the system memory
misterXY
It's 2010, still no official 3.7 Razz