FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blindness (2008)

snowboardalliance
I just watched Blindness and I would like to hear some opinions on it. If you haven't seen it, you may want to, but it's definitely something that only certain people will like.

Personally, I felt that it was a refreshing indie movie from all of the "typical" films in theaters. I liked the cinematography which captured the essence of being blind at times. I wouldn't say this was my favorite movie, but I was looking on IMDb and I've found that many people hated the movie and I'd like to argue those points a bit.

Spoilers following:

First, many people thought that the movie had "plot holes" because well, they don't tell you everything. The point is everything that is left out is either a)irrelevant b) unknown to the characters or c) left to the imagination. For instance, people complain that there was no explanation for the blindness or the cure - I say, does it matter? The story was about how people survived and it touched on the social issues, things people take for granted, and the horrible things people do to each other. The blindness itself didn't matter, it could have been some other impairment.

Also, I like when you watch a movie and only know what the characters know. Who wants to watch more movies where you keep seeing the villains off discussing their secret plans and you know what's going to happen? Like where you're watching something and you're just like "don't go in there, it's a trap" because you know more than the character. Sometimes I like to be in their position and not have super knowledge about everything. It's kind of what I liked about Cloverfield (although the filming was obnoxious, I thought it was so-so) - you only know what the characters know and you don't know how it ends because they die. In Blindness, why would we know all of the answers? How would it enhance the movie?

Now I've read a lot of reviews saying things like "why didn't the woman who could see kill the dictator?" or "People wouldn't have let that happen, they would fight back"
My only response to this is I felt the movie was pretty realistic to how people would behave. Sure, the woman could have killed the man with the gun, but would it matter? He would yell and someone else would grab her and they would attack her. Obviously she needed to wait for a more ideal time. Also, it's not easy to have the courage to stand up even when you have some kind of advantage, she is not a superhero. People criticize the film ignoring the fact that these are just normal people.
Also, to people that felt that the quarantine was done badly, yes it was, but that is what happens in an emergency. Decisions are made, many times they are rushed and don't work. It is apparent that the disease spread so quickly that no one had time to improve the quarantines or find a cure. It was part bureaucratic, part panic.

Now for my own criticism, I think the biggest problem I had with this movie is the ending. No I did not want it dragged out where everyone gets their vision back, but I felt that the guy getting his vision at all was kind of "and then they lived happily ever after" fairy tale ending-esque. I mean I felt that this movie was totally different from your typical blockbuster until they through in the happy ending. I have nothing against good things happening, I just felt that the movie was much more realistic until this point. I'll let the cause of the blindness go unexplained, but I can't go without an explanation for why he is magically cured. But hey, it wasn't a horrible way to end.

Anyway, my overall opinion was that this was a good film because it was different from most of today's movies. If anyone else has seen it, I'm curious as to what you think.