FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2003 and 2007 installed. I want MS Office to open in 2003.

guissmo
I installed 2007 just so I can view docx's.
Now all my docs are opening in 2007 and I don't like it.
What should I do?

I tried screwing with the file type associations but nothing's happening.
I've spent all night looking for a solution, perhaps anyone can help?

I know I could just open Word 2003 and open them from there, but it's just too annoying to do that. Any workarounds?
Donutey
Download the office compatibility pack. You don't need Office 2007 installed to use the docx file format.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en
guissmo
Thanks, but what I really want is to have them both installed but I just want 2003 to be the default one to open docs. Is there any other way?
AftershockVibe
If you're in Vista, right click a .doc file and bring up the properties dialog.
Next to "opens with..." click the "change" button.

Now, browse to find the Word 2003 executable and make sure "always use this program" is ticked.
Done.
guissmo
I've tried this dozens of times. It always opens to 2007. I'm choosing Office11/Winword.exe and it still opens via 2007. Though if I manually click Office11/Winword.exe, it opens 2003. And I find that irritating.
AftershockVibe
guissmo wrote:
I've tried this dozens of times. It always opens to 2007. I'm choosing Office11/Winword.exe and it still opens via 2007. Though if I manually click Office11/Winword.exe, it opens 2003. And I find that irritating.

Really? That shouldn't happen unless they've deliberately broken it. In that case I can only assume that this is an attempt at MS Software trying to be "helpful" and failing miserably. I suppose there might be a setting somewhere in Office's setup to prevent it.
aningbo
AftershockVibe wrote:
guissmo wrote:

Really? That shouldn't happen unless they've deliberately broken it. In that case I can only assume that this is an attempt at MS Software trying to be "helpful" and failing miserably. I suppose there might be a setting somewhere in Office's setup to prevent it.

in ms office 2007, there's an option where u can save it permanently in 97-2003 format. this should solve the problem/

good luck