FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why are animals and hobbies thrown in the same basket?

Kopernikus
I find it rather annoying, because my interest is in photography.
There are *such* a number of hobbies, look at the different kinds of collectors, for instance, and only the smallest part like breeding doves etc. have *anything* to do with it...
ocalhoun
Well, actually, you'll be glad to know there's already a 'basket' for photography alone!
Crazy_Canuck
If they were separate it would make this Forum easier to navigate. I don't think of my love for animals as a hobby. Collecting stamps is a hobby, loving animals is just pure love. They are a part of your life. If you don't feed your stamp it won't die or run away. I'm just saying, these are completely different topics.
deanhills
I never thought about it as I got used to it, but now that it is mentioned, I have to agree, the two probably need to be separate. One can do a whole forum on animals alone. Maybe it would get more postings too. But maybe this has to be suggested in the General/Suggestions Forum? Smile
ocalhoun
Well, there's not really enough traffic to force them to be separate... I figure they're just lumped together to save space on the index page.
Kashinilaya
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, there's not really enough traffic to force them to be separate... I figure they're just lumped together to save space on the index page.

Yes, probably... but it is rather weird, isn't it?

Hey ocalhoun, how are you doing? I hope you're fine. And your jeep? Keep cool until you're 100%! All the best!
freeshann
yeah, it's weird. I love "hobbies" and I dont really like animals! weird
hangnhu
gosh, animal and hobbies, must be very difficult to work out which is which
Kopernikus
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, actually, you'll be glad to know there's already a 'basket' for photography alone!

emmm, did I overlook something here??
jwellsy
Animals go with cooking,
pets go with hobbies.
Kopernikus
jwellsy wrote:
Animals go with cooking,
pets go with hobbies.

jwellsy locuta... causa finita!
ovg8
I dont get it as well because animals aren't really a hobby. There's living creatures but hobbies are like whatever. If you lump the two together it's really hard to navigate the topics when search doesn't work properly.
smokey4life
ovg8 wrote:
I dont get it as well because animals aren't really a hobby. There's living creatures but hobbies are like whatever. If you lump the two together it's really hard to navigate the topics when search doesn't work properly.

Yes i agree, not too mention with the plethora of topic categories already here seems it wouldn't be that difficult to add another subcategory somewhere.
deanhills
Good point. Animals and hobbies deserve their own separate forums. Animals and hobbies are really separate categories. Like Marketing and Economy that don't belong together either. Marketing perhaps deserves its own separate forum, and economy can be added with politics.
Insanity
I don't think it makes a ton of difference either way. It does save space on the front page, though. All you have to do is post in here if you want to talk about animals or hobbies, but unless there is too many topics that it becomes extremely difficult to sort through them, I don't think it really matters. Especially since that's not the case right now. When it becomes too difficult to sort between the two topics, I'm sure there will be new forums made for each to make things easier. For now however, it could be about any two topics and it wouldn't matter.

Though I do see the point for having similarly related topics in each forums. There would be overlap, such as if some people view having pets as a hobby.
rshanthakumar
May be what they really meant was animal loving or care for animals. May be, bird watching and such other things. In that case even scientific interests like astronomy could be treated as hobbies. There are quite some sky gazers out here too!
jabce85
Pets are not hobbies..... They are full time jobs.... No, but in all seriousness, they need to have their own category on here.
jabce85
Pets are not hobbies..... They are full time jobs.... No, but in all seriousness, they need to have their own category on here.
guth75
That does seem a bit odd... unless they are animal hobbies such as hunting... but thats all I got...
Radar
I think it varies from person to person, and depending on the pet.

For example, to most people, fish would be a hobby.

A cat / dog / horse on the other hand, requires much more attention than that - or so I would assume.