FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Terrorism works the same way as advertising?

mk12327
Terrorism and advertising seem to share parallels in some aspects. For example, they are forced upon others like spam and bombardment. Every now and then, terrorist bomb places to ensure that they are remembered and "stay in trend". What do you think?
Vrythramax
Your are so right! They come at you when it's least expected in all sorts of guises, and thier effects are insidious. In terrorism terror, fear, or simple untrust is an end goal...with advertising product purchase is only one way to measure success. Get people to talk about the product in any fashion, good or bad is irrelevant as long as they are talking about the product, and that is also a form of success.

I'm looking forward to other responses to this topic...it should be interesting.
deanhills
I totally agree! Where I am, some of the advertisements come with a much higher sound volume, in fact quite a number of notches higher to the equivalent of almost violent sound. So not only are you bombarded with spam, but woken up in the rudest of ways! Sort of like a psychological attack where I would have wished that I could have something to shoot at "in defense" Laughing Laughing
Nameless
Joke topic? The only significant parallel you could draw is in regards to advertisements that manipulate fear to sell their products. Security doors, obviously, or fashion products that indirectly scare people into thinking they'll be disliked for being "unfashionable". MAYBE that both advertisements and most terrorism (AFAIK) are used to draw attention towards something in particular (a product / a political view), but that's a stretch.
Vrythramax
Nameless wrote:
Joke topic? The only significant parallel you could draw is in regards to advertisements that manipulate fear to sell their products. Security doors, obviously, or fashion products that indirectly scare people into thinking they'll be disliked for being "unfashionable". MAYBE that both advertisements and most terrorism (AFAIK) are used to draw attention towards something in particular (a product / a political view), but that's a stretch.

I don't think the author meant it as a joke, and I, for one, believe it was pretty much on the mark in several parallels. You mentioned security products, what about anti-biotic or cleaning agents that play on peoples natural fear of germs, infection, or illness? How about food products that espouse that they are "healthy", Good for you" or similar descriptions that play on the current health craze?

They create a situation that is in favor of themselves by working on peoples fears, behaviors, ways of life, living conditions, practically anything that can be manipulated as a means to an end.

Terrorism is defined as: "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion", wouldn't that include anything that played on your natural fears also?

Shark repellant, bug repellant, insect sprays for the home, pest control items, safety gear, the list goes on and on, are all using our fears of the potential outcome of NOT using their product as a means of sales.

Sure sounds like a form of terrorism to me.
deanhills
So one can almost say that advertising is a subtle form of terrorism ...maybe we can even call it soft terrorism? Think Smile
liljp617
Maybe we should invade advertising agencies.

Random invasions seem to be our specialty.
mk12327
Nameless wrote:
Joke topic?

I never meant to have this topic as a joke. I started this topic because i truly think that there are aspects between advertising and terrorism. I'm not trying to advocate the elimination of advertising nor downplay the seriousness of terrorism. But rather to hear what others have to say about this opinion.

Vrythramax wrote:

They create a situation that is in favor of themselves by working on peoples fears, behaviors, ways of life, living conditions, practically anything that can be manipulated as a means to an end.
Terrorism is defined as: "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion",+wouldn't+that+include+anything+that+played+on+your+natural+fears+also?

I+do+agree+a+lot+on+this+point.+Well+said!
Magicman
It seems that terrorism is more about creating the fear of the horrible acts than the acts themselves. They want their actions to be on your mind constantly just as an advertiser wants you to have their products on your mind constantly. I think the original comparison is very true.
Vrythramax
Magicman wrote:
It seems that terrorism is more about creating the fear of the horrible acts than the acts themselves. They want their actions to be on your mind constantly just as an advertiser wants you to have their products on your mind constantly. I think the original comparison is very true.

Exactly. The definition I found didn't say how the state of terror was produced, only the end result. I imagine there are quite a few ways to produce terror in a person without actually using violence.
coolclay
There are many parallels that can be made, like those already stated. But the same comparisons can be drawn on anything that includes trying to "brainwash" people into doing something, or believing something. The government, education, terrorism, advertising, and so many other things in our world, rely on the same basic instruments of persuasion that most people don't think about. The only big difference is that terrorism works on the basis of large scale destruction to do that.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
There are many parallels that can be made, like those already stated. But the same comparisons can be drawn on anything that includes trying to "brainwash" people into doing something, or believing something. The government, education, terrorism, advertising, and so many other things in our world, rely on the same basic instruments of persuasion that most people don't think about. The only big difference is that terrorism works on the basis of large scale destruction to do that.
Well said! I wonder whether Obama has a database of terminology he is using to market different kinds of bills for example. All of them are there to persuade people to think in a specific direction, so yes probably one can say that that is a type of brainwashing.
Vrythramax
@coolclay

In your estimation is brainwashing and conditioning the same?
tukun
mk12327 wrote:
Terrorism and advertising seem to share parallels in some aspects. For example, they are forced upon others like spam and bombardment. Every now and then, terrorist bomb places to ensure that they are remembered and "stay in trend". What do you think?

yes seems to be similar but not true i don't agree with it fully advertisement i need to think more on it but terriorist r really a thread to whole world because every now or then poor fellows are suffering because of the terririsom

advertisement is also affecting mind i will think about it and post some serious comments
coolclay
Quote:
In your estimation is brainwashing and conditioning the same?

Vrythramax, that's a great question. In my mind and in theory, they are functionally the same. The difference comes from your perspective, for example brainwashing usually has bad connotations, whereas conditioning is usually not considered bad.

For example we call suicide bombers terrorists, while others call them freedom fights and martyrs.