FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stupid question...

S3nd K3ys
You know.. I've been thinking about this whole hurricane thing...

If you set off a nuke in the eye of a hurricane, would the shockwave have any effect? Possibly breaking up the hurricane?

They talk about the extreme low pressure at the eye of the hurricane. Why not relieve that low pressure with a small H-bomb and see what happens.

Also, a radioactive hurricane would cause refugees to glow in the dark, making night rescues easier.

Shocked
T3 Architect
it sounds like a little dangerous but it can be looked into
schudder
I thought the night rescue thing was a good idea...
But seriously...

When you set off an H-Bomb, you create an outwards exlosion, making the pressure in the eye EVEN LOWER! And I mean, pressure that would all of a sudden be non-existant :p
bogger
aye, instead of air getting pulled in, you might get the whole thing pulled in, hell, if you use MY twisted logic, you might even create a black hole, and then we're ALL fudged (well ,we'd be nonexistant actually, but you know what i mean)
psycosquirrel
Laughing

I like the idea of the glow in the dark thing...

This would obviously not work, because even if you could land a nuke in the middle of a hurricane, the environmental effects would be devasting. Also, it may cause it to get worse, like Schudder said.
Antwon
Why do you have all those enter lines? They make no sense to the topic. To many enter lines don't make things work. So, enter lines are evil! Evil!
waiteck
Antwon wrote:
Why do you have all those enter lines? They make no sense to the topic. To many enter lines don't make things work. So, enter lines are evil! Evil!

He is just curious whether a nuke bomb will "stop" the hurricane. Thats all.. I suppose you are here spamming? You might as well go t oall topics and repeat the same words you said?
gonzo
bogger wrote:
create a black hole

Actually an initial fear of nukes was that it might ignite the atmosphere and burn it all off in a frightening end of world style scenario.

S3nd K3ys wrote:

If you set off a nuke in the eye of a hurricane, would the shockwave have any effect? Possibly breaking up the hurricane?

Gonzo-illustrations:

problem 1:

problem 2:

While a nuke would do several interesting things:

- vaporize air
- explosition beyond the vaporization zone
- implosion

Imagine making waves in a pool. The water is suddenly gone. No more waves. Unfortunately there is still circular moving winds far far beyond the vaporization zone. They eyewall would simply be regenerated.. possibly more so if you superheat any seawater.

How many nukes were you planning on using? Wink
Emo_Core
there is only one way to find out, I say we all get together and whip up a makeshift h bomb and try it out on hurricane rita before that mofo takes out texas
gonzo
Emo_Core wrote:
whip up a makeshift h bomb

How much U238 do you have in your garage?
Emo_Core
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:

I don't think that's any of your business Very Happy and besides...it's in my basement.... O_o
gonzo
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:

I don't think that's any of your business Very Happy and besides...it's in my basement.... O_o

Oh so when you said 'we' you really meant come stand around while I build it and marvel at my magnificient self. gotcha.

Will you be building a stargate, too?
Emo_Core
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:

Oh so when you said 'we' you really meant come stand around while I build it and marvel at my magnificient self. gotcha.

If I tried to make an h bomb I would end up blowing up my basement some how, so help from you guys would be greatly appreciated Very Happy but i'd rather make the stargate first
gonzo
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:

If I tried to make an h bomb I would end up blowing up my basement some how, so help from you guys would be greatly appreciated Very Happy but i'd rather make the stargate first

Then you'll need a toaster, a microwave, and some wire. Got those?
Emo_Core
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:

no but I have a frozen chicken, a bar of soap, and a flashlight...will that work?
gonzo
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Emo_Core wrote:

no but I have a frozen chicken, a bar of soap, and a flashlight...will that work?

Combine that will your store of U238 and you can prepare dayglow fried chicken. Maybe you can figure out a way to turn your soap into a singularity...
the666bbq
the world is still recuperating from things like tsjernobyl, enola gay,... I think we still have enough radioactive particles to assure all sorts of cancers and unnatural mutations (where did all the gay come from the last couple of years) the next ages ... if you want to live near the coast, in your wooden villas you have to keep in mind that nature has some features in mind for warm water seas and oceans...
aethiops
hehe... at some point I see your point... Razz
but I dont think it will make it disapear... a hurricane (as i remeber it from school) is a low or high presure in the clouds... but perhaps... write a letter to Bush and ask what he have to say about your idea Razz no offence...
S3nd K3ys
gonzo wrote:

BUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Jack_Hammer
S3nd K3ys wrote:
gonzo wrote:

BUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Slightly crazy...

Jack.
Nameless
I don't think it would work. Aside from the practicalities of it (trying to get the bomb into the middle of it and detonate it without dangering anyone) it would probably just falter a bit. At best.
Rico
Detonating a thermonuclear device in the eye of a hurricane would most probably spend the life of the hurricane with quite an amount of efficiency. There will be no need to search for survivors, glowing or not. The pulverizing consequence of the bomb will deliver most life in the affected area to be extinct to say the least. Survivors (if any) would be in such a state of deterioration that trying to save them would only prolong their suffering as well as put the lives of the rescuers in great danger of radio active poisoning. Radio active poisoning not being so much a poison as a state of being roasted by your own body.

Pretty nasty, don’t you think?
justnewbie
S3nd K3ys wrote:
You know.. I've been thinking about this whole hurricane thing...

They talk about the extreme low pressure at the eye of the hurricane. Why not relieve that low pressure with a small H-bomb and see what happens.

Also, a radioactive hurricane would cause refugees to glow in the dark, making night rescues easier.

Shocked

What? Did you meant radioactive hurricane? Night rescues might be easier, but that costs their lives - radiation mutates organic cells don't they? And you'll risk the lives of the night rescuers too.

As for the pressure, what will the H-bomb do? Reduce or increase the pressure? Well, IMO, that doesn't matter, because what matters is the energy. Suppose that the hurricane gives out energy in a radial manner, if another H-bomb is detonated in the eye of the hurricane, isn't it that the energy increases? Then the speed of the hurricane increases, following by the size of it. Am I right?
z054301
Well when it comes to the pressure at the eye you'd pretty much expect a decrease in the pressure. The heat caused by the explosion would essentially superheat any gases in area, causing a rapid expansion of the gases. This of course means that the partial pressures exerted by the gases would decrease, and thus the overall pressure within the eye would decrease. I'd have to say thats probably not a good thing.
But then you'd have to look at the effect the expansion of the gases would have. Would that rapid expansion be able to counter-act the speed of the surrounding winds? When you consider the volume comparison between the surrounding winds, and the air that can take part, and the eye of the hurricane...well yea its doubful it would have a significant effect.
djcaution
lol this is the best post I've read all day! Laughing
albusa
mjum, your question is no stupid because it has logic, but, remember we must not play with the natural event. because it can make an stronger effect to the hurricane and make the perfect dissaster
Aless
My brain hurts.
jayandsilo
since you need an atom bomb to set off a hydrogen bomb do you think it would actually be less powerful than a hurricance? what a dumb question
Manofgames
hurricane + big bomb = 1 big problem.

Kaboom.... no more hurricane, tonnes more radiation, que screaming people shouting
Quote:
IT BURNS OH HOW IT BURNS

Shocked Hmm, I think this is a big da idea.

Who seconds me??
PatTheGreat42
H-Bombs are not nearly as powerful as you think. No where near. Even your average, mild thunderstorm releases much more energy than an H-bomb.

Hurricanes, of course, are much much MUCH bigger than thunderstorms, so much so you can't even start to comprehend the sheer energy released. An H-bomb is nothing compared to that. While I like the concept, tossing a nuclear device in the eye of a hurricane to try to stop it is like getting a sumo wrestler to stop a train at full speed. At first, you might think "Eh, the sumo wrestler is kinda big." Then you realize there is a giant 1000 ton train rushing at him at 40 miles per hour. His chances? Practically negative.
hack_man_
But the low pressure would be kinda cool, you wouldn't be able to breathe though...
Manofgames
They made a movie about somthing similar, where the earth's core stops rotating, so they put a h-bomb in it to kick start it again.

Not quite the same but simialr in the fact that they're using H-bombs to cure a problem with the earth.
moejoe
LOL.

Your Thread Title is soo correct.

This would be a great convo when you have those ramdom chats with your drunk friends at a partty.
lol.

I'll look into it.