FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows 7 RC on virtual PC 2007

riyadh
i want to test out the windows 7 RC but i don't want to overwrite my current vista installation or dual-boot it.instead i want to install it on a virtual machine using Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 as a guest OS.is it supported?if not then i have to download VirtualBox or VMWare.
noah
Give it a try in VPC2007. I'm sure it will work. If not pick up VMware for windows, if I remember correctly there is a free version to use called "Vmware Server".

If you have any other questions let me know. I love the VmWare stuff. I use it at home and work and it works great!
riyadh
nah i did a little bit of research...it seems Windows 7 is an unsupported guest OS.i downloaded Virtual Box which does support Windows 7 Smile
Fake
for a true measure , install it on a spare pc
must better than running it virtually. how else wud u know if the system is smooth and worth using if u dont run it independently?
noah
Fake wrote:
for a true measure , install it on a spare pc
must better than running it virtually. how else wud u know if the system is smooth and worth using if u dont run it independently?

Not true.
Fatality
I love VurtualBox. Been using it for school and personal use a lot. The only limitations are the lack of "virtual hardware" and a few other things. Windows 7 RC1 should run the same in a VM as it would on a physical machine.
aningbo
i wonder how's this new operating system? is it worth the upgrade?

i heard from people that it will run on any system with even 256MB RAM!?
Fire Boar
aningbo wrote:
i wonder how's this new operating system? is it worth the upgrade?

i heard from people that it will run on any system with even 256MB RAM!?

RAM is not the only factor to consider. Processing power is also significant. You wouldn't be able to install Windows 7 on an old i586, for example. Also, I think 256 MB is very unlikely. While Windows 7 is essentially a slimmed down version of Vista that doesn't suck horribly, there's no way Microsoft managed to get the whole works on offer down from 1 GB to 256 MB. If you try to run it on such a lacking machine, performance will be severely degraded as the system performs constant swapping.