FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to speed up my computer?

har1236
Hello,

From last few days my desktop PC is working very slowly. What I have to do to speed up my PC? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
RAM: 2GB
HD: 350 GB
Mother Board: Giga Byte

I am using Office2007 in my PC. I have enable firewall. Can I disable it? If so, then how to protect my pc from virus attack?
william
I wouldn't disable the firewall.

Anyway, first you should defragment the hard drive if you haven't done so recently. Other than that, you can disable processes that you don't need. You could disable system restore, compression, and indexing. Also, you could disable services (go to Run and type "services.msc") that aren't necessary. There are many tweaks you can do to speed things up, but if I were you, I would also consider doing a complete reformat and reinstalling Windows. It will surely keep your system clean and efficient.
noah
Are you sure there isn't malware/virus activity going on ?

I would do the following:

1. Check start up services and disable/uninstall all programs.

2. Run ccleaner and delete temp files

3. Defrag your computer

4. Buy more Ram

Let me know if you need further explanation or have any other questions.
Donutey
har1236 wrote:
Hello,

From last few days my desktop PC is working very slowly. What I have to do to speed up my PC? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
RAM: 2GB
HD: 350 GB
Mother Board: Giga Byte

I am using Office2007 in my PC. I have enable firewall. Can I disable it? If so, then how to protect my pc from virus attack?

Do what everyone else said. Now, go to Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs and then remove all the programs that you are no longer using. Many programs load or preload on startup, this consumes ram and makes the startup time much longer than it needs to be.

Another option is to just tell the offending programs to not load on startup (usually by right clicking the icon in the toolbar (bottom right of start bar) and then preferences --> do not load on startup))
fuhgeddaboutit
work slower Laughing nah just kidding.

1. like the other said: Defrag your C: drive.
2. check in proccess manager of there is any app hogging up the CPU or using a lot of memory.
you have 2meg so that should be more then enough.

I wouldn't disable the firewall, I doubt it that your firewall is slowing your machine down.

are we talking about slow internet or just slow when starting applications?

check for tuneup utilities, there is a video on youtube with a serial... Wink

check your virtual RAM and the available space of your C: drive

if you don't have antivirus... get one... I use Avira Antivir, a free and descent AV
Peterssidan
Reinstalling Windows is often the most effective and easiest thing to do, but it's not always fun, I know.

Anti virus programs can slow down the computer quite a bit but the viruses will probably make it worse so it's probably best to keep the anti virus on (except if you never are connected to the internet and never install 'untrusted' programs Wink).

Push MS flag + R and write msconfig. Take a look under the startup and service tab. Disable all items you don't need. Use google to know what each item is if you are not sure.

... or install GNU/Linux instead. ; )
weableandbob
Try cleaning out your registry with ccleaner or another program, as well as all the other things people said.
ssweat
They are free to use and safe. I use all three. Spybot Search and Destroy(make sure its this one there are many bad similar products), Adaware, and my favorite Malwarebytes. I usually run disk cleanup on all my drives then I defrag them all after I run these and remove programs. I used to use regcleaner but it does not support dual processors yet, but reg cleaning really helps get rid of those extra registry entries.
eshazz
I suggest you buy more RAM, and also do a system restore. You can go to Command Prompt and right click it and click on rus as administrator, then when you get into Command Prompt write

defrag c: -w

it will give c drive a fresh start and delete all fragmented files.
Pepperfan
Before you do anything to drastic. Scan for viruses and spyware.

charles
gilwe
CCleaner can help in cleaning out the trash and temporary data you have in your system,
which also can help a bit. I use it once a week or so, try it !
gilwe
Also, cleaning the dust laying inside your computer case, checking that all fans are working as they should and that the components do not overheat - is a good idea. Overheating CPU, Video card or hard drive can make your computer run slow.
joostvane
How old is the install of your windows? I format my computer every 6 months or so. When you browse alot, install all it, it leaves a lot of stuff behind that you can't uninstall.

When I format and reinstall Windows, my PC runs as good as new =)
Beny
Same PC as mine i just wiped everything off and started from blank even though still goes slow.
Lol think its just me anyway you could try it.

- Beny
ForceRun
You should try giving Windows 7 a try if you can get a copy of the RC1 or just wait and buy it when it comes out in a month or so. I installed it on some of my older systems and really helped give them new life. Normally I'm anti-winders, but Windows 7 is a solid clean running system.
aningbo
Are you sure there isn't malware/virus activity going on ?

I would do the following:

1. Check start up services and disable/uninstall all programs.

2. Run ccleaner and delete temp files

3. Defrag your computer

4. Buy more Ram

Let me know if you need further explanation or have any other questions.

why dont u "format" the system and reinstall a fresh copy?
David_Pardy
Please do NOT confuse formatting the computer with reinstalling Windows.

Formatting the drive will ERASE EVERYTHING ON IT.

Why have you people not mentioned this?

Furthermore, reinstalling Windows is definitely not the only solution to making your computer run a bit quicker.

I work in IT and have done so for several years, and by far the most simple ways (in this order) to speed your machine up are:

1. Scan for and clean Spyware/Malware. I use Super Anti Spyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

2. Use a combination of HijackThis and MSCONFIG to determine any programs which can be removed from Startup. Most 'Speed Launchers' for programs such as Adobe Reader really bog your system's starting time down.

3. Use Firefox instead of IE. That makes you much less vulnerable to 'drive-by infections' when browsing the Internet.

4. If certain Windows components are broken beyond simple repair, reinstalling the latest service pack will most likely repair these components.

5. Go to Start -> Run and type in "eventvwr" without quotes. Look in the System and Application tabs for any errors to try to isolate what's going wrong. If your computer has made a sudden change in performance, this is the first thing you should check.

6. Go to the Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs, and remove anything you don't use anymore which you're certain you don't really need.

7. Go to Start -> Run and type in "%temp%" without quotes. Delete everything in here which is more than a few days old. My normal practise with this is to close all my open programs, then delete everything in the temp directory. I do this once every couple of months, I'm forgetful.

8. Defrag the hard drive. You probably won't actually notice much difference, but it's better to do this regularly anyway.