FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Slayer and Manson

Afaceinthematrix
Quote:
It's possible to argue that Slayer is the only of the so-called "Big Four" American thrash-metal bands that has never done anything truly embarrassing. The band's music has remained as aggressive and noisy as it's ever been, and since Dave Lombardo returned in 2001, Slayer has regained the rhythmic complexity it lost during the nine that Paul Bostaph, a hard-hitting but unsubtle player, played drums. In September, it'll be releasing World Painted Blood, its ninth studio album and the follow-up to 2006's Christ Illusion. Says Lombardo: "I really like it a lot more than any since [1988's] South of Heaven, [1990's] Seasons [in the Abyss] and [1986's] Reign in Blood. The ones we did from '86 to '90, there was magic there, and I think this record has that quality."

When it was promoting Christ Illusion, Slayer toured with Marilyn Manson. Despite being an odd pairing on its face, it must have sold tickets: The band's doing it again this summer. (Lombardo admits to being a sometime fan, saying, "I like Manson's heavier stuff.") He's hoping some of Slayer's intensity will rub off on Manson, though. "The last tour was full of the very slow, trudging stuff," he recalls. "I wanted to hear some energy, some pounding drums, some fire."

The article continues....

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2009-07-15/music/summer-tour-with-marilyn-manson-forthcoming-lp-world-painted-blood-metal-gods-slayer-no-signs-of-slowing-down/

Can anyone think of a more interesting combination than Slayer and Marilyn Manson? I was rather shocked to find out that they'd be touring together (there are also other bands on this tour - The Mayhem Festival). I must admit that I went and saw them just because I wanted to see Slayer. But I was impressed with the show that Manson put on - he was able to keep even the die-hard Slayer fans entertained... but then again, Manson's interesting stage ethics are always entertaining.

I also think that the author of the article made a good point when referring to Slayer and "The Big Four (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer)." Slayer is the only band that managed to keep its original style and stay just as heavy as they were from the beginning (even though I do prefer Megadeth and Metallica over Slayer).

Anyways... Like I already asked: Can anyone think of a more interesting combination of bands that they've seen on tour or heard about on tour together?
tingkagol
It has nothing to do with touring, but Josh Homme (QOTSA), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), and John Paul Jones (Led Zep) are currently recording an album together. Homme is trying to get Mike Patton to join.
liljp617
I don't really care for Manson. I like a couple songs of his, but it's too "needy" for me...too many attempts at shock value songs. He's a really intelligent guy though and I can respect the thought he puts into his music.

I can only do Slayer when I'm in a certain mood or really just want to listen to them Razz It's not something I can have on in the background while doing other things. Awesome band though, the epitome of thrash metal and yes, they've maintained their persona from day one.

I can't really say I think them never doing anything embarrassing is that great of a compliment; I think they're a fairly one trick pony and don't experiment or try to show any versatility (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), so I don't see how they could do anything embarrassing.

I'm not an expert on Megadeth by any means, but I don't know of anything they've done that I would really deem embarrassing.

Anyway, I think Manson + Slayer is a cool combo and would make for some amazing, high intensity shows...and obviously a lot of darkness haha..I can't think of a more interesting combo. I can think of bands I'd rather go see live, but that's probably one of the more unique combos, especially in metal.
Afaceinthematrix
liljp617 wrote:
I don't really care for Manson. I like a couple songs of his, but it's too "needy" for me...too many attempts at shock value songs. He's a really intelligent guy though and I can respect the thought he puts into his music.

I do agree that some of Manson's songs can be a little needy for the shock values... But it does make for a Hell of a show.

Quote:
I can only do Slayer when I'm in a certain mood or really just want to listen to them :P It's not something I can have on in the background while doing other things. Awesome band though, the epitome of thrash metal and yes, they've maintained their persona from day one.

I can never get enough of Slayer... But then again, I've always been into Satanism and found it quite interesting... That, with the combination of the love for heavy riffs and guitar solos, is probably what got me into metal... I can have Slayer on in the background.

Quote:
I can't really say I think them never doing anything embarrassing is that great of a compliment; I think they're a fairly one trick pony and don't experiment or try to show any versatility (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), so I don't see how they could do anything embarrassing.

While I didn't quite agree with them making anything embarrassing, I mainly took it as Slayer stayed true to their original style. The songs off their new album are just as good as some of their old songs.

And you do have a point about them not experimenting any like other bands... I actually rather liked both Load and Reload by Metallica. Even though it wasn't all metal, they did make some great songs from other genres (like country in Mama Said).

Quote:
I'm not an expert on Megadeth by any means, but I don't know of anything they've done that I would really deem embarrassing.

You should definitely try out Megadeth a little more (since you said you're not an expert on them). Megadeth is my favorite out of the "Big Four." I would check out their album Rust in Peace (it's a musical masterpiece). I think Megadeth is probably the most musically talented out of the Big Four (although people usually prefer Metallica because James' voice is much better; his old voice was raw, angry, and had some harmony to it).

Quote:
Anyway, I think Manson + Slayer is a cool combo and would make for some amazing, high intensity shows...and obviously a lot of darkness haha..I can't think of a more interesting combo. I can think of bands I'd rather go see live, but that's probably one of the more unique combos, especially in metal.

That's what I figured... I can probably think of bands I prefer to see and that may put on a better show, musically. But I couldn't really think of a more interesting or unique combination (as far as metal goes). That's why I posted it here (to see if other people could).