FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A "General" scripting forum

Hogwarts
Heya folks,

So there I was wondering about the theory behind ratings. Effectively, an optimal way to calculate user-based instantaneous (i.e. not following review) ratings, diverging from the 1-5 stars or thumbs-up and thumbs-down system. So, I thought to myself, let's go make a post on Frihost.

The problem is, there is no suitable location to post this. Under all Scripting (although it really should be called Scripting/Programming, or software creation and adaptation) category, there is "Html, CSS and Javascript" (which should really be titled HTML, CSS and JavaScript, anyway), "Php and MySQL" (which should equally be titled "PHP and MySQL", or even "PHP and SQL", given that SQL is basically uniform with only small divergences), "Website Software" and "Others". The problem here, is that there's no forum through which to discuss
  • Theory
  • General programming concepts (i.e. factories, MVC, whatever)
  • Applications
  • Applied systems (such as an alternative way of calculating the ratings I aforementioned)

or basically anything else programming-related with the exception of rudimentary support for various languages. Given that this is a forum which is nearly entirely oriented at people interested in such things (even if it's just HTML or CMS usage), this could really be improved. Also, it may be more profitable for Bondings to make incoming traffic from Google for people looking for such things (i.e. if somebody wants to learn about the pros and cons of using the model-view-controller pattern) and thus would generate revenue for Frihost.

Really, I'd be glad to see this board implemented and would try to actively post in it, so I should hope that it can be created-- and can't see any reasons why it can't be. So, all that remains is for Bondings to consider this.
ocalhoun
Now, if only it worked in a forum/sub-forum way, you'd be able to post it in the parent forum...

... thinks about it for a bit...

By doing this, you could also eliminate the 'general science' and 'languages and translation' forums.
snowboardalliance
ocalhoun wrote:
Now, if only it worked in a forum/sub-forum way, you'd be able to post it in the parent forum...

By doing this, you could also eliminate the 'general science' and 'languages and translation' forums.

Well doesn't phpBB3 support that? And will Frihost ever upgrade to it? I mean I love this site, but it would be nice to use the latest version.
ocalhoun
snowboardalliance wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well doesn't phpBB3 support that? And will Frihost ever upgrade to it?

Pretty much, no, there will never be a phpBB3 Frihost.
There's just been too much custom-coding done... and all of it would have to be re-done for a phpBB3 upgrade.

There are subforum mods available for phpBB2 though... Frihost's system could be based off of one of those. Do they have a subforum mod that is compatible with cash mod yet?
noah
Edited To Remove Suggestion covered in FAQ.
rvec
please get back on topic. Upgrading to phpBB3 has been suggested a lot of times and it will not happen in the near feature.

The reasons where;
bondings doesn't have time
there's too much coding to be done
phpbb2 isn't safe, but this modded version is save enough
Hogwarts
*shock paddles*

Could we please set this up? Science has 6 forums, and this is a forum at least half comprised of coders and the like! Sad
Ghost Rider103
This is a good idea, and one that really does need to happen. I personally think all of the forums need to be changed up, as we have so many duplicates of everything.

Is Bondings still around? I haven't seen him post in quite some time.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
This is a good idea, and one that really does need to happen. I personally think all of the forums need to be changed up, as we have so many duplicates of everything.

He must be on holiday.

Agreed. Also, the IT/Internet/Website design/scripting etc forums probably need to be higher up in the list, as logically we join because we would like to get our Websites up, and want to learn. We also have some really good talent in terms of really qualified IT, graphics and script people and may be losing out on a lot of postings by them and learning opportunities because these forums are disorganized and discouraging people from posting. The reason why people are posting more under chat, news, philosophy, etc., is because these forums are well organized and it is easy to find your way around, almost effortless. The reason why there are less postings under the IT, Website and design forums and sub-forums must be because they are not well organized. I always feel clumsy when I want to post something in those forums as I'm never sure which forum I should be posting in. If I am looking for something to do with Websites, I have to click around quite a while before I land at the right forum and sometimes when I am short of time, I just simply give up and click away. Smile
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

He must be on holiday.

Agreed. Also, the IT/Internet/Website design/scripting etc forums probably need to be higher up in the list, as logically we join because we would like to get our Websites up, and want to learn. We also have some really good talent in terms of really qualified IT, graphics and script people and may be losing out on a lot of postings by them and learning opportunities because these forums are disorganized and discouraging people from posting. The reason why people are posting more under chat, news, philosophy, etc., is because these forums are well organized and it is easy to find your way around, almost effortless. The reason why there are less postings under the IT, Website and design forums and sub-forums must be because they are not well organized. I always feel clumsy when I want to post something in those forums as I'm never sure which forum I should be posting in. If I am looking for something to do with Websites, I have to click around quite a while before I land at the right forum and sometimes when I am short of time, I just simply give up and click away. Smile

I completely agree with this. The forums here are not well organized at all. I too feel clumsy when posting something in the forums below because there isn't a main topic for my usual subjects.

My usual subjects of course being Design, have no actual main category on this forum. Which is actually a huge bummer for me, because I am active on this forum more than any other forum I visit. I'd really like to have a place where every designer on this forum would go, and not be split up between so many different categories.

If the forums were organized better here, my post count would go up much quicker, because I would enjoy posting more.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
If the forums were organized better here, my post count would go up much quicker, because I would enjoy posting more.
I'm not as knowledgeable about Website design, but am very interested and like to learn, so probably would have asked a lot of questions etc. if there had been regular postings. I might not have done that with stuff that goes above my head, but I would have had an opportunity to learn, and participation would have helped that and of course increased the postings.
Clarke
This does sound like a very good idea, indeed Smile

I was only just looking for these forums, and was wondering where they were! Surely they can be added at the cost of only an insubstantial amount of time? Maybe only some modifications to the database, even (unless, of course, phpBB provides an alternative means to create them?)

Rvec wrote:
The reasons where;
bondings doesn't have time
there's too much coding to be done

Does that put these forum suggestions out of the question, then? The original post is almost three months old, and this issue doesn't appear to have been resolved. Does this mean that it's out of the question to ask for further forums, too? I would certainly have liked to see a forum purely oriented to compiled languages (or, at the least, C and C++) Sad

Edit: Fixed a minor typographical error
ocalhoun
Clarke wrote:

I would certainly have liked to see a forum purely oriented to compiled languages (or, at the least, C# and C++) Sad

That might be worthy of it's own suggestion topic.