FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Chrome OS

nathanpc
Hello,
I' heard about the OS that Google is developing, then i'm here showing up to you: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
Pepperfan
Hey nathanpc,

Don't get me wrong, I love Google, but Google is going to have to prove this one to me. I just do not know if there is a need/market for it.

Charles
the-guide
Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks.

They (Google) said that "It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be." also "Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we (Google) will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010."

They also said that any time users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet.

I've found related articles may be you're interested:

Why Google is stealing Apple's ideas,
Code:
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/10/google-apple-schmidt-technology-enterprise-tech-google.html

Google operating system raises Apple antitrust issues
Code:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/technology/companies/09apple.html

Smile
misterXY
l think it's going too be more of an android os not chrome.......
Fake
i used chrome a few months ago
the thing is being google, it seemed like the best thing to do was to install it

but it came with so much negative publicity about tracking and storing information, i had to uninstall it out of fear

so never really tried it to be honest

firefox is just a memory hog, but more trust worthy
Twotone
I think Google should be commended for even trying, not easy to break into such a market.
New systems and innovations can only make things better for the consumer.....even if it only gives us more of a choice. Waiting patiently to see how this pans out.
fullmetalalki
google is pretty much starting a war against microsoft, trying to completely take it over. i'm kinda looking forward to it but i'd only have to really feel adventurous to install it. but i think i'd install linux first.
Fatality
I still prefer Firefox to Chrome. I too like Google as a search engine, but am going to be very hesitant to use any software, especially an OS, of theirs.
the-guide
But... I think Google are attempting to spy more and more about our online activities (like they've been doing by their previous products that we've been joining or even joined with them), it's seem that they are attempting to know all about us for only their business gain. Mad

I believe and pretty sure like that.

Or you think different?

Are you believe in the privacy which they always promise to keep it for us? Mad
shenyl
I will be one looking forward to use it, even with all the voices over privacy.

Are we sure Microsoft is not "eyeing" us with the windows OS?

Linux is community developed and we trust that will not happen, but not for those that the distro had added and enhanced.

If Google is going to succeed with this Google Chrome OS, it has to open-source to the community and then the risk of spying is eliminated - which I believe is to Google's own advantage.

The point of the Google Chrome OS, as seen in use of Web Services in Google DOC, and Microsoft offering similar Web Services of the scale down version of MS Office on the Internet - points to the fact that in the near future, there is likely a big wave moving into "Computing on the Internet" - all the users really need is a browser and an Internet connection - no need for specialized PC based software.

As years ago, the then Novell CEO stated - The Internet is the Computer.

This is see will be coming to reality with mobile computing users (Netbooks) and with Web Services.

Of course, we still have to wait till Online storage space is free and large enough.

With regards.
the-guide
That's also right, another interesting point of view, "shenyl".
noah
Just a reminder Google Chrome the OS and Google Chrome the Web Browser are two different products. Although, I'm sure the OS will use the Browser.
shenyl
Yes, Noah is right -

Quote:
Just a reminder Google Chrome the OS and Google Chrome the Web Browser are two different products. Although, I'm sure the OS will use the Browser.

The Google Chrome OS - is nothing more than a base platform so that Chrome browser can run on top of it.

The battle as I see, is not the OS but the web browser. Which web browser will dominate the world of IT? That is the battle - and there are many reasons behind this.

1. The Internet advertisement market is so huge (Global reach)
2. The Internet advertisement market is so profitable (Just see Google stock price compare to Microsoft) - Microsoft is coveting this revenue.
3. The Internet is becoming the COMPUTER rather than just the ROUTER - from pure connectivity, the Internet now provides a long range of Web Services from Personal to B2B, B2C, B2G. The power to process is not longer in your PC, but within the Web.

If power is on the web not the PC, then the only link from your PC to this World Wide Processing Power is the BROWSER.

Google Chrome OS is merely freeing up the underlying dominance of MS in the OS, to allow a complete Google solution to use the Internet Power (OS plus browser). If Google Chrome OS goes well, I will suspect Google to provide many other underlying software so that Google grip on the browser and the Internet cannot be shaken.

Yes - 2 different software - one a browser, the other an operating system - but both essential to Google because of Google leadership and profit lies on the Internet.

With regards.
vasvaas
I think it will take years for google to beat microsoft at this rate. Google wave and the chrome OS will be an amazing product.
aningbo
i would like to try my hands on google operating system though.

it might not beat microsoft in the near future but google has been a good developer and it would be a great relief to have a simple operating system that takes minimal hardware.
Bannik
i think google chrome is perfect...

if the OS can make my web browsing better i am all for it....cause thats all we will need in the future...everything can be done online there is actually no need for software anymore.....(unless you live somewhere without the internet or free wireless like tibet or something)
truespeed
I like Chrome,its the first browser i click up now as all my most visited sites are there straight away to be clicked on. It looks good,its fast,i can see a point where it may even over take firefox as the 2nd most used browser.
austinmark
hmm... Google crome is very fast,reliable nice software brought out by google .I think it is one of the best os and will be the best .I am presently using google crome only
draok
is there anyone here can put the picture preview of it?. i want to learn it and try.
ForceRun
Other than stomping on Microsoft ground, in the Google vs Microsoft war, this really is not a big deal. It will just be a Google favor of Linux, with the same problems, joys, and dealos as linux. If you want to try Chrome-OS just install a simple Linux and run Chrome Web browser, which I'm not a personal fan of in anyway. And you should get the feel of what they are going to do. So really this doesn't matter to most of us here. And it has been done before.