FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UK street legality laws...

ocalhoun
In the UK, are there any required regular inspections of a vehicle to make sure it is roadworthy and/or meets emissions standards?

I'm thinking of putting Lakenheath as my #1 base of preference to transfer to, and if I did go, I would bring this:

It would struggle with any road worthiness test, and certainly fail any emissions test though. So, is that something I would have to worry about in the UK?
deanhills
Hmmmm ..... Think I can't picture it in the narrow roads of England, maybe not even on the highways, I have not seen anything like this there before. You know they drive on the wrong side of the road in England, so you will have to change the position of the steering wheel and driver's seat .... Shocked Laughing
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Hmmmm ..... Think I can't picture it in the narrow roads of England, maybe not even on the highways,

Bah, you should see some of the trails I take it on. It needs exactly 7 feet... If I've got that, I'm good. I've gotten accustomed to driving it with only inches of clearance on either side.
Quote:
I have not seen anything like this there before.

That's why I would want to bring it ^.^ It would be absolutely unique there, turning heads wherever it goes... It might also sell for a very nice price, given that it's nearly impossible to get a comparable truck there.
Quote:
You know they drive on the wrong side of the road in England, so you will have to change the position of the steering wheel and driver's seat .... Shocked Laughing

I figured I could just leave it where it was... though they are rare, you do occasionally see a car with a driver's side on the wrong side, either from being imported, or from being made to be a mail carrier. It would be a little inconvenient at times, and hard to get used to, but I was under the impression that it would be legal.
Vrythramax
deanhills wrote:
Hmmmm ..... Think I can't picture it in the narrow roads of England, maybe not even on the highways, I have not seen anything like this there before. You know they drive on the wrong side of the road in England, so you will have to change the position of the steering wheel and driver's seat .... Shocked Laughing

I'm pretty sure they think they are driving on the proper side of the road, and considering they were doing it before the US was (with horses anyway) who's to tell them they are the ones who are wrong. You wouldn't have to change the drive side of the car on an import...we don't on British imports in the US...unless it's a model made for use in the west. Some Jaguars, Bentlys, and Minis are perfect examples.
ocalhoun
And yet, nobody can tell me if there are any inspections it would have to pass...

I'd assume such a densely populated place would have emissions testing, but can anybody give me the rules for it? Is it a yearly test, or only for new vehicles being made? Are 1974 model cars exempt? Would there be an inspection upon arriving there, or perhaps upon registering it?

Does the UK have a 'full coverage' fender law? (The fenders being required to cover the entire tire...) Are there exemptions to that, if it exists?
guggs
Leave it where it is - the last thing this country needs is another ridiculous gas-guzzling, pollution-spitting monostrity like that. In fact, the whole world could do with one less so why not scrap it and do the planet a favour ?
ocalhoun
guggs wrote:
Leave it where it is - the last thing this country needs is another ridiculous gas-guzzling, pollution-spitting monostrity like that. In fact, the whole world could do with one less so why not scrap it and do the planet a favour ?

It wasn't built to be environmentally friendly, it was built to fight and win the battle of man vs. nature...

Some people will always need and/or want the capabilities this truck has, and it's impossible to get those capabilities in an environmentally friendly way.
truespeed
All cars on UK roads must have passed an MOT.

Details about the MOT testing procedures.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
All cars on UK roads must have passed an MOT.

Details about the MOT testing procedures.

Now THAT is helpful. Thank you!

After looking through it, I see I'll probably have to fix the windshield and install a horn, and that an addition of a catalytic converter to the exhaust might be a good idea. Also, I'll have to do the brake work I was planning on doing anyway. Also, I'd have to do a little cleaning, to make sure they don't know that the gas tank leaks when very full and at an extreme angle. It won't leak on a level(ish) road.
slashnburn99
type in goggle MOT Britain

There are emmisions tests, rust, basically the mot means that your car can run for a year, however this doesnt mean it is okay for a year, if tyres are run down for example during this time you can still be fined
ocalhoun
slashnburn99 wrote:
type in goggle MOT Britain

There are emmisions tests, rust, basically the mot means that your car can run for a year, however this doesnt mean it is okay for a year, if tyres are run down for example during this time you can still be fined

I'd have to clean off all rust and have good tires!?!

... well, actually the tire tread is fine... they just run flat in a week; as long as I filled them before the inspection, they'd pass...

How much rust (and rust on what parts) is acceptable though?