FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Repair Tech Warranty

Tony The Tiger
In 2007, I purchased a Canon Powershot TX-1 camera on eBay using my American Express Gold Card. I also bought an 8GB SD card and a 3 year extended warranty by Repair Tech. My camera is now out of order. I am getting a message "Lens error restart camera" when I attempt to turn on my camera. I called Canon and they said this could mean many things including a rundown battery. Unfortunately, it was not a rundown battery. Repair Tech seems not to be in business anymore. I can not get through to their phone numbers (1-877-418-TECH and 1-888-418-TECH) and their website (www.myrepairtech.com) seems to be down. The eBay seller who sold me the warranty is screening his or her calls and not responding to emails. I think this was a common extended service plan in 2007 on eBay. I am not sure what to do to attempt to get my coverage. Is anyone familiar with this service? What should I do?
Tony The Tiger
Does anyone have any experience fighting with eBay over matters such as where someone sells a service and then the service is not able to be performed. I have contacted eBay and they say they are going to try to contact the seller on my behalf. How do these types of things work out. I mean I bought a camera with a 1-year warranty and 3-year extended warranty two years ago. I think I should still be able to get a camera with two remaining years of warranty protection somehow.
Donutey
Extended warranties are almost never worth it, they either turn out to be scams, or they are grossly overpriced (remember how much an electronic product depreciates in value).

If the company is out of business, it's probably because they went bankrupt (in which case you'll get no money or service). However, if it was because of legal action you may be entitled to some refund (doubtful). I really doubt you can get any money from the seller, since it was a third party service.

Best of luck with your endeavor.
Pepperfan
Sorry Tony T,

You are out of luck. There is no way that eBay is going to do anything. You seller is not going to do anything if you can find him.

You will save yourself time and aggravation if you call Cannon and see if they will do an out of warranty repair. Many digital product companies will. just make sure it isn't more cost effective to buy a new camera.

Unless Cannon will not do an out of warranty repair I would not go to a third party because often all they do is send the camera in to Cannon and then charge you a fee do do it. Which you could have done yourself.

Charles
Tony The Tiger
Donutey wrote:
Extended warranties are almost never worth it, they either turn out to be scams, or they are grossly overpriced (remember how much an electronic product depreciates in value).

If the company is out of business, it's probably because they went bankrupt (in which case you'll get no money or service). However, if it was because of legal action you may be entitled to some refund (doubtful). I really doubt you can get any money from the seller, since it was a third party service.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

What do you know about the Square Trade warranties that eBay seems to offer as a part of their service. Are they affiliated with eBay. Would eBay stand behind a Square Trade warranty if the company stopped providing service? Is the company a division of eBay? My Garmin has a square trade warranty. Also, I have the Apple extended original warranty for my iPod and a three-year extended warranty from Hewlett Packard. Does my credit card company likely extend these warranties?
Tony The Tiger
Pepperfan wrote:
Sorry Tony T,

You are out of luck. There is no way that eBay is going to do anything. You seller is not going to do anything if you can find him.

You will save yourself time and aggravation if you call Cannon and see if they will do an out of warranty repair. Many digital product companies will. just make sure it isn't more cost effective to buy a new camera.

Unless Cannon will not do an out of warranty repair I would not go to a third party because often all they do is send the camera in to Cannon and then charge you a fee do do it. Which you could have done yourself.

Charles

It looks like I will be without a camera for some time then. eBay had said they would contact the seller on my behalf, but I have not heard from them.