FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LAN Problems

MonkeyWrench
Hi, my lan has suddenly stopped working, the lan cables are plugged in, but on the client computer its now saying the network cable is unplugged and the network light if off. but the cable is plugged in, whats wrong with it and how can i solve it?

thanks
babumuchhala
The networks gone down somewhere.

The cable might have been cut off somewhere or the nearest switch box where the signal is recharged & from where the wire come to your PC must have had a pwer faliure or someone switched off its power.
Sunny
Many reasons for that, check if

a) Both pcs are on.
b) Ethernet network card on server is enabled.
c) RJ 45'S Sockets are fiirmly in, if you have a crimping tool u can always try crimping it again. and make sure its a cross cable if you want to connect pc to pc (wthout a hub or switch)
d) check wire for any physical damages.
e) Try going to network preperties and disabling and enabling the connection.

If still cant connect then check the wire on some other source(using switch or another pc) .....change pci slot for lan card.....try different lan card.
MonkeyWrench
its the cable from the host pc to the client.

sunny can u help me more with "crimping" it, i presume thats chopping part of the end of cable and re connecting it to the clip?

its just one end of the line where it wont pick it up. would the wire being bent affect it?
mostarac
@MonkeyWrench: Please visit http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html Cool
billgertz
here are the possible solutions:

check for socket error
check for ethernet cable continuity
check for check for faulty RJ45
or it possible that your ehternet card is busted.
Summer
I tried that b4 , but it will reconnect automatically .
MonkeyWrench
that website is helpful, however do you think its possible that the cable wont work because of bends in the cable?
Frag
Is your LAN on your motherboard or on a network card, if its a network card check that its in properly, check that all the connections on the wire and the port are not damaged. Next check the cable, if it goes through a wall take your PC downstairs and try another cable from your switch or router. If its still not working try and make sure your LAN is enabled on your motherboard or Network Card settings. If it still does not work after that then buy a new network card.
michiel
Hi,

On themselves, bends in cables should not stop them from functioning, but sharp bends or bending it too often, might result in one or multiple wires inside the cable being broken.
That's the only way I would say bends can obstruct your connection.

Michiel