FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Robust thread monitoring

microkosm
I'm probably missing something but when I have used other forums, there are detailed ways to monitor replies to my threads/posts. The only option I see on my forum account page is to get emailed every time sometime posts a reply. I don't want to get cluttered with emails every time this happens.

In the other forums, you could subscribe to a list of threads, at which point you would recieve notification of any changes in your account page. There was also the option of being emailed with all replies once a week, etc.

Are my options limited right now because my status is "new frihoster" or did I overlook the obvious?
Roald
No, there just isn't such a thing on Frihost. And I never thought of it before, but I think it's a really good suggestion for Frihost, it would be a huge improvement.
Now let's hope that Bondings looks at your post and feels motivated!
microkosm
I think experienced posters who had this feature would be more motivated to post. Right now I'm monitoring five or so threads that I am involved in. However to do that I login, click on "posts", and click on every link to each post to check if a reply has been posted. It's not absolutely necessary (otherwise it would've been implemented long ago) but it does make life easier.
ocalhoun
Personally, I use the email, and set up a special folder, and a sorting rule that puts all frihost emails into that folder, so I still get notified without cluttering the main inbox.

I guess a 'favorite topics' function might work okay though.
microkosm
That's a good idea. If the mods have no desire to implement a favorite thread function (for technical reasons or otherwise) I'll start doing what you do with email filtering. In fact, I'll try that right now and see how it works.
[FuN]goku
Strangely enough , i was thinking about coding myself an app in C# to watch threads for me (i'm too lazy to open a browser sometimes Razz ) . Either by specifying a thread to the application, or, making it watch the "View posts since last visit" page and parsing stuff from there. I probably won't be bothered to code it though.

But i think that it would be pretty cool if we had a feature like that in the forums Razz
microkosm
Quote:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:39 pm Post subject:
Strangely enough , i was thinking about coding myself an app in C# to watch threads for me (i'm too lazy to open a browser sometimes Razz ).

Stop giving me ideas. Wink That made me remember RSS feeds for threads that I came across on other boards. I'm still supportive of the original idea (ie a favorite threads function), but RSS feeds would also be welcome.

Methinks that these ideas haven't been implemented for technical reasons. One can always hope I suppose.
Bondings
I will probably implement a way to subscribe to topics and then seeing them in a list or similar. However, it might not be for soon, sorry.
microkosm
Understandable. Thanks for the acknowledgement Smile