FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My fish died today...

medesignz
Not sad, but abit MEH about it... had him a little over a year, and was always so cheerful...

Shall miss him over the next couple of weeks Laughing
youandmephotography
Aw, I'm sorry medesignz. It's always sad to see a pet go.

What kind of fish was he/she?

Wow! I can't believe that your fish lived an entire year though! That's a true sign of good care! My fish would only last about 6 months.

Well I'm truly sorry.
wellerchap
very, very fragile things, fish....so easy to let the water conditions upset them.
I kept tropical fish for a couple of years, but eventually they all died, leaving me feeling a bit helpless.
Hope you're soon feeling better.
steve1200
It's allways hard to lose somebody.

BUt, one year for a fish is really great. Congratulations!
jabce85
depending on the type of fish, a year may have been a good life span.
ocalhoun
For your next fish, try this link:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/beginnerinfo/a/lifespan.htm
That should help you pick one that should live for a long time (for a fish).
Just print it out and take it with you to a pet shop... Then when you see a fish you like, look at the list to see how long they usually live (keeping in mind that the fish wasn't born the day you first saw it).
medesignz
Thanks for your words... its all good!

I may very well use the list, thanks for the tips Laughing
chatterbox
awwwww ): im sure theres plenty of other little fish in the big sea Very Happy
wanshi
what is the usual life span of your fish£Ώ
medesignz
my last one lasted 8 years... so this was a bit of an early goner! Confused
dude_xyx
Some fish live longer and some don't. Fish like Guppies, Neon Tetra, Cardinal tetra, Fighter fish only live maximum 3-4 years. Gold fish can live even 40 years if you treat them properly. I had Giant Gurami who have lived more than 12 years. Now I have Discus fish which is one of the hardest fish to keep. Very sensitive to water conditions and everything so they die if you even make a tiny mistake.
standready
sorry to hear about your fish
goutha
Sorry for that.

R.I.P. little fish.

But you should maybe choose an animal that leaves longer.
freeshann
When I was 16 I had a fish and I think it had epilepsie...they dont really test for things like that on goldfish...anyway. One day he died...I had only known him (Justin) a couple of months, but still I felt like I had lost my best friend!! I cried for half the day...took the day off school.
It was traumatising...I was a little weird back then I think...perhaps
Smile
dude_xyx
I have kept fish for a long time like 15 years since I was 10 year old boy. So I it wouldn't make me heart broken but sometimes it might hit you really hard. LIke once my whole Discus tank died and I hard a shock which I couldn't get over till I bought another set of Discus fish.
roadmouse
I bought some fish last weekend, and they didn't last for one day. :S
These things can happen, and fish are really sensitive to stress.
andysart380
yeah ive never had fish that lasted that long i always forget about them so i stopped getting fish..felt cruel letting them starve to death
Magicman
My family always used to replace fish secretly when they died so my little brother and sister wouldn't know. They always somehow noticed a difference somehow. I don't know how they could tell the difference between the fish when they were exactly the same types.
foumy6
I'm sorry about your fish . Sad It's always really really sad whenever a pet dies. I amazed my fish is still alive because im going on three years and he's still swiming strong. The sad thing is one of my dogs is most likely going to die soon because he is an inbread brown and white (tecnically called liver and white) dalmation. He has sesures, but I can't remember what that is called..... Anyway the normal lifespan for them is 10 - 12 years and he's twlelve now. Sad

Any way sorry about your fish again
hidenangel
yeah i understand you. my hamster gone to heaven last week. sorry for u.
Crinoid
Deep grief for my lost fish lasted for 1.5 years with a lot of conscious effort to overcome it. Large, good natured fish, good buddy. Still can't see its photographs without pain and feel of guilt.

Fish can live decades, as I have read, certainly not 1-3 years. Artificial and not the best conditions where they found themselves make their life short. After my loss I feel not so good about this hobby and wonder why information available about it doesn't work in most of cases.

Did you try fishless aquarium? Shrimp planted tank, for example.
Dean_The_Great
That's not good at all! But, perhaps now you could try another kind of fish, one that will be different, sure, but will probably be cheerful!
foumy6
that sucks I just lost my cat to breast cancer
nigam
sorry to hear about it.....i know how it felt on loosing a pet especially it was with you for a long time already....i used to had an arowana for 24 inches already and it had with me for 4 years....i lost my pet because my little son gave the arowana with the flowerhorn feeds....we saw that my fish was dying...we tried to save it but my pet gave up... thats my other side of story Smile
Tesa323
Wow it's really hard for me to get over something of my fish would have died I would have been really sad for couple hours. I've owned a couple fishes that have deid so i've gotten used to it.

On the other hand it lived a really long time for being a house fish 1 year is amazing and shows that you really take good care of fishes.

Well I take care of my fishes but they really don't last long. Maybe I don't have Any fish skills haha. Anyways the longest a fish I had has lived was probally 2-3 months but on the other hand it's only been one fish that has lived that long the others or owned got to 3 weeks at the most.
dude_xyx
Hey Tesa, didn't you try to find out why your fish died ? usually reasons are simple,

* wrong tank-mates
* putting too much food
* too small tanks
* too many fish in a tank
* Lack of oxygen
* Ammonia build up
* might have bought sick fish

It's not hard to keep them live long. Some fish have short life time like Guppies and Betta fish but other types like Gurami, Koi and gold fish live for decades, if you care about them properly.
Error667
Sorry about that guy, hope you'll have a new one soon
gandalfthegrey
awww R.I.P.
Sw4k1ll4r
R.I.P Sad
I bet you took good care for him. Smile
foumy6
My gold fish of 5 years just died it does really suck, because I have never ever had a fish live that long, so it was special lol
dude_xyx
foumy6 wrote:
My gold fish of 5 years just died it does really suck, because I have never ever had a fish live that long, so it was special lol

A healthy Gold fish can live over 40 years. What happened to your Gold fish ? There must be a reason like sick or smal tank size or something wrong with water.
mengshi200
Very poor!we lived a scares of perfect world.
medesignz
This thread lives on Smile
mochipie
:O My goldfish only lived for a few weeks (admittedly, they were from a fair, but still). I might have to look into the long-term fish care skills. Smile
medesignz
mochipie wrote:
:O My goldfish only lived for a few weeks (admittedly, they were from a fair, but still). I might have to look into the long-term fish care skills. Smile

Where do you live? I thought it was illegal now to have animals as prizes...
dude_xyx
mochipie wrote:

Goldfish are very hardy. 2 common reasons which makes their lives short are small tank sizes (Bowls are not for Goldfish) and over feeding. So give Them a big tank and some Plants to chew, they will be all happy.
benjietimogan
aw it hurts
medesignz
I may get a new goldfish soon... I may find it therapeutic
sabulba
This is common if you have a fish as they don't have a long life period like humans but it always hurts you.
medesignz
sabulba wrote:
This is common if you have a fish as they don't have a long life period like humans but it always hurts you.
It didnt hurt me... It would never bite me Wink