FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


DDR1/2 RAM, anyone can help?





Freezon
Hey guys I'm going to upgrade my now 512MB RAM on my dinosaur PC to 2GB RAM as I need more. My old PC is a Dell Optiplex GX260 model. Now I don't know what the MOBO is in it so I looked online for some specs to make sure it can support that much RAM.

I found out it can but I'm not sure about DDR1/2/3 as I'm not very tech savvy.

The Specs for my old PC can be viewed here:
http://www.austincc.edu/cloud/manuals/Dell/GX260/specs.htm

Can anyone help me on what type of RAM my MOBO can support? I'm not sure whether to purchase DDR1,2 or 3.

Thanks!
badai
you are using DDR 1, or just DDR.

you need to use DDR-200 or DDR-226.

DDR-200 is PC-1600
DDR-266 is PC-2000

usually they are called PC-1600 and PC-2000 instead of DDR-200 and DDR-266

the price for new DDR RAM usually quite expensive, so you should look for used RAM.
Freezon
Thanks a lot for the help, badai. I think I'll go with DDR-266. You're right, the older RAM is actually the same or slightly more expensive new than DDR2 or 3! Wow, well I might have some luck on eBay with some discounts.

Thanks again.
william
Just one quick thing. If your computer has DDR-200 right now, no point in adding DDR-226 because it will just underclock down to the speed of the slowest stick. Not going to make a huge difference, but it could save you a few bucks.
microkosm
Instead of Ebay you'll want to first look into RAM manufacturers websites first. For example, Crucial is a reputable manufacturer and seller of consumer RAM. When you buy from them you know that you're RAM isn't used, refurbished, etc and you also get a warranty. Also, using their website tool and the model of your computer you can find the exact RAM that your computer uses and buy that.

In your case here is the direct link to your computer model and the appropriate RAM: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=OptiPlex%20GX260%20Series

You could of course do the same with other RAM companies like PNY but I've had good experience with crucial and like their website layout.

By the way, it looks like 1 Gig will run you USD $43. Not a bad investment if you're actually going to use the older computer regularly.
Freezon
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

william wrote:
Just one quick thing. If your computer has DDR-200 right now, no point in adding DDR-226 because it will just underclock down to the speed of the slowest stick. Not going to make a huge difference, but it could save you a few bucks.


Yeah that is true william. Thanks for the tip. Well luckily I will be using x2 of the same type and also will replace the old sticks entirely.

microkosm wrote:
Instead of Ebay you'll want to first look into RAM manufacturers websites first. For example, Crucial is a reputable manufacturer and seller of consumer RAM. When you buy from them you know that you're RAM isn't used, refurbished, etc and you also get a warranty. Also, using their website tool and the model of your computer you can find the exact RAM that your computer uses and buy that.

In your case here is the direct link to your computer model and the appropriate RAM: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=OptiPlex%20GX260%20Series

You could of course do the same with other RAM companies like PNY but I've had good experience with crucial and like their website layout.

By the way, it looks like 1 Gig will run you USD $43. Not a bad investment if you're actually going to use the older computer regularly.


Very useful suggestion microkosm. That's great that it matches my system exactly. It sucks that the RAM for the old systems (DDR) are so expensive now, as compared with DDR2/3 but I'm willing to spend it to wake the beast up.

But here's the thing guys. Micro you listed the Crucial site where it lists I can use 128,256,512,1GB single sticks, and a total of up to 2GB which is listed in the manual in the website I listed.

However, in the manual is states:

http://www.austincc.edu/cloud/manuals/Dell/GX260/specs.htm wrote:

200- and 266-megahertz (MHz) double-data rate (DDR) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM)


Now that is PC-1600 and PC-2100 DDR RAM, correct? So in the Crucial website it states I can use even 2700 or 3200 DDR? Is that correct, can anyone clarify this for me?

I just don't want to buy RAM and it not being compatible.

Any help really appreciated.
badai
go for PC-2100.

even if your pc do support 3200, it just not worth the risk.
microkosm
Quote:
I just don't want to buy RAM and it not being compatible.

To be absolutely sure you may simply go with what the computer manual states is correct.

If you want to take a little risk and save money then check out the following table at wikipedia on DDR RAM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules

Also here's a snippet from the above page:

Quote:
There is no architectural difference between DDR SDRAM designed for different clock frequencies, for example, PC-1600, designed to run at 100 MHz, and PC-2100, designed to run at 133 MHz. The number simply designates the data rate at which the chip is guaranteed to perform, hence DDR SDRAM is guaranteed to run at lower and can possibly run at higher clock rates than those for which it was made.[3] These practices are known as "underclocking" and "overclocking" respectively.

Actually I followed the citation in that quote and it looks like it comes from crucial.com: http://www.crucial.com/support/memory_speeds.aspx

On that page crucial.com specifically states:
Quote:
PC3200 is backward-compatible for PC1600, PC2100, and PC2700

Great, now I feel like I represent that company (which I dont - just a happy customer) Smile
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.