FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mushi-shi on Hulu

microkosm
Anybody here heard of the anime/manga mushi-shi? All episodes of the English dubbed version are online for streaming at hulu. I stumbled on it while browsing the animation category there. The series is hard to describe since there is no over-arching narrative but heres a wikipedia overview:

Quote:
The story features ubiquitous creatures called Mushi that often display supernatural powers. Mushi are described as beings in touch with the essence of life, far more basic and pure than normal living things. Due to their ephemeral nature most humans are incapable of perceiving Mushi and are oblivious to their existence, but there are a few who possess the ability to see and interact with Mushi. The Mushi depicted in the anime look very similar to floaters.

One such person is Ginko (ギンコ?), the main character of the series. He employs himself as a Mushi master (蟲師, mushi-shi?), traveling from place to place to research Mushi and aid people suffering from problems caused by them. The series is an episodic anthology in which the only common elements among episodes are Ginko and the various types of Mushi. There is no over-arching plotline.

I found the anime to be very atomospheric because of the supernatural elements although they are probably better described as mythological. I enjoyed the episodic aspect of the series. The mystery of the protagonist was gradually introduced instead of simply being labelled as the hero or "good guy." In fact, this series is not a story about good or evil. Its creators seemed to want to explore the unusual in the mundane elements of human existence.
ato784
I heard about that series and am planning to watch it. It seemed to be very different than anything else that I have seen lately, you said that it was episodic, so was there a real story then? or just inidividual stories per episode?
microkosm
There is no grand narrative, but everything is linked together by the main character, his personal story and the concept of the mushi. There are a few recurring supporting characters like the doctor/mushi collector. The anime is based off of the manga which had a more conventional story. When they made the manga into the anime they rearranged the sequence of events slightly. Like I said earlier, I think the episodic nature is a plus to the presentation of the series.

The dubbed version is actually quite well done. No weird translations from japanese to english. This is the kind of anime you want to tell people about when you want them to take anime seriously.
ato784
Ok, thanks for the info Smile
driftingfe3s
I watched this a while back and thought it was pretty good. Each episode is it's own story, only really linked by the main character. But from the episodes you start to gather what type of person the main character is and can start to piece together his history. The anime is very well done and I thought the was it was presented was awesome. Also some of the stories are very beautiful and some of them make you really stop and think.