FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dynamic Signatures get page content?

Gushe
Hello all.

I'm am going to try create a rather intelligent system for creating dynamic signatures. Intelligent in the meaning that the sigtnatures will adjust per page they appear on, based on the topic displayed or the page they're placed on. Now, is there a way a dynamic signature can recieve the source of the page it is placed in? Like a file_get_contents() of the page it is currently being displayed on.

Thanks in Advance,
GuShe
Hogwarts
Definitely possible, but it'd be slow as all hell. I'd recommend not using file_get_contents for this, but much rather use a cURL object to get the page. However, there are two flaws to this
  • You need to get the page upon load
  • You assume that the view the script has of the page is identical to the one the user loading the page has. What if there's a "You don't have permission to view this page" or "You need to log in" page?

Really, I don't recommend bothering with this Sad
Gushe
Well. Off course I'll have to get the page onload, the signature can probably not predict where it'll be loaded. file_geT_contents() was only an example, I have used cURL before and I guess it'll do the job.
About the second flaw, as signatures are posted on bulletin boards, they are only displayed as the page has opened succesfully. The signature might have gathered wrong information, but it will not even be displayed though. So nobody gets to see the flaw, what isn't known, can not hurt. Wink
rvec
I don't think it would be such a good idea, it'll make loading your signature (and the page) slow, and will generate 2 hits on every page your signature is on (and even more if you have more posts on the page).