FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eye care

andredesignz
Most people would acknowledge that their eyesight is the most important sense. And, I would have to agree. Humans have natural features that help protect their eyes from damage. Our eyelashes are there to keep dirt particles out, our eyebrows keep sweat from running into our eyes, and blinking washes tears over our eyes to moisten them and keep them clean. Even though we have these natural features to protect our eyes, it is still not enough.

By remembering simple steps to protect your eyes, you can keep them from deteriorating. Only 40% of Americans go to the doctor for an annual eye exam. This is the first check to make sure your eyes are being taken care of well. Get to the optometrist and get your eyes checked atleast once per year.

Dont forget to bring your sunglasses especially when it is sunny outside. Sunglasses will sheild your eyes from ultraviolet light emitted by the sun. This will help prevent the formation of cataracts, macular degeneration, and pterygium. Reflected light from the sun off substances such as water and snow can cause the surface of the eye to burn.

If you are an active athlete it is important to protect your vision on a constant basis. Usually eye guards on baseball, hockey and football helmets are optional but you should insist on using them. In sports like basketball, goggles are a great way to prevent eye damage. Too many serious sports-related eye injuries are caused yearly.

When using the computer for long periods of time, it is necessary to take intermittent breaks. It is generally recommended to take a break every 20 minutes to reduce the strain on your eyes.

When working with dangerous chemicals or substances, always wear safety goggles. If any material does make contact with your eyes, flush them immediately with water.

Think about it poor/damaged eye sight or even blindness is something that can help be prevented by being careful and taking neccessary steps to help ensure that you dont impair your vision.
brokenadvice
I don't know how common this is, but my sister had to stop wearing contacts for a while after a vein grew in her eye. She would wear the contacts for extended periods of time, restricting the oxygen flow. The eye counteracted by growing a vein, which is pretty ugly. If your doctor says to wear them for 10 hours, listen to him!
imera
Interesting, the one with the computer applies to me, but I have a job where I do have to sit in front of the computer all day, and then when I come back home I enjoy sitting in front of it when I have nothing better to do.
Crinoid
Do not take it personally please, it just a sensitive topic for me.

It would be nice, in visiting a doctor for exam actually helped Laughing
After visiting an ophthalmologist years ago I left with impression: why did you come if you able to see the door? Crying or Very sad
Disclaimer: it could be just a bad luck, that is persistent.

It also would be nice to have a work that do not induce eye strain, or at least where possible to cover eyes by cupped hands for creating the darkness and allow eye muscles to relax. Every hour. By the way, this was the only way to battle eye redness and the same ugly red vein appearance (for people without contact lenses). Not a Visine for a red eyes or proper posture in front of computer.

Sun glasses: I love them. The problem is to find them: with good color, dark enough and not of the modernistic or decades old shapes, with basic, not punk appearance. Another problem is the predominant head size (and distance between eyes) in particular society. Improper size and common styles will look obscene on your face, that people stop and watch you with open mouth. I do not belong to a small head group, and every time I hunt for sun glasses for weeks, combing through the whole metropolis. Once in seven years I became lucky and found one tolerable sunglasses. After they broke years later, I ended up without using them at all.

I would like to live a good life, without smog, with clean water, with food without health-affecting preservatives, strain eyes only for a short time and have a doctor who will actually help. Only this do not likely happens in the real life. It would be nice if all we need was a personal responsibility.

No offense, I'm in the same boat. Laughing
bigt
brokenadvice wrote:
I don't know how common this is, but my sister had to stop wearing contacts for a while after a vein grew in her eye. She would wear the contacts for extended periods of time, restricting the oxygen flow. The eye counteracted by growing a vein, which is pretty ugly. If your doctor says to wear them for 10 hours, listen to him!

This thread is great. Yes, take care of your eyes because you only get those two. My wife had a problem several months back. She wears contacts. I think it was a build-up of bacteria on the surface of the eye. It seemed like her eye was sticking to her eyelid. The doctor said the eye heals very quickly and every time she wore contacts the eye was attaching to the contact. I guess the bacteria didn't help either, and after she would remove her contacts that disturbed surface of the eye would be rough and would hard on her eyelid. So, take care of your contacts and your eyes.
programitv
I never had issues with the eyes, till I started working. I used to go to the eye doctor every year and I always could read till the very last line of the photo with the letters.
Than, after one year of working, I got - 0.25 , - 0.5, the next year - 0.5 - 0.75, and the third year --0.75 - 1. I am kind of scared as it is evoluting, I wear glasses and contact lenses but I don`t tolerate the contact lenses for long periods of time. If I am on vacation or don`t use the computer for long periods of time, my view kind of gets stable, and I am able to see far without glasses. I heard there are treatments for eye rehabilitation, for people which work for long hours in front of a computer = it is a kind of gymnastic for the eyes, but in Europe they are pretty expensive, you need to do them for a long period of time and I am not sure if they are really effective. Anyone has tried?
jasikazenith
Eye-care,you should wash your eye after a 1 hour,wash a eyes with a cold water and also when you go out side then wear a glasses this way you protect your eyes with a dust and use a eye-drop this a things is a best for a eye and must care your eyes.
loyal
brokenadvice wrote:

How does that work? Does oxygen dissolve through the membrane of the eye into the eye itself and oxygenate the eye in that way :S ?

My eyes were strained by reading in very dim lighting. I had to wear glasses as a consequence because my eyesight weakened.

Peace.
app893
Take care of our eyes in our daily work and life,good habit make a good eyesight.
driftingfe3s
I need to make it a habit to take more frequent breaks when I'm on the computer or playing games or reading for long periods of time becuase I do tend to get eye strain quite a bit.

It also helps reduce eye strain if your on a computer for a long time to set your computer monitor refresh rate to something at or higher than 75 hertz becuase it's easier on the eyes.
deanhills
driftingfe3s wrote:
I need to make it a habit to take more frequent breaks when I'm on the computer or playing games or reading for long periods of time becuase I do tend to get eye strain quite a bit.

It also helps reduce eye strain if your on a computer for a long time to set your computer monitor refresh rate to something at or higher than 75 hertz because it's easier on the eyes.
Proper lighting would also be a good idea. Trying for natural light when reading as much as we can. Also setting up the computer with lighting that is as close to natural as possible. Resting of course is a given. As well as a good diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, regular night rest and exercise in fresh air.
macky
At the early age i have been using the eyeglasses ... because of too much abuse in the use of

computer... from the day i woke up until i go to bed then wash my face after using...