FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why My Computer Always Restart

zhaoyun
Hello All, i want to ask why my desktop PC is always restart ?

I think it's not the problem in the software, because i reinstall OS Windows XP so many times, but the problem ve exist.

i suspicious the problem in the Power Supply.

so I want to ask, is the Power Supply is so importmant for Computer ?

does i need to buy new Power Supply ?

Which Power Supply is good for recommended ?

Thanks
coreymanshack
zhaoyun wrote:
Hello All, i want to ask why my desktop PC is always restart ?

I think it's not the problem in the software, because i reinstall OS Windows XP so many times, but the problem ve exist.

i suspicious the problem in the Power Supply.

so I want to ask, is the Power Supply is so importmant for Computer ?

does i need to buy new Power Supply ?

Which Power Supply is good for recommended ?

Thanks

Could be the power supply, could be overheating, could be your harddisk. If you have any spare parts I would suggest taking out one piece at a time and seeing if it fixes your problem
albuferque
Overheating seems to be the reason.
saratdear
I had the same problem one or two years back, and it was due to a problem with the motherboard. It might be good to get that checked too.
Jean-Clod
I approve both, I had a motherboard problem on a PC once, nothing worked I had to call HP, and I also had an overheat problem on another pc, I tested with SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php , great program, give it a try), and I noticed that each time the temperature rose above 80 I think, the computer freezed and restarted.

Another thing, maybe the problem is the RAM, did you change it since you bought the pc?
foreverdestiny
I had that problem a while ago. It was a bad stick of RAM.
Pepperfan
I worked on a computer with this problem once or twice and it was a virus. So check your computer for viruses also.

Charles
sonam
I have the same problem when my computer have virus. Before you change your power supply try to check for virus with different virus scanner.

Sonam
sourojit
the pc restarts are due to virus.I had the same problem once.scanned my pc but had to reinstall OS as many of the system files were infected and cleaned.
GOOD LUCK Smile
Chinmoy
must be a virus.
vicar013
Guys, what r u on about?

The original poster says they re installed XP several times so unless its an aggressive/MBR virus its not due to software.

If you think the problem is the power supply, then first make sure. download free 'Speedfan' software and check:

Voltages - (very important!) in speedfan check the +12v, +5v and +3.3v voltage readings. A shortage of volts (1v or so)can indicate the power supply is struggling (particularly on +12v). I used to have a weak power supply that would restart my pc if I ran a game; graphics cards can be very demanding.... if you can unplug the power from some unused drives in your computer (i.e. cd rom drive, spare hard discs) you can generally work out whether you need a new power supply.

Temperatures - anything running over 60'C is probably bad.

If you're getting a power supply.... Akasa are good, in fact a branded supply is always better than a non branded cheap (noisy, short lived) one. Spend about 60 (dont know your currency, suspect its not pounds, sorry)
coreymanshack
vicar013 wrote:
Guys, what r u on about?

The original poster says they re installed XP several times so unless its an aggressive/MBR virus its not due to software.

If you think the problem is the power supply, then first make sure. download free 'Speedfan' software and check:

Voltages - (very important!) in speedfan check the +12v, +5v and +3.3v voltage readings. A shortage of volts (1v or so)can indicate the power supply is struggling (particularly on +12v). I used to have a weak power supply that would restart my pc if I ran a game; graphics cards can be very demanding.... if you can unplug the power from some unused drives in your computer (i.e. cd rom drive, spare hard discs) you can generally work out whether you need a new power supply.

Temperatures - anything running over 60'C is probably bad.

If you're getting a power supply.... Akasa are good, in fact a branded supply is always better than a non branded cheap (noisy, short lived) one. Spend about 60 (dont know your currency, suspect its not pounds, sorry)

Yea I don't think they even read the post.
shkhanal
I got this problem once - restarting computer for no reason now and then. I tried many things and finally found that it was the problem of power switch on cashing box. Check if you too are under same problem. I just removed the power button and set my reset button to work as power button, Now its OK and I'm fine.
jdelfire
-- not a virus...zzzz nor any software issues

-- major hardware components
-- too narrow it down. assuming you dont have a spare parts

-- take out all the parts from the chassis
-- the only you thing you need to plug is the
-- 1. motherboard
-- 2. memory
-- 3. processor
-- 4. power supply
-- 5. video card (if you dont have a built-in)

-- no need for the hard drive just to find out if its the hard drive that's causing this.
-- observe if its gonna restart
-- also you can power the system without a memory again observe if its gonna restart
Sunny
Ok afer reading above messages I am sure you must have figured out that this problem can be caused due to many many reasons. I am trying to make out step wise procedure to find the problem using best of my knowledge.

>>STEP1>>

When your computer restarts ..as its starting again..press del or f2 in your pcs to enter the bios setting and look for pc health status, use arrow keys to select the option and press enter, it looks like something like this

You are looking for 1) CPU TEMPERATURE --- IT SHOULD BE UNDER 55 OR SO (IF NOT OPEN THE PC CASE AND CHECK THAT CPU FAN IS RUNNING PROPERLY AND DUST IN THE HEAT SINK IS NOT PREVENTING THE AIR TO REACH CPU)
2) Voltages - should be approximately(AND NOT EXACT)
3.3 , 5.0 12.0 v (IF NOT CHANGE THE POWER SUPPLY,)

>STEP 2>

OPEN THE CASE UP
I f you have 2 RAMS installed, Take one out, restart pc and check if it restarts...if so then take another one out and place the first back and then check again. (IF IT WORKS WITH EITHER OF THE RAM MEANS THE OTHER RAM IS FAULTY)

If you have just 1 ram installed, take it out clean the contact with an eraser softly, clean the ram slot on motherbaord using a soft brusg and place tha ram back

If it restarts with both rams checkout the motherboard, you're looking for capacitors...they are normally bend inwards and not outwards. Like in below pic the capacitor on left side is swollen and faulty and right side one is how it should be.

You can also inspect cpu fan here if you have not already.

<STEP 3>

go to bios setup (step1) and you are looking for <fail safe mode>, select that option and press f10 to save the setting/

If you still cant solve the problem post back here.
blueray
Hi,

When you got your PC ?
If it is a new one (within 2-3 years) than, overheat may shutdown your PC directly to prevent
damage the main core. ( You can go to the BIOS menu by pressing del or F6 key when computer
bootup to checkout the cpu.)

Before you got a new power supply. Try unplug and re-plug the memorys.
borrow some rams from friends.

If none of this work. You may need to replace the power supply.

- Eric
k_s_baskar
Are u really 100% sure this is not due to virus?
bcoz while doing reinstall process you bell using several 3rd party cd's and even you own data backup cd/dvd's.
Follow the stepls below
1. switch on your system
2. press pause before loading windows (before you see the message like "Starting Windows...."
3. wait 30 min. (or waint unto your freqent restart time)

If the computer restarts again confirm this is problem related to h/w. Are if you did get restarted following the steps given below

1. Insert Orginal Windows CD
2. Remove all partitions in existing Hard disk (CAUTION: You will loss all data in your HDD)
3. Create a fresh new partion
4. Install windows in new partion
5. don't insert other softwares including drivers related (printer/scanner/mother board etc.,)
5. restart your computer and wait for 30 min.

If your computer still restarts confirm this is a hardware problem

Try the following steps to solve h/w probem
1. Open computer casing
2. Power on you computer system
3. Watch the cooling fan fixed above processor is working

If Not working Try replace the fan .

Still having Problem? Better call your service engineer....
Smile
shkhanal
frequent restart of your system might be due to one or more of many possible reasons

1. OS corruption
2. Drivers compatibility or corruption
3. RAM Chips
4. Hard Disk
5. Mother Board
6. Power Supply
7. Viruses

and many more. Sometimes even a small think like power switch button can give you problem like this. I faced such problem once. I checked everything and failed. I was so fed up. My computer restarted unexpected for no reason. Finally I figured out if power switch button is the cause. I changed the wires of power switch to reset switch and left the reset wires disconnected. Then it was solved. Check if it is the power switch only that's giving you trouble!
technician
i have testing that before...my pc restart at when my pc turn on...not only the virus can restart ur pc...maybe u have a problem on your power supply or memory card...in my computer damage...when i put my memory card to other pc...same problem i have get...so the only reason why my PC rebooting is my memory...so try what i have doing on my computer...try ur memory to the other PC maybe ur memory same to my memory have a problem...