FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a religion that worships the Dragon?

Parkour_Jarrod
I'm just wondering is there a religion that worships the dragon?

I myself worship dragons and all that jazz, I'm curious if there is an actual religion (like with a wiki and heaps of followers not a cult) that worships the dragon.

If there isn't how would i create a religion based around dragonology?
deanhills
I have not come across it as a "god", but obviously dragons have featured in a number of mythologies. I've found a link here for some of them:
http://pebblez.com/information/myth-religion-dragon-names.html
Vrythramax
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

I myself worship dragons and all that jazz, I'm curious if there is an actual religion (like with a wiki and heaps of followers not a cult) that worships the dragon.

Which Dragon? There have (allegedly) been many over time (my nickname was one). As for making/founding your own religion that can be simple or complex. Simple in the sense that all you really need is a bunch of followers that think the same as you, and provide them with some kind of structure...and complex if you wanted it registered (in the US) as a 501(c)3 Non-Profit or Charitable Organization so that you can claim Tax-Exempt status.

BTW...if your going to start a religion worshiping dragons, you may want to refrain from using "all that jazz" as a description. Wink
Parkour_Jarrod
Vrythramax wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

Which Dragon? There have (allegedly) been many over time (my nickname was one). As for making/founding your own religion that can be simple or complex. Simple in the sense that all you really need is a bunch of followers that think the same as you, and provide them with some kind of structure...and complex if you wanted it registered (in the US) as a 501(c)3 Non-Profit or Charitable Organization so that you can claim Tax-Exempt status.

BTW...if your going to start a religion worshiping dragons, you may want to refrain from using "all that jazz" as a description. Wink

Ahahah, yer, i was rushed when i wrote that, had to go out.

Your going to have to brush me up on that US registrar because well, i live in Australia.

If im going to make my own religion, im going to probably make it similar to an ancient egyption/greek religion where there is multiple gods that are for each thing (sun, nature, water, war, love, ect ect) but base it off dragons in mythology.
ocalhoun
Satanism might come close at times... Twisted Evil

Other than that, I think you'll have to start your own, or join somebody else's 7-follower religion who beat you to it.
Parkour_Jarrod
ocalhoun wrote:
Satanism might come close at times... Twisted Evil

Other than that, I think you'll have to start your own, or join somebody else's 7-follower religion who beat you to it.

I'm hoping that if i create it it would be different to Satanism. I wanted it to be like, following all the religions of today (Muslim, Christian, Jewish even Satanism) It's just that each dragon is a deity of each aspect of religion.

For example, a dragon that has Satanism in it, could be a dragon of evil and betray or something similar. I'm not sure, I've only just thought im going to have to make it now so im still working on it.

Who would join this religion? (You can still follow your own its just a way to focus on the things you respect the most)
Hogwarts
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Who would join this religion? (You can still follow your own its just a way to focus on the things you respect the most)

It really does sound more like role-playing than a religion O_o
Parkour_Jarrod
Hogwarts wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

It really does sound more like role-playing than a religion O_o

How so?
Dacorian
I know this is an old topic, but let me bring some life into this.

For 6 years i've been trying to find a group for this matter. People who worship dragons like they are a higher power. This is a difficult situation for someone who individually choose this belief because dragons remain a myth, for stories, games or movies. For many, dragons are just a toy and an escape from everyday life but not for dragon worshipers like myself. For me, the dragon has so much more. Call it a spirit guide, unbound to whatever. If I could pray for him I would do that, but alas. I don't know people like myself in this case but it would be so great if I could do this with others who understand. This is a religion and I am sure there are so many people with this same idea, but afraid to say this to anyone. The only religions who are accepted in social life are based on the superiority of humanity like christians or muslims. This belief has no name, it will only be seen as a lavish fantasy for people who love to roll play. But bowing to a beautiful picture of a dragon, no dragons figurines to collect and talk to the one statue. That is what Christians do but in this case not against a man or something that likes people in his surroundings. Approach as inferior, that's what counts.
Geoffdragonhearted
This whole topic excites me. I to thought it would be great to start a dragon religion. I think if it were to be started it would probably be like another form of wicca. Seeing as dragons are considered as a "myth" and the thought of them being real dosen't really jive with the majority of folks. Call me wired or whatever but I feel they did and do exist. That's just me.
ocalhoun
Geoffdragonhearted wrote:
Call me wired or whatever but I feel they did and do exist. That's just me.

Well, loosely defined, they did exist... We call them dinosaurs today.

My personal suspicion is that myths of dragons originated from early people discovering dinosaur bones and then trying to imagine what sort of creature they came from.
(Which would explain why dragon (or dragon like) creatures feature in the myths of multiple cultures as diverse as European, Chinese, and Aztec.)
Bikerman
That is a good hypothesis methinks. It would account for the global nature of the myth, which other hypotheses (such as the 'spitting cobra' genesis) have problems with.
airh3ad
What i read in other books Historically, Luciferians point to the fact that the great ancient civilizations worshipped serpents and dragons for thousand of years, along with the sun, before Moses and the prophets wrote the Old Testament and one more thing The tradition of the Dragon and the Sun is echoed in every part of the world.
Bikerman
I doubt it. I don't think the innuit have any such tradition. I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen in many African traditions. I suspect it occurs in only two traditions - the Western - coming directly from the Greek, and the Chinese - which spread around the far East.
Ankhanu
Bikerman wrote:
I doubt it. I don't think the innuit have any such tradition. I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen in many African traditions. I suspect it occurs in only two traditions - the Western - coming directly from the Greek, and the Chinese - which spread around the far East.

There's some contradiction within your point that there are only two traditions and your example of a tradition without... If you accept that there are only the Western and Oriental dragon traditions, it somewhat ignores, as ocalhoun mentioned, the Central and South American traditions that incorporate them. You could point towards the migration of peoples from the Orient into the Americas, but, that migration includes the Inuit.

Of course, it's possible that the northern tribes lost the tradition of dragon belief/myth, but there are many cultures between that don't possess the myth... what brought the older American traditions (in the north) to lose these myths if they were inherited from the source population? Why did it not persist in, for example, the Black Foot tribes in the Alberta Badlands, a treasure trove of sauran fossil deposits?
Bikerman
Fair point well made.
In fact, having been prompted to do some minor research, it seems I was doubly wrong, which ironically supports my thesis. The inuit DO have a dragon tradition...
Ankhanu
Oh? Interesting. I'd be interested to see the information on that. Possible continuity here is pretty neat.
Bikerman
Check Kikituk - seems to be an inuit sea-serpent/reptile that hunted man.
loremar
Just also found an interesting hypothesis. An Instinct for Dragons
It says that dragon myths came from instinctive fear of our ancestors from their predators as oppose to discoveries of dinosaur fossils.
Bikerman
Here's a review which is not entirely supportive:
http://bikerman.co.uk/dragon.htm
ocalhoun
loremar wrote:
Just also found an interesting hypothesis. An Instinct for Dragons
It says that dragon myths came from instinctive fear of our ancestors from their predators as oppose to discoveries of dinosaur fossils.

That does nicely explain why people have such an instinctual aversion to snakes. (A nice long holdover from the days of monkeys worried about tree-climbing snakes.)
(Though it doesn't explain why people would be afraid of spiders and bugs... those are great monkey food...)

I don't think that a people isolated from any previous tradition or 'evidence' of them would invent the notion on their own though... Not just from instinct.
Instincts might play a part in perpetuating the myth and making it more popular, but I don't think it could be a real explanation of where the myth started in the first place.
GuidanceReader
I created a Dragonic Witchcraft Coven once... didn't work out (too young and naive). I did love honouring the dragons during it's short lived time and still have the book of shadows I created for it.
inoshi
I note an account several years ago now when in the midst of a night's sleep a very deep and synthetic non-human voice came to me announcing that "I am the Dragon of Old". It was not frightening to me, but kind of wondrous, satisfying and and awe inspiring all at once!

It was heard as if audible but not through my ears. Clairaudient, and not imaginary. I have often wanted to reconnect and explore this.

Angel

Dragon Inoshi
deanhills
inoshi wrote:
It was heard as if audible but not through my ears. Clairaudient, and not imaginary. I have often wanted to reconnect and explore this.

Angel

Dragon Inoshi
Sounds as though you're destined for Legend of the Green Dragon. If not, maybe someone could use that name for a dragon.
Very Happy
inoshi
Yeah you never know, I might get hooked!
inoshi
Well, here we are in the year of the dragon, happy luck dragon everybody!

If original poster is still around, there are some books out there on serpent religion and whatnot. One of them was written under an alias I think, by the founder of Rosicrucianism, and he interpreted a lot of historical imagery of the serpent as phallic in nature.
firstborn
Please join my quest to make a dragon religion Smile
Suggestions/comments would be welcome
http://darastrixkitril.blogspot.co.nz/
ocalhoun
firstborn wrote:

Quote:
Our "mother" figure is Tiamet, who you should recognize if you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons.

...And if you've ever studied ancient literature, you'd know that having a mother goddess named Tiamat isn't a new idea at all. ^.^
Quote:

Babylonian Mythology: God and Goddesses: Tiamat ... Tiamat was the great mother goddess and overall goddess of the salt waters.

But don't feel bad... The Babylonians probably borrowed that idea from some even older culture... and so on.
Zenmetsu
This is something that I would love to join, whether it be a failed attempt or not (I'm hoping it will succeed, of course) because I have found myself with a love of dragons from a young age, and in the past few years I've taken to worship. I was unaware that anyone else felt as I did, and was just recently starting to see if there was any formal religion. I am overjoyed that I found this discussion!
inoshi
I'm unsure how this relates to the thread, really not clear to me.

ocalhoun wrote:
firstborn wrote:

Quote:
Our "mother" figure is Tiamet, who you should recognize if you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons.

...And if you've ever studied ancient literature, you'd know that having a mother goddess named Tiamat isn't a new idea at all. ^.^
Quote:

Babylonian Mythology: God and Goddesses: Tiamat ... Tiamat was the great mother goddess and overall goddess of the salt waters.

But don't feel bad... The Babylonians probably borrowed that idea from some even older culture... and so on.
inoshi
firstborn wrote:

I would not want o create a new religions as enable people to have more dragon and dragon myth / lore awareness.

Inoshi
inoshi
Zenmetsu wrote:
This is something that I would love to join, whether it be a failed attempt or not (I'm hoping it will succeed, of course) because I have found myself with a love of dragons from a young age, and in the past few years I've taken to worship. I was unaware that anyone else felt as I did, and was just recently starting to see if there was any formal religion. I am overjoyed that I found this discussion!

How exactly do you worship?
Zenmetsu
There's no real ceremony to it, but personally, I see it as a 'traditional' polytheistic religion, assigning a different god/goddess for different things, (I.e. the sun, water, the sky, etc.) And silently send prayers and thanks to a currently nameless diety who is a dragon.
firstborn
ocalhoun wrote:
firstborn wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Im aware, infact i researched her before i decided she'd be a good mother goddess Smile
trust me, i dont claim to have original ideas! Smile
Draco_Amator
I believe in dragons and do recognize that they exist. Many ancient cultures beleived in dragons, ranging from th Mayans to the Japanese. All of the cultures had the same idea, reptiles with more than four limbs being able to fly. If they were respected or feared was their ideology, but for non-believers, answer me this: After Pangaea, none of the human races ever came close to each other, and those that did went to war, they didn't have philosophers get together. Call it what you wish. Fear of reptiles, or instinct, dragons exist.

Draco_Amator
Dragon_Lover[/i]
Draco_Amator
It's The Dragon Lover. If you believe in dragons, and take dragons seriously, then visit my blog:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Draco_Amator/blog/.
Swindel
Draco_Amator wrote:
It's The Dragon Lover. If you believe in dragons, and take dragons seriously, then visit my blog:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Draco_Amator/blog/.

I am a dragon, and seeker of light
LxGoodies
Yes, dragons were probably worshipped in the early medieval times. After the Roman age, the notion of dragons returned to Anglo-Saxon and early Frankish culture. They frequently appear in art, like

4th-6th century Germanic

Silver early penny, Series Q1g, c. 725-40. CM.1885-2007,

Anglo Saxon 'Regardant Beast' Disc Brooch

In the course of the Merovingian and Karolingian age (Frankish, Christian) conquer of Europe in the 7th-9th century, the dragon or 'Regardant Beast' changed to Agnus Dei, the lamb of God. Other dragons were demonized (e.g. by pictures showing St George trampling a dragon). I think this attempt to incorporate and change the dragon in Christian tradition is a clear indication that early christianity regarded the dragon as competitive worship. It was a religion.

Wiki - Agnus Dei[/quote]
RaSkin14
Please make a religion on dragons! I have always wonted to join one I would so join your religion so please do it I would love to be a part of that religion and when you make the religion you should design a sign like the Christians have there cross so I could wear it so please make a religion on dragons but don't take it complicated please I have a bad memory write on this site when you are going to make it and then when you have made it and then tell me how I could join please do it soon!!!!!!! Very Happy
RaSkin14
Sorry can't give you a PIC just search up Merlin's talisman and it is the one that has been take from a book it has a clear diamond and dragons around it because it is from a book it has writing a roung the side of the picture hope you use it say if you like it or not
LxGoodies
hi @RaSkin,

Can't find Merlin's... there are too many pictures.. what about this one Smile

more.. https://www.pinterest.com/nikki_hartline/dragons/
deanhills
That looks so real and so alive. How did you get it to look that way Lx?
RaSkin14
No but that is cool it is of a talisman you know a amulat like a charm or pendent
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
That looks so real and so alive. How did you get it to look that way Lx?

I did not make it. Guess: combine cigarette smoke, a brontosaurus and bat wings in Photoshop Laughing

It is a character from Runescape. It's a pet. Costs a lot of gold pieces (GP)

http://www.runescape.com

Someone put it on pinterest, I "retweeted" that little lovely dragon a long time ago.

@RaSkin14 you meant this one ? Merlin's talisman - with a clear diamond - according to a German page on Wikia, very nice indeed

http://de.drachen.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonology:_Zaubersprόche Smile
RaSkin14
Yes that is it you can use that as your dragon religious symbols Very Happy
zerodraconis
Dragonoph but its from skyrim I believe...but my religious belief is that dragons created us all and had help by other gods but but......I grew up around Zeus and oden type stuff anyone have a dragon religion I can follow
dude_xyx
Doesn't Chinese mythology has lots of stuff about Dragons and Dragon god etc ? Maybe in China there are something related to this.
LxGoodies
Chinese call their dragons long or loong.

What about this funny one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon
Blighter99
Dragonoph is not based off of skyrim but its actually the other way around
Tiamatzilla
The path of the Dragon leads us to Dragonoph. I have been a Dragon disciple from birth. I denied my truth for fear of hell from the barbaric threats against my soul out of fear, not love, for 20 years. I turned to the Dragon out of love, for my love for Dragons is eternal, all powerful and can not be denied. I ask you why worship a God out of fear when instead you could be worshiping out of love. Now the Dragons are generous indeed to not Godzilla this planet to flame if they needed fear to rule. They are waiting for us to fix and figure how to live to help live. As a Dragon artist I grew close to Dragons, look into the eyes of a Reptle and you will be looking into the eyes of God. All Dragons are Gods, they are the only true pure Gods. Mother Tiamat the body of eternity, Ouroborus, we are all part, if not all Dragon. Unfortunatly as we are not in Dragon form we must look to Quetzalcoatl the Dragon spirit that lives within us all. I hope to be fortunate enough to become ascended to the shadow of the lowest serpent and beg for the devine oppertunity, but we all inevitabilly fail our Dragon masters and our fate is held in thier omnipotent claws. To the Dragon everything matters.

Dragonoph literally means the worship of Dragons. How you worship the Dragon depends on what denomination of Dragonoph you are. The only trap is for humans to enter the lair of Glaurung (Dragon God in charge of the Dragon Lords that are responcibal for mankind) in the afterlife, we must be able to be trusted. I believe it is a misconseption that the boundaries of heaven should end with the lair of Glaurung seeing that the Dragons rules over all. To determine if you are trustworthy in the eyes of the Dragons I have read rumor that you will have to fight and defeat the Dragonlord Aerene. This is my problem with the mainstream Dragonoph philosophy. To defy the Dragon is the deadliest sin, only a Dragon can question another Dragon. I'm not saying let your pet Lizard do something that would get him hurt, but outright defiance... Its a stupid test. If your dumb enough to stand against Lord Aerene then even if your a great dude your gonna learn to kneel. If your spirit is Dragon you will emerge as a Dragon, but I'm sure you will still be tested. Lord Granamyr may be fiction but he is full Coatl. He shows us how to properly dispute Dragon debates, with peaceful tests of fire. He also shows us what can happen to a "ShadowWing" or dark Dragon. Wich leads me to my next point... Lord Vlaera and the fire lands.

Hell was not created by Dragons. It is our own failings to them and ourselves that warp our perceptions to the point where we are seeing things in a negative light. A dark light, from a dark star which we create or are affected by someone else's Dark Star. Whatever happens I have learned one thing... "BE COOL DRAGONS RULE" We don't know anything compared to the devine intellect of Dragonic knolage. They literally know everything and they are in full control, not us. Our path will never give us more Dragonfire than we can handle and they are always with us with more fire and guidance. Trust the Dragon for it is all that truly matters. Be the Dragon and rule with honor. The fire lands should not be feared but embraced. Vlaera's lair is the firelands and I'm assuming that is where legends of hell and Satan are born. In truth we should be honored to serve any Dragon, Vlaera prides himself with destruction fire and chaos. All forces that have there place and what most Dragonic reputations are most famous for. Brother of Glaurung who leads many Dragons of creation, they work together to guide mankind. We could be stuck serving time or enjoy paradise with Lord Vlaera depending on how you see it. Vlaera helps us become trustworthy by helping us with our afflictions in the fire lands wich initials a vast ammount of work.

True believers of Dragonoph are said to get a Dragon tattoo on their left pinky finger. A guardian Dragon that Lord Aerene looks for in the final judgement. I think it repusents our guardian Dragon that will help us in the afterlife and in this one. I have mentioned Dragon Gods you may pray to but wee all need to work together to unlock the secrets of Dragonoph.
dragonworshipper
I'm really glad I found this thread, because I too am a dragon worshipper and I'm looking for others!

I've created this little blog setting out what my beliefs are and why:

https://dragonworship.wordpress.com/

But I'm looking for people to help me flesh it out and adapt it, because otherwise it would just be meaningful to me, so it wouldn't be much of a religion. Tell me an idea in the comments and I'll credit you!
loveandormoney
Dont u know
in Asia there are many cultures
who admire dragons.
Did U visit those towns?
LxGoodies
Thx to my dear facebook friend วนิท ร์แก ..a fire dragon Surprised