FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Catcher in the Rye

guitarstud101
Has anyone here read "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger? We have to read it for U.S. Lit, and I personally think it's one of the most monotonous, purposeless books I've ever read. The symbols and motifs in the book are the only parts of it that make it interesting to read, but attempting to dig the hidden meanings out of these symbols feels like physically digging a hole in the backyard. I'm curious to see if anyone else has an opinion on this book.
credo
I read this for the first time when I was a teenager and perhaps because it wasn't for school and I didn't have to sit around and dissect and analyse it I rate it as one of my favourite books. Yeah Holden can be a bit monotonous – in fact just like all of us he is seriously flawed. He is one of the hypocrites he claims to hate. He says he hates everyone, that they’re all phoneys but it’s really himself that he hates only some modicum of self-preservation won’t allow him to see it. Or maybe he knows it only to well.

Holden is one of the characters I have most identified with in all the hundreds of books I have read. I just read it as a story about a lonely and isolated boy who is in a lot of pain.

Cheers
Credo
Ioana
Me too like credo I've read it in the teenage years.
For books I should read for school it has always been difficult to like them because of the situation to be suddenly a critic who has to try to write intelligent things about it.
When I read this one it was my own curiosity. It got one of the books I read in high speed because I couldn't stop and keep away from it.
My condoleances you can't enjoy the text the way I did.
johnyfitz
that book was probably one of the more fun things i read in high school. i didn't really pay attention to all of it, but it had some wierd stuff happening in it and my teacher ended up getting into a little bit of trouble for letting us curse and swear all the time to prove that people can be desensitized to language if they hear it enough.
dragonflame
I found it pretty depressing. I have yet to know why it's related to conspiracy theorists...
insanitybook
I adore Catcher in the Rye! It's one of my all-time favorite books, and I think every high school student should read it, because it deals with a lot of feelings that all high school kids go through. I love the fact that the protagonist in the book isn't someone I really like that much. If I knew him in real life, I would probably punch him in the face. But I can still empathize with him, and that brings across the point that, even if your personality clashes with someone else's, you can still have things in common.
insanitybook
I adore Catcher in the Rye! It's one of my all-time favorite books, and I think every high school student should read it, because it deals with a lot of feelings that all high school kids go through. I love the fact that the protagonist in the book isn't someone I really like that much. If I knew him in real life, I would probably punch him in the face. But I can still empathize with him, and that brings across the point that, even if your personality clashes with someone else's, you can still have things in common.
hades9366
An American friend got me onto Salinger a few years ago and he is depressing but this was a really good book. As I said it was a few years ago that I read it but for me the two main symbols that really stayed with me were Holden's confusion of the song which gives the book it's title and
his dream, something about being the one to stop people from falling over a cliff. Holden is an anti-hero trying to show us how to live by giving us an example of how not to live.