FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Garmin production cost

Tony The Tiger
My Garmin nuvi is still under original manufacturer's warranty for another 5 months. I have noticed that Garmin sends replacement items without asking for the return of the original. I am trying to figure out if the cost of production is so low or the cost of repair is so high that they consider the cost of return shipping prohibitive. Now, I have an extra garmin for my walking around backpack to compliment the one I keep in the car.
badai
"no cost" for replacement because the item was already manufactured. it will cost more to check what's the problem with faulty item. so, go for the cheapest option.

commonsense.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
it will cost more to check what's the problem with faulty item. so, go for the cheapest option.

commonsense.

I think the problem is that Garmin only has one retail location in the US and has to handle all these issues by mail to national (possibly international) headquarters. It is just an unusual business practice in my eyes.
Tony The Tiger
It turns out that I just missed a line on my American Express card statement. They billed me about 60 bucks for the replacement Nuvi, which they will credit me upon the return of my original.