FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game servers

Thomme
Hi,

I'm going to start my own clan and I want to buy some servers. But I don't really know what the best deal is. I want

- 1 Half-Life 2: Deathmatch server (16 slots)
- 1 Counter-strike: Source (16 slots)
- (optional) A hl2mp server with 12 slots

What do I need for a dedicated server? Or is it better to rent some servers from company's like GameServers?

Help needed!

Tom
Agent ME
To host a server for more than a few players, you need to have a really good internet connection, with a good upload speed.

I'd say the best bet to find a good hosting service is to simply join a few different games that have a lot of people with low pings, and see who they're hosted by. (In Quake 3 and UT2004, often they'd have an ad for the website in the message of the day displayed on joining.)
enygmasoft
I hosting any server there are always bandwidth issues to be considered , including there most limiting factor on any online game and that is the ISP line coming into both systems, and while uploading becomes far more important in server networks. The bottleneck for any networked interface ends up being the server, because when the server get overloaded that is when we experience LAG. The benefits of a server networks is they are much they use much lower CPU usage than an peer to peer intreface, which why they are more popular.The problem is the server is s that is still a computer, whixh eventually reaches its max point in what it calculates. Newer system such
enygmasoft
I hosting any server there are always bandwidth issues to be considered , including there most limiting factor on any online game and that is the ISP line coming into both systems, and while uploading becomes far more important in server networks. The bottleneck for any networked interface ends up being the server, because when the server get overloaded that is when we experience LAG. The benefits of a server networks is they are much they use much lower CPU usage than an peer to peer intreface, which why they are more popular.The problem is the server is s that is still a computer, whixh eventually reaches its max point in what it calculates. Newer system such as the new 256 player fully online FPS called MAG, no longer use server structure. Instead they are using a peer to peer interface which uses more cpu bandwidth. However these newer CPU such as the PS3 have amazingly higher cpu bandwidth. so these newer machines can support full blown peer to peer networks.