FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox is not the only way fo Linux

Phinx
While i've seen numerous topics on 'which browser is better', most about the ones for windows platform, i can't help it but notice how little some know about the ones for linux. Usually the knowledge is limited to the same old Firefix as the god of the 'penguin land'. Here are a few alternatives, which you might enjoy and are worth a try.

Swiftfox - http://getswiftfox.com/ -
Quote:
Swiftfox is an optimized build of Mozilla Firefox. Swiftfox has builds for both AMD and Intel processors and is based on the most cutting edge Firefox source code available.
In my opinion it is faster than the original and also it helped to solve a number of problems i was constantly having in Firefox.

IceCat - http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/ - IceCat is generally the Firefox original with a couple of improvements
Quote:
1. Some sites refer to zero-size images on other hosts to keep track of cookies. When IceCat detects this mechanism it blocks cookies from the site hosting the zero-length image file. (It is possible to re-enable such a site by removing it from the blocked hosts list.)
2. Other sites rewrite the host name in links redirecting the user to another site, mainly to "spy" on clicks. When this behavior is detected, IceCat shows a message alerting the user.
It is also has all the non-free bits removed, meaning it's main purpose is more like an ethical one: 'No to non-free software'.

That's it for now, as these are the ones mostly floating around and i'm also short on time Smile
Donutey
Lynx is excellent, though it's somewhat of a niche product anymore (it's a text-only browser, though it's still very usable). It would be useful in situations where you are bandwidth limited. It also has some security advantages because of it's text-only nature.
Arnie
Who needs Firefox derivatives when there's Opera for Linux?
Stubru Freak
Those are all based on Firefox. There's also Chromium.
weableandbob
I don't see why you'd really need to switch from Firefox. It's a great browser that's fast and reliable.
harismushtaq
For both windows and linux (and Sumbian and pocket PC), my vote goes for Opera, a very good browser. I think they would also have an iPhone version by now.
Hogwarts
harismushtaq wrote:
For both windows and linux (and Sumbian and pocket PC), my vote goes for Opera, a very good browser. I think they would also have an iPhone version by now.

If only Apple weren't so.. monopolistic
Arnie
Stubru Freak wrote:
Those are all based on Firefox. There's also Chromium.
Opera isn't based on Firefox.
r4inm4ker
well, my firefox on ubuntu crashes a lot due to flash loading problem, so maybe alternative solution is indeed needed until they fix it. Opera seems to be a good choice...
william
Opera used to crash on me in Linux because of flash, but I fixed that, so I find it to be a good choice. Still, I find myself using Firefox more often, probably because it's set up just the way I like it. I do have some other Firefox derivatives to use if I need to quickly access something.
Arnie
A recent version of the Flash plugin for Linux often crashed with a segfault. I think they fixed the bug now, but indeed it was very annoying.
albuferque
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
misterXY
Hogwarts wrote:
harismushtaq wrote:

If only Apple weren't so.. monopolistic

lol. So very true