FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New ranks: suggestions

Bondings
Considering there is a huge demand to replace the current top ranks of Frihost Freak and Addicted Frihoster, I guess it's time for a change. Ghost Rider103 is willing to create the actual images.

However, which ranks (name) would you like them to be? Something like 2-3 ranks to replace them. Please make some suggestions and mention which ones you would like and hate. (especially for users with a lot of posts)
Hogwarts
"Frihost Sage" is one I've looked at nicely, "Frihost Guru" not so much. "Frihost Smartarse" would be suitable, although I could foresee it having similar problems to freak and addicted. "Frihost Alien" would be good, too, but I think that's only appropriate for one person (wait, person? Shocked) on this board.

Perhaps you should feature this thread? It seems to be a popular enough idea to change those two (or more) icons.

I can also help you with tweaking the icons, if you want.
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
"Frihost Sage" is one I've looked at nicely, "Frihost Guru" not so much. "Frihost Smartarse" would be suitable, although I could foresee it having similar problems to freak and addicted. "Frihost Alien" would be good, too, but I think that's only appropriate for one person (wait, person? Shocked) on this board.

Perhaps you should feature this thread? It seems to be a popular enough idea to change those two (or more) icons.

I can also help you with tweaking the icons, if you want.
Sounds like a good idea. Was wondering about "Frihost Alien" Shocked Laughing

Perhaps while we are working with this, maybe Bondings can guide us as to the intervals in ranks, as I see some of the Frihosters heading towards 10,000. Would it be an idea to have one rank for everyone over 5000 such as Infinity Frihoster? Smile
Asap170
Maybe like FrihostMaster... Maybe around like 2000 posts...
ocalhoun
Hogwarts wrote:
"Frihost Alien" would be good, too, but I think that's only appropriate for one person (wait, person? Shocked) on this board.

Aliens are people too...

Some thoughts:

Frihost Savant
Frihost Chief
Ace Frihoster
Prime Frihoster
Extravagant Frihoster
Copious Frihoster

Thesauruses are awesome for this kind of thing ^.^
zbale
(Copy-paste of what I wrote in the other discussion on ranks)

I also think that the top rank names (of course I am nowhere near them) can be a bit offensive to those who bear them, as "addicted" and "freak" imply (a) something deranged and (b) that these Frihosters post to satisfy their own urge (as opposed to posting as a positive contribution to the community). Here are my opinions as far as the options for change are concerned:

1) I do not believe that the whole rank scale should be modified (I think the current names are good in general but for the two highest ones; I find names of colors and materials, as have been proposed for a new scale, a bit childish).

2) I think names suggesting seniority and prestige would be a good choice as replacements of "addicted" and "freak". I think that Veteran Frihoster, which has been proposed already, is great. Other possible adjectives could be taken from a list including: Master / Expert / Seasoned / Established / Accomplished / Wise / Vintage / Heavyweight / Hardened Frihoster or from nouns (not followed by "Frihoster", and possibly preceded by "Frihost") such as Elder / Master / Sage / Ancient / etc.

3) If a new, higher category is created, perhaps it could have one very recognizable and prestigious logo while the name itself could be freely chosen by the happy Frihoster (possibly within a limited list).
zbale
I think my choice would be either:

Senior Frihoster
Expert Frihoster
Veteran Frihoster
[Frihoster's choice]

or:

Senior Frihoster
Expert Frihoster
Frihost Master
[Frihoster's choice]

A funny one (with a nod to the Academia) would be "Frihoster Emeritus".
Ghost Rider103
I personally dislike "Addicted FriHoster" and "FriHost Freak".

I think we need to change those two, and then maybe add another one or two ranks for 5k+ posts.

We all need to agree on what we are going to do here, otherwise we are all just going to be throwing random names out.

So we need to come up with a plan on what we are going to change, and if we are going add anymore ranks or not.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I think we need to change those two, and then maybe add another one or two ranks for 5k+ posts.

We all need to agree on what we are going to do here, otherwise we are all just going to be throwing random names out.

So we need to come up with a plan on what we are going to change, and if we are going add anymore ranks or not.
Perhaps Bondings can set the grading intervals for us and also suggest which names need to be changed, and which categories need names?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Perhaps Bondings can set the grading intervals for us and also suggest which names need to be changed, and which categories need names?

Which categories need names?
Bondings wrote:
to replace the current top ranks of Frihost Freak and Addicted Frihoster,

Grading intervals? I don't particularly care, but I would assume 1000, 2000, and 5000. Maybe another at 10,000 just so the issue doesn't come up again for a very long time.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

Grading intervals? I don't particularly care, but I would assume 1000, 2000, and 5000. Maybe another at 10,000 just so the issue doesn't come up again for a very long time.
Thanks Ocalhoun. Perhaps the intervals could be longer as well. Think I will give it a fresh look at study of all of the previous postings in the other thread as well.
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
... Grading intervals? I don't particularly care, but I would assume 1000, 2000, and 5000. Maybe another at 10,000 just so the issue doesn't come up again for a very long time.

The ranks for the higher levels could (for some) incite posting just for numbers (spam). We have to remember we are working towards quality and not quantity. This is not to say that the current holders of those High Ranks are spamming, I don't even mean to imply that, just that some members in the past with large numbers could/would post in large amounts (almost) daily (a word or 2, a smiley, a sentence, in a dozen areas daily) just to get their numbers up.
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:
just that some members in the past with large numbers could/would post in large amounts (almost) daily (a word or 2, a smiley, a sentence, in a dozen areas daily) just to get their numbers up.

If they get over a 1000 very low-quality posts just for the rank, they must want it very badly... Why not just give it to them if it means so much to them? (or ban them... it could go either way...)
deanhills
This is what we have presently:
Quote:
0-24 Posts - New Member
25-49 Posts - Frihost Wannabe
50-99 Posts - Junior Frihoster
100-199 Posts - Adolescent Frihoster
200-499 Posts - Frihoster
500-999 Posts - Senior Frihoster
1000-4999 Posts - Addicted Frihoster
5000+ - Frihost Freak

Why not make less ranks and up the numbers:
0-99 Posts - New Member
100-199 Posts - Junior Frihoster
500-1999 Posts - Senior Frihoster
2000+ - Frihost Sage
Ghost Rider103
I don't care personally how many ranks we have.

But I don't think that 500 post should achieve the rank of Senior Frihoster. I think keeping it at 1000 posts to get Senior is perfect.

Lowering that rank in my opinion is a very bad idea.

Just my opinion though.
sonam
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't care personally how many ranks we have.

But I don't think that 500 post should achieve the rank of Senior Frihoster. I think keeping it at 1000 posts to get Senior is perfect.

Lowering that rank in my opinion is a very bad idea.

Just my opinion though.

Senior Frihoster already is on 500 post. But I am agree with Ghost Rider103 to uppering it on 1000-2000 post.

Especialy because I am near to 1000 posts Razz

Sonam
pampoon
I think the little jumps in the beginning are a good idea, since when new users start out the idea of raising their ranks is an important one. Small jumps are better than the big ones suggested by deanhills, simply to encourage the new members, or that's how I see it anyway.
deanhills
pampoon wrote:
I think the little jumps in the beginning are a good idea, since when new users start out the idea of raising their ranks is an important one. Small jumps are better than the big ones suggested by deanhills, simply to encourage the new members, or that's how I see it anyway.
I thought that a year ago it was quite a feat to reach 5,000 postings. We now have a number of Frihosters moving towards 10,000 postings. If this continues, we may run out of ranks, so it could help to space them out a little. Otherwise we can keep them as they are and only focus on new ranks from 1,000 postings upwards. Perhaps Bondings can let us know what intervals they should be. If they are at 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 we could mark them with stars (2,000 per star):

Frihost Ace

Frihost Ace

Frihost Ace

etc.

One star for every 2,000 postings.

Then at 10,000 the same:

Frihost Super Ace

Frihost Super Ace

etc.
Ghost Rider103
I like the star idea.

For every so many post, you get another star added to your rank.

We could also have a name for each rank of course, but I think the stars would be a great addition to see how far up the line you really are in the rankings.

I also think we should move the ranking caps up to like 20k posts. Only because some people are already past the 4k mark, and once people start reaching 10k posts we will have to do this all over again. So by making the cap on the raking much higher, it makes sure we don't run into this problem again for quite sometime.
sonam
I am read again all posts and find out names what I would like. Here is my rank:

Quote:
0-24 Posts - New Member
1000-2000 Posts - Frihost Master
2000-5000 - Frihost Sage
5000+ - Infinity Frihoster

And after 5000 posts (like deanhills sugest) maybe is possible to start with stars every 1000 posts.

Sonam
Vrythramax
The stars idea isn't bad, but I would think that it would be harder for any newer members to tell what your rank was or how high a rank you actually had. Isn't that kind of self-defeating? I would think a user would want for all users to be able to tell at a glance how high they were in the ranking without having to consult a guide of sorts.
Ghost Rider103
Max, that is why I think the stars idea is good.

If you only have one star, it is very obvious you are not very high up in the rankings. If you have multiple, like 5, then it is even more obvious that you are a bit higher up in the rankings.

But I do like your idea better. After reaching 5k posts, start adding a star for every 1k posts. That in my opinion is a very good idea.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
The stars idea isn't bad, but I would think that it would be harder for any newer members to tell what your rank was or how high a rank you actually had. Isn't that kind of self-defeating? I would think a user would want for all users to be able to tell at a glance how high they were in the ranking without having to consult a guide of sorts.
Good point. Maybe we can stretch the existing ranks to cover the first 2000 points instead of the first 1000? Frihost master being the top one and then in future increase the grade points numbers percentage wise relative to the highest number of postings reached. This could be an example:

0-49 Posts - New Member
50-99 Posts - Frihost Wannabe
100-199 Posts - Junior Frihoster
200-299 Posts - Adolescent Frihoster
300-999 Posts - Frihoster
1000-1999 Posts - Senior Frihoster
2000-4999 Frihost Master
5000+ Frihost Grand Master
Vrythramax
Bondings wrote:
Considering there is a huge demand to replace the current top ranks of Frihost Freak and Addicted Frihoster, I guess it's time for a change. Ghost Rider103 is willing to create the actual images.

However, which ranks (name) would you like them to be? Something like 2-3 ranks to replace them. Please make some suggestions and mention which ones you would like and hate. (especially for users with a lot of posts)

er...after re-reading Bondings' original post, I think we may be missing something very important...he isn't saying we are replacing all of the ranks, just the top 2.

All of us "master posters" failed to actually read his post. Embarassed
truespeed
You could maybe go with a space theme,including planets ,perhaps with the top rank as Galaxian.
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

<.<
Not all of us
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

<.<
Not all of us

Cool

BAH! ... take a bag of fresh oats and a few sugar cubes out of petty cash and bill it to me for your keen eye. Razz
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

BAH! ... take a bag of fresh oats and a few sugar cubes out of petty cash and bill it to me for your keen eye. Razz

*Happy whinny*
^.^
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

<.<
Not all of us

Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK back to the topic my suggestion for the two ranks is:

Master Frihoster
Grand Master Frihoster
Ghost Rider103
I don't really like those two. They aren't really that much different from what we have now. I don't care if we use them or not, just my opinion. It will be a long time before I ever reach that anyways.

Also, "Grand Master FriHoster" seems a bit long. I might have to make the text a bit smaller to get them to fit into the current look of the ranks, and would be too difficult to read for some people. Extending the size is an option, but I doubt Bondings would want to make it bigger than the rest. It's best to keep them all the same size.

Just my thoughts.

If were going to ever get this done, you guys need to start throwing out some suggestions.

Everyone complained about they didn't like the ranks and wish Bondings would do something about it. Well now he is doing something about it, so don't let this fade away. He's doing what you guys asked, so it's time to figure something out.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't really like those two. They aren't really that much different from what we have now. I don't care if we use them or not, just my opinion. It will be a long time before I ever reach that anyways.

Also, "Grand Master FriHoster" seems a bit long. I might have to make the text a bit smaller to get them to fit into the current look of the ranks, and would be too difficult to read for some people. Extending the size is an option, but I doubt Bondings would want to make it bigger than the rest. It's best to keep them all the same size.

Just my thoughts.

If were going to ever get this done, you guys need to start throwing out some suggestions.

Everyone complained about they didn't like the ranks and wish Bondings would do something about it. Well now he is doing something about it, so don't let this fade away. He's doing what you guys asked, so it's time to figure something out.
Ghost Rider, how about coming up with a suggestion yourself as well? I welcome criticism, but it would be nice to see a suggestion for a more suitable alternative (in your opinion) in addition to the criticism. It would perhaps also motivate others to participate. Smile
[FuN]goku
Frihost Sage
Frihost Master
Elite Frihoster
Frihost Wiseman

Thats about all i can suggest.
truespeed
Galaxian
God
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Just my thoughts.

Ghost Rider, how about coming up with a suggestion yourself as well? I welcome criticism, but it would be nice to see a suggestion for a more suitable alternative (in your opinion) in addition to the criticism. It would perhaps also motivate others to participate. Smile

I'd rather not. I didn't mean to offend you if I did.

I was just pointing out that most of the members wanted the top ranks changed because they do not seem very realistic and more fantasy/cartoonish like. The two suggestions you gave I think are fine in my opinion, however I am not very picky when it comes to this kind of thing. I was just keeping everyone else opinion in mind.
deanhills
@ghostrider ..... no, I was not offended, maybe I am of the same frame of mind as you are, I was so much hoping people would come up with some names. Maybe Bondings should make a competition out of it? Smile

This is a summary of some of the names that have already been submitted:
Ocalhoun
Quote:
Frihost Savant
Frihost Chief
Ace Frihoster
Prime Frihoster
Extravagant Frihoster
Copious Frihoster

zbale
Quote:
I think names suggesting seniority and prestige would be a good choice as replacements of "addicted" and "freak". I think that Veteran Frihoster, which has been proposed already, is great. Other possible adjectives could be taken from a list including: Master / Expert / Seasoned / Established / Accomplished / Wise / Vintage / Heavyweight / Hardened Frihoster or from nouns (not followed by "Frihoster", and possibly preceded by "Frihost") such as Elder / Master / Sage / Ancient / etc.

and
Quote:
I think my choice would be either:

Senior Frihoster
Expert Frihoster
Veteran Frihoster
[Frihoster's choice]

or:

Senior Frihoster
Expert Frihoster
Frihost Master
[Frihoster's choice]

A funny one (with a nod to the Academia) would be "Frihoster Emeritus".

Deanhills No. 1 (using stars)
Quote:
Frihost Ace

Frihost Ace

Frihost Ace

etc.

One star for every 2,000 postings.

Then at 10,000 the same:

Frihost Super Ace

Frihost Super Ace

etc.

Sonam
Quote:
I am read again all posts and find out names what I would like. Here is my rank:

Quote:
0-24 Posts - New Member
1000-2000 Posts - Frihost Master
2000-5000 - Frihost Sage
5000+ - Infinity Frihoster

And after 5000 posts (like deanhills sugest) maybe is possible to start with stars every 1000 posts.

Sonam

Deanhills No. 2:

Quote:
My suggestion for the two ranks is:

Master Frihoster
Grand Master Frihoster

From the other Frihost Ranks thread
AVG
Quote:
I like the rank "Veteran Frihoster". Another name that popped into my head was "Frihost Master" or probably "Frihost God".

Also, I agree with the Specialist ranks suggestion. I think that they really put in a lot of time and effort in posting.

Deanhills
Quote:
Champion Frihoster
Frihoster Frontrunner
Frihoster Highflier
Frihoster Livewire
Frihoster Whiz
Frihoster Victor
Frihoster Vanquisher
Specialist Frihoster
Frihoster Achiever
Frihoster Expert
Guru Frihoster
adri
I would say (from deanhills summary):
- Frihost Expert
- Frihost Master

~Adri Smile
deanhills
Bondings, are we getting anywhere with the suggestions? Would be great if we could make some changes as I seem to be heading in the direction of Frihost Freak again soon Shocked

How about Frihost Knight?

Just don't want to be a Frihost Freak. Pray
Ghost Rider103
So does anyone have a final say in what the ranks are going to be?

Frihost Knight isn't bad. But we need to make sure everyone else agrees with it, or we'll be in this same situation a few years down the road.

I really don't care what it is. Somebody just give the final word and I'll design them right away.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
So does anyone have a final say in what the ranks are going to be?

Frihost Knight isn't bad. But we need to make sure everyone else agrees with it, or we'll be in this same situation a few years down the road.

I really don't care what it is. Somebody just give the final word and I'll design them right away.
Totally agreed Ghost Rider. Anything but Frihost Freak would do for me too. We've made so many suggestions for alternatives, maybe Bondings can choose one and then get you to do the artwork, and then that would be an enormous relief! Pray Dancing
Vrythramax
deanhills wrote:
Totally agreed Ghost Rider. Anything but Frihost Freak would do for me too. We've made so many suggestions for alternatives, maybe Bondings can choose one and then get you to do the artwork, and then that would be an enormous relief! Pray Dancing

There has in fact been so many suggestions that it is difficult to keep track. Perhaps you should all get together and make a FINAL list of suggestions and forward that to Bondings. Maybe even use the Poll feature. Keep in mind there is only a couple of ranks under discussion.

This whole thing is turning to spamming for points now.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
This whole thing is turning to spamming for points now.
No Max, it is genuine. No spamming. I've done this before, gone through everything before, as remember this is a second thread that Bondings started after we had been running another one for quite a while (I think you had been absent during that time). This is the link to the previous thread:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-100574.html&sid=cabe9e87e6fb9f754cd60ed52d1881ea

And so nothing came off it then, and we are going in the same direction with this one, although what made it meaningful with this thread was that Bondings created it, also that he asked us for two new names (we don't have to redesign all of it). I will have to go through everything again (in both threads), and then maybe put a voting poll with it, but before I get there I would probably have to confirm that I did the summary right first. Brick wall

To be truthful, I (perhaps all of us who have been participating in this thread from the beginning of time) was (were) hoping Bondings would give the postings of his thread a read, and decide on his own what he would like it to be. Or give it to you or the other moderators to decide, seeing you've been here much longer than most of us. Thinking about it, maybe you could do the poll, as perhaps when you work through the postings in this thread, you may come with some ideas of your own as maybe you have been involved in discussions like these years ago? Think Dancing

Seriously, let us know what you think, I don't mind to do it, but possibly a moderator or Bondings would be better for the task?
Vrythramax
deanhills wrote:
Seriously, let us know what you think, I don't mind to do it, but possibly a moderator or Bondings would be better for the task?

Honestly, I don't mind the ranks the way they are, but that could be in part because I will never hold the "Frihost Freak" title...even if I manage to make that many posts AND lose my position here...I'd get a "Retired Moderator" badge (or Banned). Very Happy

As I said in an earlier post...it's all up to Bondings as to the name changes, and he would be the only one (I would think) that could delegate the task of changes any ranks.
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

As I said in an earlier post...it's all up to Bondings as to the name changes, and he would be the only one (I would think) that could delegate the task of changes any ranks.

Another admin probably could, but I doubt they would without asking bondings first.
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
Another admin probably could, but I doubt they would without asking bondings first.

Oh absolutly, another admin COULD make the changes, but as you said it would be up to Bondings to decide.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
but that could be in part because I will never hold the "Frihost Freak" title...
Ahhhh ..... now you have hit it right on the number for me. The Frihost Freak Rank has to be the worst punishment for me ever, my real motivation for keeping this thread alive .... Shocked Anxious Pray

On a serious note, should we put together a list of the names that have been suggested in this thread so that by the time Bondings does get to it that it is nicely wrapped up and easy to digest:?
rvec
-close-
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109791.html