FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Portal VS Site

Rafe
Im starting a graphics website over this host (great plan btw) and I know I am using a forum. So I am thinking maybe instead of a fancy site, I just get a portal and have it direct to the forum. What yall think?
einar
It depends on what you really want to do with your website. I am not impressed by a portal to "nothing". If your main focus is a discussion forum I think you should stick to that.

If you need other types of functionality, you could be better off with a portal. If you chose Joomla!, the CMS formerly known as mambo, you could even have your forum integrated into the portal. (SMF) You shold really consider this.

For more information on how to install and manage a Joomla site, I reckomend you to visit www.joomla.org.

There you will see a nice implementation of a integrated forum and many other nice functions.

Good luck1 Very Happy
Rafe
well i mean just a portal like a page with a link and an image under it. often people are daunted when they go to a webpage with just a forum on the index. so this would like direct people to the forum or a site description as 2 seperate options.
Arcath
as in a splash image (e.g. the site logo) then a para about the site then a link that says ENTER?
Rafe
Arcath wrote:
as in a splash image (e.g. the site logo) then a para about the site then a link that says ENTER?

exactly! sorry if i was a little un-understandable. i lost the terminology months ago, but yeah splash image is what i meant.
einar
If this is what you were thinking about, I don't think it is such a good idea. You want some activity on your forum, right ? that means that you should have regular users and readers, not occasional or accidental guest. So I think the presentation on top of a forum page will do. But after all. It could be a good idea if you after some consideration should want to add some more functionality later on. If that is the case, I think you should start to use a CMS system like joomla right away. Then it will be easier to expand the site.
Good luck again § Cool
Rafe
einar wrote:
If this is what you were thinking about, I don't think it is such a good idea. You want some activity on your forum, right ? that means that you should have regular users and readers, not occasional or accidental guest. So I think the presentation on top of a forum page will do. But after all. It could be a good idea if you after some consideration should want to add some more functionality later on. If that is the case, I think you should start to use a CMS system like joomla right away. Then it will be easier to expand the site.
Good luck again § Cool

so maybe something like a cookie that directs you to the splash image on the first view you think?
devspirit
it's interssant to guide the user, not all your visitors are good users of internet
Rafe
devspirit wrote:
it's interssant to guide the user, not all your visitors are good users of internet

err im sorry, that wasnt quite understandable. please repeat it clearer.
ashok
i think the splash image will be fine and will do the work. or keep automated forwarding to forum after a few seconds along with a direct link.
Rafe
ashok wrote:
i think the splash image will be fine and will do the work. or keep automated forwarding to forum after a few seconds along with a direct link.

i like your idea. thanks!
supjapscrapper
Yeah ok, a splash image and a redirection might be the perfect solution .... if you want a light qiuck to the thing website and there are many like this. So in this case having a portal is by no means a good soluion and it might be a hell lot of work for you.

But then you'd find yourself with a minimalistic thing that doesn't allow for creative input or read designed and completely manageable aspect of the whole thing.

it's up to you to decide in the end. I'd go for the light forum-based solution.

mach's gut!
Tieskevo
i would make an whole site.. but.. i gues thats just because i like to make sites (i think the most of us do..)
XeononyX
Actually when I think portal its something that I am trying to develop using an Inline frame ... (see http://xeononyx.frihost.net ) when it comes up the first thing that comes up in the window is my forum. Then when users click on something on the portal (like downloads) the in line frame changes to that page. Albeit, its not there but I'm still working on it. That is where I will put links to other related sites (like frihost, flickR, and such) that I am currently using and promoting.

I guess what I'm asking is "Is this a good Idea or an eyesore?"