FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Topics in the Wrong Category

Ghost Rider103
I know I have brought this up before in the past, and even in a few other threads. But nothing really seems to be changing about it.

There is countless threads in the General Chat section that do not belong there, and I personally cannot stand that.

I can understand someone having an accident and posting it in the wrong section, but that should be moved as soon as possible into the correct category. But when we have that many topics in General Chat that do not belong there, and have been there long enough to have more than one page in that thread, something is wrong here.

I have read the rules, and I do know if I see this I should of course report it. However, there have been multiple times where I have reported a thread more than once. I reported the thread, and a few days later I see it is still in the General Chat. I then reported it again a few days later. Not until then was it finally removed.

I have come to think that we may need a little more moderator power here. It seems that the current staff around here cannot keep up in keeping each category cleaned up. This is nothing personal at all. I actually like most of the moderators and administrators around here, and even talk with a few of them on a daily basis.

I have seen this problem for months now, and it is still the same, if not worse.

I am not blaming this on the staff at all, I am simply saying that we may just need more. I know the staff here are very busy people with their own life, and Frihost has a pretty big amount of daily posters, and we are still growing.

We have quite a few different categories here at Frihost, and almost any topic has it's own category.

Right now I can go into the General Chat, and I'll bet I can find that 40% of the topics in there can fit into a different category other than the General Chat.

I used to use the report button quite a bit. But I started noticing that the problem I report doesn't always get taken care of.

I really think something needs to be done about this.

There can be a few things that can be done to help the situation.

We can get another moderator or two to get some more power to keep the place cleaned up.

I have been on a forum before that when you first start a new thread, before you even type the title of the topic of your new thread, it tells you the description of the category you are in. It makes you check a box saying "I believe [insert category name] is the BEST section for this topic". This could be something to make sure people are more aware of where they are at.

We could also have a global announcement reminding people to look at other categories of the forums before they even think about posting a thread in the General Chat.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions that we could do to keep topics where they belong?
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Does anyone else have any good suggestions that we could do to keep topics where they belong?

Put the general chat forum at the bottom of the list. That will decrease its use, and most of the remaining use it gets will be because people didn't know what other forum to put something in.
Vrythramax
You could also PM a mod you know to be sympathetic to your situation. Wink

We (Mods, AC's, Admins...staff) can't read every post in every forum. I'm not advocating "Back-seat Moderation", but registered users can help us out as there are many more of you than there are staff members. Try talking to us, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that we are actually human. Very Happy

I doubt changing the display order will decrease the General Forum usage, most new users don't even know that feature exists, and it would still be marked with new posts when something is posted...and people will look.
Ghost Rider103
Well there has been a few times where I have told Hellios or Rvec about a thread in the IRC.

Rvec doesn't seem to mind. But Hellios gets a bit defensive and tells me not to report it in the IRC. Laughing

Though I feel if I have to tell a staff member about this many problems about just topics being in the wrong category, then we simply do not have enough staff members.

I'm not so sure that changing the position of General Chat would help much either. As I think most people think of a topic and since they don't know all the categories off the top of their head, they think, "Oh, I'll just post it in the General Chat!". I believe if people actually looked for the correct category, we wouldn't have that many topics in the general chat that do not belong, like we do now.

I'm usually not one to suggest getting more staff members, as even I personally think you do not need very many staff members to keep a forum system going, but I honestly think it would be the best option at this point.

If we as members need to report post, and or talk to staff members about this problem, then aren't the staff members kind of getting their job handed to them?

I agree with you Max, you guys can't read through every single thread and catch every single thing, there is just simply way too many posts going on here at Frihost. In fact, I don't read through hardly any topics at all unless they really interest me. But even without reading through threads, all I have to do is read the title of the topic and I already know it doesn't belong in the General Chat.
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

I doubt changing the display order will decrease the General Forum usage, most new users don't even know that feature exists, and it would still be marked with new posts when something is posted...and people will look.

Huh? New users don't even know the forum index exists?
Hogwarts
Vrythramax wrote:
Try talking to us, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that we are actually human. Very Happy

At the risk of giving away one of Frihost's founder's secrets, I'm not entirely sure how valid that statement is Shocked
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
Huh? New users don't even know the forum index exists?

Of course they know the Index exists, but changing the display order won't change it's popularity. Lazy people won't bother to even attempt to find the right catagory, and on any forum the "General" catagory is (almost) always a dumping ground.

@Ghost Rider103

IRC is the exact place to report things of that nature in real-time. Usually when Rvec or myself get a report or complaint like that...it's kind of a race between us to see who handles it first. Smile
Even when we don't appear active in the channel, you know we aren't always staring at the screen all the time, we still read thru the logs when we return and act upon anything at that point.

@Hogwarts

Good point. But he isn't a real alien, he just plays one on the forums. Wink
rvec
Quote:
Good point. But he isn't a real alien, he just plays one on the forums.

Yeah they'll beleve that now Razz

Quote:
IRC is the exact place to report things of that nature in real-time

Not always. If an admin or mod is online and has time you can ask him/her to take action, but if you report a post you can be sure an admin or mod will look at it when he/she has time.

And yeah more staff might be the solution.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
You could also PM a mod you know to be sympathetic to your situation. Wink

We (Mods, AC's, Admins...staff) can't read every post in every forum. I'm not advocating "Back-seat Moderation", but registered users can help us out as there are many more of you than there are staff members. Try talking to us, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that we are actually human. Very Happy

I've been tempted quite a number of times and then thought about it that it has to be wrong along the same lines that it is against the rules to play moderator during a discussion. There is not much difference between the two is there? Just seems more appropriate for a moderator to be moderating. And a poster to be posting. If there is a shortage of moderators, perhaps some additional ones need to be appointed?

I really think Ocalhoun's suggestion is an excellent one. Newbies always tend to post in the first forum they see. If the Chat forum is put at the bottom of the list, there will already be a change there and then.
rvec
eehm, sending a pm to a mod/admin isn't the best way. Any mod/admin could be away for a couple of weeks and your message won't be answered. If you report it the normal way you can be sure an admin or mod will at least look at it in a couple of days.
Vrythramax
You guys are of course correct, use the report feature. Pm'ing a mod sympathetic to your situation would never work.
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
You guys are of course correct, use the report feature. Pm'ing a mod sympathetic to your situation would never work.
Well maybe if you pm the right mod, but it's kinda like gambling Razz
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
Well maybe if you pm the right mod, but it's kinda like gambling Razz

You are right, it's always a gamble when you ask someone for help.
ocalhoun
Really, what's wrong with just using the snazzy new reporting tool?
As long as what you're reporting is genuinely wrong, it seems to always get done within 24 hours or so.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Really, what's wrong with just using the snazzy new reporting tool?
As long as what you're reporting is genuinely wrong, it seems to always get done within 24 hours or so.
I must agree the new reporting tool is really snazzy. Whoever is responsible for upgrading it must be congratulated for the effort.
Helios
I'm against reporting in the IRC channel. There's a nice system Bondings worked so hard on - use it. Plus it keeps all the reports nice and tidy in one place.