FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tabular layout dilemma

georgeodowd
So we all know they're bad, right? Deep in the very marrow of our bones, nested table layouts cause us pain. And here I thought that there was no obstacle too great for css/div layout. Well, if we exclude IE and other unworthy browsers from the picture, there isn't.
But the problem is a co-worker of mine is in charge of a redesign of our site. He decided to use a table and those horrible clear spacer gifs for the page content. I immediately felt like crying, and asked him why on earth he would do such a thing.
Well, here's the scoop. Twenty-some percent of our userbase has IE6 (really). We cannot assume that anyone has javascript enabled. But my co-worker wants the page footer to sit at the very bottom of the browser window regardless of content height and monitor size (unless, of course, the content is so long that the page has to scroll).
Well, min-height and table-layout are out, obviously, since IE6 doesn't support them. So, too, is the hack with the prop div described here: http://www.greywyvern.com/code/min-height-hack since this (and min height) won't make the footer's vertical alignment relative to the bottom of the browser window.
I can't help but feel that I am missing some secret magic solution to the problem that doesn't involve the bulk and inflexibility of tables. Are there any genius CSS gurus out there that have some ideas about how to solve this? Or are we stuck in the Dark Age of Web Design until we cut ties with IE6?
TomS
georgeodowd wrote:
Or are we stuck in the Dark Age of Web Design until we cut ties with IE6?

Yes. Indeed.

You could put the footer in an absolut position close to the lower edge. But if the content is longer than the screen height, the content will go on behind the footer instead of pushing it down.
And you need to add a blank space after the content, or else the last few lines will always stay behind the footer.
georgeodowd
That's sort of what I was afraid of. Thank you for confirming though.
Star Wars Fanatic
I wish IE6 would just die already, but, there is something you can do, check out this site:
http://ryanfait.com/sticky-footer/

It works like a charm. I use it on nearly all the sites I code.

And tell your coworker to never ever use tables. If it came between not having that cool look in IE6 and using tables. Forget IE6. Just build a stripped down version of it with a nice big message to upgrade their browser. Heck, even IE7 is better then IE6.
TomS
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
I wish IE6 would just die already, but, there is something you can do, check out this site:

And tell your coworker to never ever use tables. If it came between not having that cool look in IE6 and using tables. Forget IE6. Just build a stripped down version of it with a nice big message to upgrade their browser. Heck, even IE7 is better then IE6.

But IE8 is the best Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
TomS wrote:

Best in terms of what? Browser? No. Best IE? Yes.
TomS
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
TomS wrote:

Best IE. Yes. Sorry.

To claim it's the best browser would cause an unnecessary browser flame war Rolling Eyes
GB
I agree, you don't need to drop standards based web design just because 20% of your users use IE6. While many designers balk at the idea, I don't believe your website has to look exactly the same on all browsers. Use conditional comments to feed an alternate style sheet to IE6. The main thing is to put the same content in front of your users. Maybe you change a few things for the IE6 version. That's okay. Thankfully, we can just use a conditional comment to give a separate CSS file to the troublesome IE6 browser. Good luck!
georgeodowd
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:

Hey, that looks pretty awesome. I've passed the link to the co-worker, and will do some testing to see if it fits the bill. Gotta love those clean, simple solutions!

I wish we could just forget IE6, but it's a govt website, and the mandate from on high is we must support IE6 and we cannot ask users to upgrade. Trust me, I've fought pretty hard against this, but I'm working for a place that has 6 developers working simultaneously on the production code base with no source control... there is not even a shred of common sense, despite my constant attempts to educate these people. Evil or Very Mad
georgeodowd
TomS wrote:
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
TomS wrote:

Best IE. Yes. Sorry.

To claim it's the best browser would cause an unnecessary browser flame war Rolling Eyes

Very unnecessary... Wink
georgeodowd
GB wrote:
I agree, you don't need to drop standards based web design just because 20% of your users use IE6. While many designers balk at the idea, I don't believe your website has to look exactly the same on all browsers. Use conditional comments to feed an alternate style sheet to IE6. The main thing is to put the same content in front of your users. Maybe you change a few things for the IE6 version. That's okay. Thankfully, we can just use a conditional comment to give a separate CSS file to the troublesome IE6 browser. Good luck!

Yeah, I tried arguing for that, but the rest of the team said that they didn't want to support multiple style sheets (like it's a big deal) - this is the same group of people who say we don't need source control because checking in files would slow down our process too much... excuse me while I go shred some furniture.