FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Care for an aquarium while on vacation

programitv
I have a small aquarium (30l) with three small golden fish. As I am going on vacation for more than two weeks and I don`t have anyone to care about
the aquarium during this period, I am wondering what to do to ensure the fishes will be still alive when I come back.

So far I am feeding them with special food for golden fish and from time to time I put plants in the aquarium so they can vary the food.
Did someone try to feed the fish only with water plants for a long period? Do you have any similar experience and what did you do in this case?

Thank you in advance for a reply.
ocalhoun
http://www.bestfish.com/vacfoodpa.html
That pretty much sums it up.
Crazy_Canuck
We always used food blocks and they did just fine. I think it will be easy to use them with your goldfish, They aren't as picky as tropical fish.
driftingfe3s
I've also used the time release blocks when I had fishes. They worked great, all my fishes were alive when I came back.

The other time I was out on vacation I gave my house keys to my cousin and he came over and fed them every other day.
sana618
well all that type of food is ok if your going for a couple of weeks, what about if you are going for a couple of months then you have to change water too. i think it is better if you had some friend or relative who knows how to look after the fish and request them to take care of them till you get back from your holidays.
deanhills
I guess there is nothing better than a human person to look after the fish, provided that you can trust the person, which of course is another matter. Ocalhoun came up with a great link, and the suggestion in the article for mechanical feeders sound like a good one. Why not ask a pet shop if they have facilities for keeping fish, maybe you can do a deal with them?
sana618
I don't think that shopkeepers do that, that is take other peoples fish to look after for a certain time, maybe it is ok for a few fish, but what if you have a number of tanks and that too big ones? then you have to ask some one to look after which will be better rather then worry about them in spite of having mechanical feeders.
some times pet shop keepers are not that forthcoming when asked for advice. at least that is my experience. when i had asked for some advice about the medicine for my fish in the Sharjah pet market the guy there just showed me a range of medicine bottles but did not explain as to which medicine was for what.
so you see I'd rather depend on a friend or relative to take care of my fish then on the mechanical feeders which have every possibility of braking down and the fish starving or a pet shop who would not really care your fish as you do.
atul2242
programitv wrote:
I have a small aquarium (30l) with three small golden fish. As I am going on vacation for more than two weeks and I don`t have anyone to care about
the aquarium during this period, I am wondering what to do to ensure the fishes will be still alive when I come back.

So far I am feeding them with special food for golden fish and from time to time I put plants in the aquarium so they can vary the food.
Did someone try to feed the fish only with water plants for a long period? Do you have any similar experience and what did you do in this case?

Thank you in advance for a reply.

You can feed the fish release block food, add some plants which will keep the tank oxygenated and provide food. But I do not recommend using feeder blocks while you are away, because they can impact the aquarium water chemistry. There are two relatively easy options to feed your fish. One is to find a fish sitter, the other option is to simply let your fish go unfed while you are gone. Before you faint at the second option, read on.

Don't Feed Them!
Living in a watery environment has its advantages - fish don't have to wait for you to give them a drink. As for food, freshwater fish are quite capable of going for several days without a meal. In fact, healthy adult fish can go for a week or two without feeding. That doesn't mean you should routinely skip feedings, however your fish can safely be left without food over a long holiday weekend. However, keep in mind that food is not the only concern when going away.