FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If you know Javascript you might want to play with these too

chasbeen
I have been developing an online tool on my website so that you can make your website better.

You will need to learn the base language (2 weeks?) and then you can use this online tool.

You will need to know basic javascript to begin with...

http://www.irunmywebsite.com/raphael/raphaelsource.html
leontius
Is this some sort of example to the underlying raphael library? It does seem to be a good library though.

Maybe the site can make use of some reorganizing.
chasbeen
Hello,

yes the underlying library is designed to render advanced graphics. My website tries to build a layer on top of that so that it is easier to use.

I like it when people send me emails telling me how much I or my website has helped them out.

I am not a through and through web designer though, but I like to think i'm getting there. Wink
chasbeen
This website recieves as a minimum one update a week and provides a method to enhance simple web pages.

The support of SVG in browsers was complete (FF, OP, SF & CHROME) except for the biggest of browsers (IE).

However there are now tools that utelise IE's VML software so that "Vector graphics" can be supported cross-browser.

If anyone would like to make their website more appealing and would like to make their website stand out you could do worse and investigate a little further by visiting...

http://www.irunmywebsite.com/raphael/raphaelsource.html
aasrain
[quote="leontius"]Is this some sort of example to the underlying raphael library? It does seem to be a good library though.

Who know thae javascript
aasrain
chasbeen wrote:
I have been developing an online tool on my website so that you can make your website better.

javascrpit is one of the worst language
chasbeen
Well I would be very interested in what you are into last commenter from India (aasrain).

I'm not joking. As you get older you tend to be very fixed in your ideas and I like to think I'm still bendy Laughing

What language do you use?

Can I look at your website?

Maybe we can swap a few ideas together. Smile
leontius
chasbeen wrote:
Well I would be very interested in what you are into last commenter from India (aasrain).

I'm not joking. As you get older you tend to be very fixed in your ideas and I like to think I'm still bendy Laughing

What language do you use?

Can I look at your website?

Maybe we can swap a few ideas together. Smile

I can answer that for you:
* The domain for the language is overwhelmingly specific: to run on client browsers. So mastering javascript does not have much use outside the field; contrast this with learning Java. In a sense this is what makes PHP also "bad" in a way. (Of course there are things such as mozilla using JS for applications, but it's not quite established yet.)
* It lacks modern language features such as package management and solid standard library.
* Current implementations in browsers are quite incompatible to each other, making it harder to write codes that run anywhere.

Of course these are my subjective opinions.
chasbeen
Leon..

I really appreciate your reply and i'm not being sarchastic. Here is my reply (and am asking myself am I just too inflexible)

Quote:
* The domain for the language is overwhelmingly specific: to run on client browsers. So mastering javascript does not have much use outside the field; contrast this with learning Java. In a sense this is what makes PHP also "bad" in a way. (Of course there are things such as mozilla using JS for applications, but it's not quite established yet.)

Well I do know server side languages in depth Java, Php etc so I realise javascript is only part of the deal. However, I would argue, it's just as important as anything else to have an all round complete system. This is especially true if you are producing dynamic pages with no server interaction.

Also I am a certified Java developer having achieved "programmer" certification in 2000 and "web-component" developer in 2004. Actually I use very little Java nowadays because it takes ages to do anything with it, I have actually heard it being referred to as the "cobol of the 21st century"

So I do know Java but I'd much rather use PHP.

Quote:
* It lacks modern language features such as package management and solid standard library.

That's what I used to think but it actually supports almost all the other concepts of modern languages such as c++, java , .net and php. Things like inheritance and object libraries. (Almost all code I use with Javascript is inherited objects)

Quote:
* Current implementations in browsers are quite incompatible to each other, making it harder to write codes that run anywhere.

Not so much these days. I still have to provide "forks" to cater for all the browsers. This library I am going on (and on) about makes vector graphics across browsers which use to never possible.

If you or anyone else wants to know more I will help them.
leontius
Now we can make a lively debate out of this, and I'm not sarcastic really Smile

chasbeen wrote:

Well I do know server side languages in depth Java, Php etc so I realise javascript is only part of the deal. However, I would argue, it's just as important as anything else to have an all round complete system. This is especially true if you are producing dynamic pages with no server interaction.

Also I am a certified Java developer having achieved "programmer" certification in 2000 and "web-component" developer in 2004. Actually I use very little Java nowadays because it takes ages to do anything with it, I have actually heard it being referred to as the "cobol of the 21st century"

So I do know Java but I'd much rather use PHP.

I concur... I'm not that proficient with Java but from my limited experience it is really too verbose and too many layers of abstraction. I guess one of the reasons that there are a few powerful java IDEs is that developers need them to work with the language, as opposed to some other modern languages where an IDE is less essential.

However, I would still like to see a new language for the particular domain. Imagine that you can use the same validation code on the client and server, either by implementing eg. PHP for client scripting or implementing JS for server-side programming (I heard the latter is being done).

chasbeen wrote:

That's what I used to think but it actually supports almost all the other concepts of modern languages such as c++, java , .net and php. Things like inheritance and object libraries. (Almost all code I use with Javascript is inherited objects)

Quote:

Not so much these days. I still have to provide "forks" to cater for all the browsers. This library I am going on (and on) about makes vector graphics across browsers which use to never possible.

Well, package management is even much more important for JS than in other languages because JS codes are usually transmitted across the network. If implemented correctly, the system can make sure that web browsers do not have to download the same jquery.js or raphael.js every time they visit different websites, and that scripts can always load a particular version of a library easily.

IMO, things like CSS-based selection of elements and Raphael should be in the core language of JS, implemented as a standard core library. Presently we do not have this, so people try to make a (non-standard) library for it and further worsen the problem of incompatibility across libraries. The web development world really needs further standardisation...

Quote:
Here is my reply (and am asking myself am I just too inflexible)

No, not at all... Actually I myself like JS a lot. JS currently is the only language capable of doing the job. I just imagined a world where other languages do the job Smile
chasbeen
Leontius you are using "new labels" so this here old guy is looking them up.

ISSUE 1: Dividing up the responsibilities of getting an application to production.
Isn't "package management" synonymous with a "deployment package"?
For example IBM Websphere is a j2ee web server and you deploy a zipped version of the application.

I don't like them because the guy trying to unpackage the deployment has no clue what he's really doing (at a low level). You see myself and others have spent many hours on support calls with IBM because we do not have the in depth knowledge of the code being generated and we have been doing it for years.

ISSUE 2: Universal coding for the server and client.
I just picked two random files at the bottom of the 2 code examples I leave one comment

The code PHP example ...
Server work
If($_POST['submit']==true)
{
For($x=0; $x <= $filesetcount-1; $x++)
{
If($_FILES['file']['name'][$x])

The code javascript example ...
var BrowserDetect={init:function(){this.browser=this.searchString(this.dataBrowser).......
function incrementProgress() {
progress++;
document.getElementById("progressIndicator").style.width = ((progress/progresslength)*100) + "%";
}

javascript and php are two computer languages that are designed to operate in their own environment with the tasks necessary.