FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Wave

medesignz
I just watched the 1hr 20minute presentation on google wave...

It looks immense... I WANT IT... Have applied for sandbox

Do any of you guys have any opinions of it?!
lethaltriad
heading out on the road shortly but watched the first 10 mins of it. Looks really promising and i'm sure it will be widely used and supported since its from google.
silverdown
It's interesting and very cool!...
I think this is very cool, i checked it out and found it useful thank you Very Happy
anakin_skyrunner
Yep, that's quit an impressive invention. I'm looking forward to trying it but I'm unsure whether it will "kill" the old way of communication (mail) as many say or not...
medesignz
eMails are very much like old style snail mail, and it is alot easier to follow and understand

googlewave is, I feel, made for web savvy peoples!
jwellsy
I don't understand why people make a thread like this and don't include any links.
misterXY
jwellsy wrote:
I don't understand why people make a thread like this and don't include any links.

l usually know, but once in awhile l'm annoyed too.
Here's the info if you're looking for it, there's a bunch of firefox weave when you google it Sad
http://mashable.com/2009/05/28/google-wave-guide/

l'll post more if l can find invites, videos, etc..
anakin_skyrunner
Watch this:
click and go to Youtube
It's about 1h20m long but it's worth it!
the zephyrus
Do you guys figure this is marketable for developers? Can people make money off wave apps? (compare: facebook apps, some guys live off ads on the most popular ads)
aningbo
google seems to be taking over everything the internet owns... and i like every application they have developed.

good work google and hope to see it working in full time.
medesignz
the zephyrus wrote:
Do you guys figure this is marketable for developers? Can people make money off wave apps? (compare: facebook apps, some guys live off ads on the most popular ads)

I guess its not that much of a commercial environment, but is for more inhouse communication...
... but I guess it will evolve into MONEY MONEY MONEY
sondosia
I don't really understand what Google Wave is exactly, but I've always been a bit of an early adopter so I applied for their beta invitation thing anyway. =)
misterXY
sondosia wrote:
I don't really understand what Google Wave is exactly, but I've always been a bit of an early adopter so I applied for their beta invitation thing anyway. =)

l'm also a early adopter, esp in software but l have a feeling this program will be split into free and premium pretty quick after it's picked up with businesses.
medesignz
I got my invitation to join the sandbox today... I have to wait a few days for my account to be created, but shall be reporting back periodically... did anyone else get an invite? Laughing
Marcuzzo
I've heard of it but didn't check it out, I will have a look at it when I get home
medesignz
at the moment its really slow... but thats understandable...

just playing around for the time being, but will take a good crack at it in the morning Laughing
awazdohamko2004
It was interesting video .... when are they planing to launch this application .. well one thing i was no able to understand .. it it a stand alone application or just an add on to other browsers as plug ins ...
binsmyth
Well they do seem to be ahead in this game. They are coming up with so many new innovations it's replacing other technology that we are using. apart from that wave is also an open source so, that would be quite good for us. But, I am not sure about google's mission of replacing the e-mail by wave. Let's see what happens
snowboardalliance
As an update, I got my invite a couple of days ago, anyone else?

Right now, my opinion is that it is pointless. No one can use it because your friends/coworkers need to have it in order for you to collaborate on anything.

But as it expands I could see it being great. Like with an API that lets any website integrate wave could replace some forums/CMS websites with something "wave-powered". But I don't really know the future plans. I just have no use for wave right now.

I was kind of hoping it would integrate better with email or somethign so maybe I could use it.
leontius
I got an invite for the preview a few weeks back Smile

That being said, it's wonderful only once you get used to it and once people get the accounts. (or alternatively, let anonymous users contribute to a wave, just like what google docs have now).
anakin_skyrunner
Now that I have invited some of my friends it's actually making sense. When I first got the invite it was like "oh boy, this is sooo amazing", but after a day or so I got bored because I couldn't do anything. Now it's making fun again, although it's still buggy and slow at some times.
But it certainly will be a good thing, though I know that I'm going use "normal" email as well.

By the way, it's rly a nice thing, we are currently planning which movie we should watch next, and are testing the Yes-No-Maybe app - works great Smile
No more "I didn't get the mail"...
snowboardalliance
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Now that I have invited some of my friends it's actually making sense. When I first got the invite it was like "oh boy, this is sooo amazing", but after a day or so I got bored because I couldn't do anything. Now it's making fun again, although it's still buggy and slow at some times.
But it certainly will be a good thing, though I know that I'm going use "normal" email as well.

By the way, it's rly a nice thing, we are currently planning which movie we should watch next, and are testing the Yes-No-Maybe app - works great Smile
No more "I didn't get the mail"...

I'm still not sure how this could replace email, but I really want my friends to get invited so I can actually try it.

Oh well
FunDa
ha .. I got an account ! My friend had invited me some time back, but it took a really long time to get the acccount. I haven't watched the 1 hour 20 mins video yet, so my first few waves were basiclaly Hello world and a map of the world lol

Have to fgiure out what to use it for.

Rite now, don't have any invites or anything, and only 2 of my friends have wave, so nothing much is going on ... Sad

Proably will work something out when more people join...
medesignz
I dont have any invites, sorry everyone
joostvane
I have 8 invitations for Google wave. If you want one, send me your email-address in a PM.

I have a lot of schoolwork right now, but I still check my email 2 times a day, but be patient.
tchaunt
I agree with others that Google is taking over this region of the internet in the near future! But wording it using "taking over" is a bit harsh, especially when you consider how they're able to "take it over".

The internet is the world's largest democracy. The people decide if a website succeeds or not (with a bit of bias provided for them by the website designer). Google has been able to take over the internet simply because the quality of all of their apps and scripts is so high. We have allowed Goggle to take over simply because it offers so many great services. I for one wouldn't mind a Google dictatorship. If only the dang anti-trust acts weren't in affect. :P
leontius
tchaunt wrote:
I for one wouldn't mind a Google dictatorship. If only the dang anti-trust acts weren't in affect. Razz

Hmm. A company that controls search, emails, IM, ad clicking, site visits, medical history, friends, appointments, documents of everybody in the world? That sounds scarier than even your government (because it spans nationality).
joostvane
leontius wrote:
tchaunt wrote:
I for one wouldn't mind a Google dictatorship. If only the dang anti-trust acts weren't in affect. Razz

Hmm. A company that controls search, emails, IM, ad clicking, site visits, medical history, friends, appointments, documents of everybody in the world? That sounds scarier than even your government (because it spans nationality).

I don't have a problem with it as long as there are alternatives. They offer a great service, and as long as we actually have the right to go to another company, thats fine by me.

A true dictatorship would be if they actually start stopping net neutrality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jHOn0EW8U

But anyways, getting off topic Razz

PS: 6 invites left =)
medesignz
anyone want to swap googlewave account addresses?
aningbo
Quote:

I don't have a problem with it as long as there are alternatives. They offer a great service, and as long as we actually have the right to go to another company, thats fine by me.

A true dictatorship would be if they actually start stopping net neutrality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jHOn0EW8U

But anyways, getting off topic Razz

PS: 6 invites left =)

any invitation for me?
erlendhg
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Yep, that's quit an impressive invention. I'm looking forward to trying it but I'm unsure whether it will "kill" the old way of communication (mail) as many say or not...

I rather believe it will be integrated with it Smile
Yes, I must say Google Wave is hot stuff indeed.
chartcentral
So far, features are limited. And from my network and browser, Google Wave becomes slow if there are many participants online working on the wave at the same time. Its Developer Preview demo video shows a really impressive tool though, so I'll keep with it just to try and test it out, and hopefully more features and improvements will get rolled out soon.
anakin_skyrunner
chartcentral wrote:
So far, features are limited. And from my network and browser, Google Wave becomes slow if there are many participants online working on the wave at the same time. Its Developer Preview demo video shows a really impressive tool though, so I'll keep with it just to try and test it out, and hopefully more features and improvements will get rolled out soon.

Yes, that's the downside of a preview - speed is not that good...
Which tool are you speaking of? I'm looking forward to full implementation of file sharing and such. And more settings xD
snowboardalliance
erlendhg wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:

I rather believe it will be integrated with it Smile
Yes, I must say Google Wave is hot stuff indeed.

I would like to see more integration with email and other social networking sites. Right now you're working in a closed off website with very few other friends to use Wave with. Sure more people will get invites, but the system is a bit too limited right now
allboeing
Thats great im going to get it and try some editing to see how much potential it has coding-wise,it looks very impressive so far I only watched about 12 minutes but it seems like it has good email potential,im not sure about his coding-potential so far Ill have to see it first because it could still be useless behind the scenes and could only be appearing to have a good potential.
chartcentral
Google Wave is a very promising product! I was impressed and amazed by its demo video (yes, it was very long indeed but I kept watching till the end). It's still on a Preview version at the moment and functionality is limited but I'm glad to have had an invite and join the community of Wave users. Smile
Surferboy
I really like wave the first time that I used it. But I am not using it as much as I thought I would. We use it when doing live video broadcasts and it works well for all of the staff to be able to communicate at once. They may have these features already and I just don't know or they may be holding them back. But it would be nice if they had a way to prioritize conversations and integrate wave more closely with other google tools. Like gmail, and google docs. Overall a very nice tool. Not quite up to par with googles other tools I felt.
silverdown
I got a invite took one look and said AAAAH too compliicated at the moment. Illl look at it once it get more debuged and runs better.
FunDa
Seems like the Wave will take time to become mainstream. Once the initial hpe died down, I haven't used my wave for anything.

I guess, until a lot of people start using it and other websites start providing Wave, it will just be an interesting piece of technology just lying there waiting for its time.
shenyl
Yeap, chance upon this thread.

I am eager to join in the Google Wave, as I intent to use it for my academic teaching.

It is much better than wiki for group work.

Is it ready? Anyone has any idea?
FunDa
Thought this would be interesting.
A webcomic that shows what happened with me and Wave as of now.

Of course, once more people are out there using it, I would ride the Wave again. But until then, meh.

Laughing
Forget it, Im not paddling back out until I see some more consistent surf !

Forget it, Im not paddling back out until I see some more consistent surf !
Laughing Laughing

Oh, this is from the webcomic DogHouse Diaries ( http://www.thedoghousediaries.com/ )
shenyl
Presume I cannot test Google wave at present.

Yes, there are issues, but the basic functions are already good enough for my use.

If you have used Lotus SameTime (paying an arm and a leg for the software and setup) or Lotus Notes servers, you will appreciate this free (still buggy) Google wave.

Trial, beta or actual release - the basic functions - I am very interested in.

Anyone can help to invite me?
chartcentral
It's been a while since I've logged into Google Wave, but now I've checked it again, and Extensions are now enabled (though some gadgets have been previously available). It appears as a menu item under Navigation. While all Extensions serve a purpose, the most useful to me should be the following: Yes/No/Maybe, Map and Take Out.

P.S. The comic on Google Wave posted by FunDa is funny and true enough. Nice! Very Happy
hersandal
Is the googlewave the same as the twitter? just a question...
HalfBloodPrince
hersandal wrote:
Is the googlewave the same as the twitter? just a question...

No. Twitter is basically sending out <140 character long posts. Google Wave is much more broad, with components of Facebook, email, wikis, IM, etc.
jstei
I actually know somebody that uses Google Wave every then and now. His Wave address is andrewsteinborn -AT- googlewave.com. He also has Sandbox access.
hersandal
I see, so it's different. I may try on that now. Do we still need to register on that even if you already have gmail account? pls. enlighten me. I will try this googlewave from google. Thank you.