FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Buy domain name, DNS services, find host - what else?

Crinoid
I thought that I know how domain name registration system works... Never used it myself, though. Now ready to buy the domain name and during the search here found that also I have to have DNS services. Is this usually an advertised feature by domain registrars or I have just watch for it?

What else I absolutely must have (and watch for it) during domain name registration? Any additional desirable features?
For hosting here, on Frihost. If it makes any difference for a paid host, who also is a registrar (just in case if I ever will need to move website), please do tell.

Thanks.
eyemdee
DNS Services, or Domain Name Services can be thought of like an internet telephone directory. When you type www.xyzyxyz.com into your browser, your DNS provider translates that into the IP address of the computer that is xyzyxyz.com.

Your domain registrar will set your DNS to their servers by default and then you can usually change them to any that you wish to use. Personally I leave mine with the domain registrar but you can use your web site host's DNS server settings if you prefer. If you are using a free host then their DNS servers may not be as reliable as your domain registrars' but it really is up to you.