FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Domain transfer for using it on another host?

Crinoid
I'm new to this, bear with me, please:

I'm considering registering domain name (Go Daddy or alike) while physically hosting website not there.

As I understand, for using domain name on website hosted in different place, one has to make Transfer Domain to a website host. And it is not permitted for 60 days after registration. And after domain transfer privacy protection will be lost, if new place doesn't have this feature.

Right or no?
eyemdee
I don't know about Go Daddy as I use 1&1, but I think most registrars are the same. You should be able to register your domain with them, then forward your email and web destination to wherever you like using their control panel. You will always control email and web host destination from the domain registrar and you can move them as often as you like.
the-guide
You can transfer your domain only if your domain has not been registered within the last 60 days, also before you get started you should check each domain and make sure that it isn't locked, that you have access to the admin contact email address.

And during the transfer process, normally, they'll also extend your registration for one additional year.
bloodrider
I've my domain registered at GoDaddy and it's still parked there, that's not a problem!
You only have to point it to your server.
After you register your domain, go to the "domain" or "dns" management, something like that, I'm not sure of the section name. Then you alter the "A record" to the IP address where your website is hosted (the server IP).
That's all, you don't have to transfer your domain because GoDaddy offers dns management Wink