FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Account Suspension

jinger89
Hey guys,

I'm new to Frihost and I don't understand why my account was just frozen. I was sent no warnings prior to the suspension so I really don't know what is going on. By website is http://www.cultthread.frih.org and I would appreciate any insight into this peculiarity. Thanks!

Please help!
Bondings
It was automatically suspended due to bandwidth usage reaching 10GB. The last 3 days you used several GB (up to 4) a day. Do you have any idea why this sudden big change in bandwidth usage happened?
jinger89
Oh no, I was afraid it was because of bandwidth usage. Yes I know what's causing it, but thought I had fixed the problem. Guess not.

Could you unfroze my account so I can disable the feature on my site that's causing the problem? I will be more careful of things like that in the future.
Bondings
jinger89 wrote:
Oh no, I was afraid it was because of bandwidth usage. Yes I know what's causing it, but thought I had fixed the problem. Guess not.

Could you unfroze my account so I can disable the feature on my site that's causing the problem? I will be more careful of things like that in the future.

I unsuspended your account and made the limit to 13GB for this month. Was it some download that was causing this problem?
jinger89
Actually it was this experimental chat box that I created. What it did was refresh itself 2 times every second as long as the page was loaded. I had played around with a version of it some time ago and noticed a spike in bandwidth usage, so I stopped that. However, recently I thought I had a found some solution to this problem, because I had enabled the chat and didn't notice a huge increase in usage. Looks like I didn't monitor it for long enough.

Thanks for un-suspending my account! The problem is already fixed.
jinger89
Also, what exactly defines the use of bandwidth with a frihost account? Does it include editing and saving files?
Bondings
jinger89 wrote:
Also, what exactly defines the use of bandwidth with a frihost account? Does it include editing and saving files?

I actually don't know if that is measured too. However, in most cases, that bandwidth is minimal compared to the 10GB/month you get, considering the maximum of 250MB of disk space.

By the way, the bandwidth was http traffic. You can check it in your logs/stats.
jinger89
What does http traffic mean for me? Does that it was someone/something visiting my sight that many times?...
Bondings
jinger89 wrote:
What does http traffic mean for me? Does that it was someone/something visiting my sight that many times?...

It means it is traffic to your website. Not ftp, not email and not DirectAdmin.
Cheetah
Wow, attracting 10gb of usage in traafic. It always amazes me how some people can have such useful sites
jinger89
Hardly. The only reason I burned through so much bandwidth is because of poorly written code for the page. Remember kids, auto-refreshing a section of the page 2 times a second is a sure fire way to waste your bandwidth. God that was stupid. I still haven't figured out the proper way to do it either. Oh well.
Vrythramax
jinger89 wrote:
Remember kids, auto-refreshing a section of the page 2 times a second is a sure fire way to waste your bandwidth.

Shocked

Yeah...that would do it. I have to ask, what are you running that needs to updated faster than any human can read, write, or (I imagine) comprehend?
rvec
I'd guess it was a chat and he wants the messages to be real-time.