FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting a 2nd pet...

wnchung
Hi,

My husband and I have a 9 month old puppy (Kona) and next week we're planning to get another puppy to give him someone to hang out with while we're away at work. I have a few questions tho and hopefully you guys can help me out.

- I read that we should treat both of them equally and right now Kona sleeps in our bedroom on the floor (and ends up on the bed in the mornings). I was wondering if we should crate the both of them in the same crate at night until the second puppy is fully toilet trained.

- Should we get a girl or a boy puppy? The litter is 7 weeks old and it's from the same mom and dad as Kona (it was an accident... that's why the time frame's so close). I brought Kona to see the puppies but he didn't get a chance to get close (mom was protective) so I couldn't see who he bonded well with. Do you think the gender really matters since the pups are so young?

Kona's my first dog and I've only had him for almost 7 months. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.
ocalhoun
Well, for one thing, in general, just the fact that there are two of them makes a big difference.
Dogs that grow up around humans only end up being "people's dogs." They relate to people better, and would rather play and interact with a human than another dog. Dogs that grow up with other dogs become "dog's dogs." Those dogs prefer the company of other dogs. They'll still play with humans and interact, but they'll prefer other dogs instead.

I wouldn't worry as much about carefully treating them equally, though. I doubt they'll care much about things being 'not fair'. I guess they tell you to do so to prevent one from being over-dominant to the other? That will happen anyway, though, depending on their personalities. The key would be to make sure you are dominant over both of them, and make sure that the more dominant of the two knows that you disapprove of the other one being picked on.

As for gender... I'd say that the relationship between the two of them will be simpler if they are both the same gender. On the other hand, if they're both the same pure-breed, you might want to consider breeding them, because pure-bred puppies can sell for very good money.
kriszara
ocalhoun wrote:

As for gender... I'd say that the relationship between the two of them will be simpler if they are both the same gender. On the other hand, if they're both the same pure-breed, you might want to consider breeding them, because pure-bred puppies can sell for very good money.

If you get them neutered the gender won't matter very much. I have to disagree with Ocalhoun on breeding them though since they are siblings, that would be a very shallow gene pool.

If you crate them together it will make the new puppy happier, less likely to miss his litter-mates, but it may confuse Kona for a while until he gets used to it.
I would suggest bringing Kona back over and working with the Mom's owner so that Kona can get some play time with the puppies and see if there is one he seems to like best.
ponda
Yes, you should treat both dogs equally but in regards to what gender I'm not sure. I had a similar expirience, I got a girl to go with the boy and they just fight all the time, ever since we got the girl fixed because we didin't want pups. Maybe you should ask a vet or someone that works in a pet store to be sure. Their fighting is so bad now we keep them separate.
ocalhoun
kriszara wrote:

If you get them neutered the gender won't matter very much.

I question the morality of this.
Quote:
I have to disagree with Ocalhoun on breeding them though since they are siblings, that would be a very shallow gene pool.

Oops, I missed the part about them being siblings.
imera
When I was younger we had 6 dogs, they are all dead now but we have two other at the moment.

The most important is to be the master, don't let them do as they wish. The dogs we had before was all great and nice dogs. And I don't think dogs care as much as humans about being fair, but don't go out with one dog and let the other stay home, I think you know how to treat them. I like what ocalhoun wrote about being dominant.

The dogs we have now is one which is over ten years and another one which is somewhat over a year. They do almost work well together but the young one is still disobeying,which makes it difficult to treat them the same, and the old one is really old, not easy to ask him to do everything the other does.