FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cap on number of postings?

deanhills
Bondings. Is there a cap on the number of postings that one is allowed to do in a day? I've just had three postings come up with that I'm not allowed to earn points for them as I went over the number of postings that are allowed?

This is the wording:
Quote:
Your message has been entered successfully.
You have exceeded the allotted amount of posts and will not earn anything for your post
medesignz
they must think you talk too much... hehe
rvec
yes there's a max. It's been put there because some people tend to forget live off-line.
deanhills
rvec wrote:
yes there's a max. It's been put there because some people tend to forget live off-line.

It would be nice to hear from Bondings about this:
1. When did this ruling come into effect and exactly how does it work? How many postings, over what time period, exactly what is the max? Has it been announced previously as I googled it before I started this thread and could find nothing under the rulings.
2.If this is a new ruling, perhaps it needs to be made formal so that people can know what is going on?
3. I'm not so sure what you mean by "some people tend to forget live off-line". Perhaps you can explain exactly what you mean by this?
rvec
oh I meant "life". And this has been on frihost for a long time. I reached the limit some times before, but don't remember how many posts per day that was (I think it was per day).

edit:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-324770.html#324770
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-325130.html#325130
ocalhoun
Just how many posts did you make?
I used to get that a lot, but then the limit was raised, and I haven't seen it since.

(Oh, and by the way, emailer.php is broken again, and giving error messages after posts.)
deanhills
Reply to Rvec:
Thanks for the info and nice to hear that you were a frequent poster too. The ruling you referred to is dated 2005. I will really be grateful if Bondings could post a reply as I genuinely want to know what the ruling is from him as lots have changed from 2005 to today. Perhaps this ruling needs to be added to "The Rules"?

To be truthful, what happened when I received that notice had an instant discouraging affect on me, so much so that I spontaneously stopped posting for two days and I'm not even sure whether I want to get to posting today either. Up to the point of that notice I had been under the illusion that Bondings was trying to get to 1-million postings for Frihost Forums and I was contributing to the collection. If I had known about the ruling and that message that came up had provided a good explanation of what happened to me, I perhaps would not have reacted at all, and continued posting.

Reply to Ocalhoun:
I made just over 20 postings in a second session . The previous session ended about 4 to 5 hours before the second session. The only reason I was making a larger number of postings was because there were a few real discussions going on in the Politics, World News and Religions Forums all at the same time (and they were enjoyable too). Solon posted and raised something, and then I responded and then he responded. I was not making postings for the sake of postings. I am almost certain Solon made more postings than I did, who knows, maybe he also got a notice, but did not pay attention to it.
deanhills
This is the notice that came up just after I had posted the previous message. Ocalhoun's note is probably valid. I do not have a clue what this means:

Quote:
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
This is the notice that came up just after I had posted the previous message. Ocalhoun's note is probably valid. I do not have a clue what this means:

Quote:

DEBUG MODE

This one is due to the /var partition being full again. It should be fixed now.

About the posting limit, it was 30 posts maximum during 4 hours. I now changed it to 50 posts during 2 hours. The setting was not new, I actually already forgot about it every existing. And it was to prevent spam. Considering I don't see much use for it either as of now, I guess I can disable it, if you wish? (with disabling it, I mean setting it to a huge number like 100 or 500 since there is no disable setting in the modification that I know of)
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
(with disabling it, I mean setting it to a huge number like 100 or 500 since there is no disable setting in the modification that I know of)

Simple:
14400 (the number of seconds in 4 hours) / The number of seconds a user has to wait before making another post (flood interval) = Setting for maximum posts.
That would make it absolutely impossible to get this message again.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Quote:

DEBUG MODE

This one is due to the /var partition being full again. It should be fixed now.

About the posting limit, it was 30 posts maximum during 4 hours. I now changed it to 50 posts during 2 hours. The setting was not new, I actually already forgot about it every existing. And it was to prevent spam. Considering I don't see much use for it either as of now, I guess I can disable it, if you wish? (with disabling it, I mean setting it to a huge number like 100 or 500 since there is no disable setting in the modification that I know of)
Thanks so much for fixing everything Bondings. 50 posts in 2 hours sound like a great challenge .... Smile Not sure that I will ever get to it, but have filed it away in my head.

By the way, how far away are we from the 1-million postings milestone? Smile
rvec
deanhills wrote:

You know there are a couple of stats in the footer of the forums front-page?
http://www.frihost.com/forums/
Quote:
Our users have posted a total of 863027 articles
Bondings
rvec wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Quote:

I'm hoping we'll reach the million posts within a year. Very Happy
deanhills
rvec wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for the info rvec. Would be nice to get to the million in 2010. Guess with 50 postings every two hours, that should be doable Smile