FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can bots register through Flash registration?

Diablosblizz
I've created a flash-based registration for my site. I was wondering if spamming bots can still register via Flash and muck up a website? If they can't, that's great!

Why do I use flash? Well, Flash is everywhere today. It's pretty secure, and to be honest I was bored one day. Razz

Also, can bots read Flash-based captcha? I've seen some bots that can bypass captcha, being able to read them. So I was wondering if flash makes it anymore secure? Thanks!
brokenadvice
Not right now, but if the technology does not exist, somebody could hack something together in an afternoon. If your website is not high profile, then nobody is going to take the time to make a program, there are 100 other sites they could hit in the time it would take to hit yours. If flash registration catches on, someone could make an more in-depth program; I know google has the technology to crawl flash sites already.
Star Wars Fanatic
It would have to be a pretty advanced bot, as usually when a bot looks at a site, they only see the text. That is why most people only use an image for the CAPTCHA. Because the bot never sees it. Now, bots can beat those now, but you won't see many, and while bots could beat flash, I haven't heard of many.
I doubt they will go after you though. You'd be safe with just an image CAPTCHA.
RadekPL
Unfortunately there's big disadvantage of flash forms - people with flash disabled in browsers just won't see it. Same issue is with most mobile devices - majority of them don't display flash. I'd rather get as many people as possible to register and fight spambots using something different.

At the moment captcha seems to be the best (but far from ideal) solution.