FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

You opinion? 90% Of Waking Hours Spent Staring At Rectangles

goutha
A new report published this week by researchers at Stanford University suggests that Americans spend the vast majority (about 90%...) of each day staring at, interacting with, and deriving satisfaction from glowing rectangles.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_90_of_waking_hours_spent

Is this also the case for you? Actually, I just realized that it's the case for myself...

What do you think about that? Do you think that humanity is going in the wrong direction, or it's just a new way of life that will change humanity's future?
deanhills
White true for me too. Wonder what I would be able to do without my rectangles Smile Thinking about this, why do they not make everything round from now on, round screens everywhere. Maybe we need to change the shapes of things.
Solon_Poledourus
Lounging outside of the box, as it were...
Helios
In my opinion, we should stare at glowing triangles.
Rectangles aren't nearly as exciting as triangles...
Vrythramax
This actually makes sense to me (not much does anymore), when put in those terms (glowing rectangles) it does seem plausible...except if you are a proctologist. Wink
speeDemon
well, its the same here.... even if sometimes there are power-cuts, and I cant watch TV, I just sit looking at it!!
missdixy
I never realized how many rectangles there are around me. Windows, doors, books, papers, beds, and of course computer windows. Dang. Now that I think abut it, I'm ready for some new shapes! Maybe triangle windows? Circular IM chats? Oh so many possibilities!
Ghost900
Circle chats, how fun. Very Happy

I wouldn't say I look at Rectangles for 90% of the time I am awake since I work as a landscaper/outdoors guy so I am looking at plants and stuff of different shapes.

Thing is people wake up from there rectangle bed, pour a bowl of cereal from a rectangle box and drive a rectangle Honda Element to work and stare at a rectangle computer monitor and when they get off they watch a rectangle TV.

I guess its no surprise that we like rectangles so much, even most glasses are made kinda rectangle nowadays. Smile
ocalhoun
Makes me happy that I spent most of yesterday with my favorite non-glowing, non-rectangular objects in the world... ^.^
AftershockVibe
Oh for the love of...
Guys.

The Onion is a satirical website.

i.e. This is made up.
Laughing
SpellcasterDX
^True, but even so, I wouldn't be surprised if a report like that did end up being proven after all. Seems logical.
Vrythramax
Granted that article did have the air of bullshi* to it, but it kind of made sense too. We DO stare rectangular objects of one form or another most of the day. The actual percentages may be fiction, but the fact remains valid that we do stare at them a lot...you are as you read this.
kriszara
AftershockVibe wrote:
Oh for the love of...
Guys.

The Onion is a satirical website.

i.e. This is made up.
Laughing

Yes it is, but it does make you think how much time and energy we put into our electronic gadgets.
I used to spend most of my time staring at rectangles, but am now doing property inspections so am spending my time looking through a windshield (rectangle) at the houses around me...which are mostly made up of rectagles also....
OH NOES.....ITS TRUE...LOL
Raidation
lol, circular chat.

I'll get started on one so you won't have to stare at glowing rectangles. Razz
Fatality
Interesting topic you have here. Staring at shapes all day. I guess the majority of the things we see in a day are rectangles.
guissmo
Haha. The Onion made me laugh at this one. Try watching the one about the party which ended up on fire.
Arty
Rectangles are everywhere...
My monitor is a rectangle, and so are my windows, my taskbar, the buttons on my taskbar, the tabs on firefox, the address, and the 5 or 6 text areas on this website...
eku53ru
I would have to say I'm guilty of being one of the said Americans which spend the majority of their day staring at glowing rectangles, despite the fact that the article may have been a product of satire. Razz

School has been out for roughly a month, and I have spent most of my time on the computer. If it's not the computer, I watch some television; if I am not doing either of those, I am playing video games.
deanhills
I was thinking about this thread while I was looking at TV last night, and was wondering how true it was that I was looking at a rectangle, as I actually was watching the show and the shapes of people and scenes, not the rectangle in itself.
Libby
I heard in psychology class that somebody did a study where they took newborn kittens and put them in a room with only horizontal lines. When the cats were were older, the scientists took them out of the room and into the real world, and the cats couldn't see or recognize vertical lines and just ran into table legs and poles.

Maybe we're headed to a world where we don't even notice organically-shaped things?

(Onion stories always make me think harder than any "real" news stories...)
carlospro7
Well I don't watch tv much now because I don't have any channels to watch, but I do spend a lot of time on the computer staring at my rectangle shape monitor, but that's because I do a lot of work on the computer. My studies and career require me to use it. Maybe we should have oval monitors instead Laughing I wouldn't say I use it 90% of the time. Maybe at some point I did, but I'm aware that I'm on the computer a lot, so I've been trying to do other things for a change. I would say about 50%-60% of the time which is still a lot, but better for me.
Raidation
eku53ru wrote:
I would have to say I'm guilty of being one of the said Americans which spend the majority of their day staring at glowing rectangles, despite the fact that the article may have been a product of satire. Razz

School has been out for roughly a month, and I have spent most of my time on the computer. If it's not the computer, I watch some television; if I am not doing either of those, I am playing video games.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. When do you have time to post this? Eh?
mOrpheuS
deanhills wrote:
White true for me too. Wonder what I would be able to do without my rectangles Smile Thinking about this, why do they not make everything round from now on, round screens everywhere. Maybe we need to change the shapes of things.

And Microsoft has the answer to all your prayers !
deanhills
mOrpheuS wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Very appopriate. Like their ideas about circles, and hope Hogwarts has seen the show as I'm sure he will be interested in Microsoft's new phone. He was worried about Apple monopolizing things .... Laughing Laughing
SpellcasterDX
mOrpheuS wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Looks like a flower. Or a boomerang of some sort. Razz
ProfessorY91
SpellcasterDX wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Props to Morpheus, I don't feel bad about staring at rectangles anymore. The furthest I'll stretch is a square.
medesignz
as long as they have rounded corners, I'm happy Laughing
deanhills
SpellcasterDX wrote:
I also thought about a boomerang. Part that I did not like is that the product expects you to do some hard work with formatting all the number buttons. Lazy sods ..... Laughing Wonder how a person will carry it in your pocket, sort of clumsy shape. I don't think they have managed to beat the fold-out phones. Good try though ... Laughing
Ghost900
That ofone is great, it is something that Microsoft will come out with someday I am sure.

I didn't know anything about the onion before but from what your saying I guess they are not the most accurate website to base anything off of, but I still think if they were to do a study it would be a pretty high percentage, not 90% since we have to drive to work as well as eat and shop and whatnot but I think it would be above 60% for a lot of us. Very Happy
mwsupra
A lot of that article is made up (like we get irritatated if we don't look at rectangles, lol), but definitely most things we look at are in rectangle form, and have been for a long while now Razz

But now with CSS3 I can easily make those rectangles rounded Very Happy
mOrpheuS
The OFone is actually a spoof video created by the Microsoft studios - don't expect to see that hitting the markets Wink

But it does make you realize why rectangles aren't all that bad.
deanhills
mOrpheuS wrote:
The OFone is actually a spoof video created by the Microsoft studios - don't expect to see that hitting the markets Wink

But it does make you realize why rectangles aren't all that bad.

Hee, hee .... it had me fooled .... Embarassed Glad it was a spoof as the shape looked a bit messy Smile
Crazy_Canuck
I'll play along. If I'm not staring at the computer or TV, I'm reading a book or magazine. The only shapes I get are playing that silly Bejeweled Blitz game on FaceBook. Like I needed another addiction. Rolling Eyes
soljarag
whoa.. the first picture in that link shows exactly what i'm doing right now, in the exact position