FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

life at my job im a deckhand

spydajman
I'm a deckhand for a company called turn services. A deckhand is a person that works on a boat that does all the "bull crap" work lol. I cook, I clean, and I tie up bardges all day. I stay on my boat for 14 days straight then I go home for 7 days. Its almost like a mini vacation. Its acually verry dangerous! A bardge is about 200 ft long and 35 ft wide. The walkway, also called gangway, is about 2 foot wide. also the bardges are 15 ft tall. Yea a big hunk of metal lol. Well anyway they put cargo like grain and stuff in the bardges that we get. One of the most dangerous parts of my job is to tie up the bardges. All that consist of is taking a 35ft wire cable and wraping it around some bits on the bardge but what if they pop that's gonna hurt if it hits you now won't it lol. It can take your leg off if you let it. Not a good idea well if you have any questions just ask

Ttyl
hangnhu
what is the pay and how do you get hire? any experience/skills or qualification required?
what is the job? but now that I think about it, this don't sound so ideal
spydajman
hangnhu wrote:
what is the pay and how do you get hire? any experience/skills or qualification required?
what is the job? but now that I think about it, this don't sound so ideal

In the short run its really not but in the long run its great becasuse when I started there I was making $130 a day but now I'm making $180 that's in 1 year now if you stay in that line of work for 3 years you can become a captin and make $500 a day! Now that's good money! To get hired go to the waterways journal online and look in the classifieds and find a location near you. No skill needed realy so good luck.
prithvi
Yeah, that's good money being earned.
And it has a long-term growth too.

That's pretty much enviable, especially during these turbulent times.

So how many hours do you have to work everyday?
Solon_Poledourus
Nice. You are the backbone of that kind of industry, so congrats bro.
spydajman wrote:
35ft wire cable and wraping it around some bits on the bardge but what if they pop that's gonna hurt if it hits you now won't it lol. It can take your leg off if you let it.
I've seen training videos of people being cut in half by these cables. Not a pretty sight.
airh3ad
im sure you are enjoying your job hu? what about the salary share it to us , maybe i try to aply that job here.
ptpmonitor
It looks an adventures job. I think you are enjoying your job and I don't find it bad. Yeah, it is risky but there is lots of fun while surfing water with the boat.
babygeek
what an adventure! how long have you been at it? Smile