FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A virtual world





speeDemon
Well, all of us have seen films like the matrix and 13th floor... do you actually believe that we could be in a virtual world??

I mean, it looks as if we are just a Hi-fi version of the sims!! theres a guy sitting on a computer, and making you do all that he wants!! lol!! thats actually funny, though a bit weird..

even this post that I'm writing, is because of him!!

well, give me your views...
spring567
Maybe that is true.
We know few about the world.
anarhistu
speeDemon wrote:
Well, all of us have seen films like the matrix and 13th floor... do you actually believe that we could be in a virtual world??

I mean, it looks as if we are just a Hi-fi version of the sims!! theres a guy sitting on a computer, and making you do all that he wants!! lol!! thats actually funny, though a bit weird..

even this post that I'm writing, is because of him!!

well, give me your views...


13th floor makes no importance if you do not have 7 man of 3 different nationalities in each of the 9 rooms on this 13th floor...

Regarding the option that we may be same as in that movie, try to imagine, as a little example, the ALICE inteligence... If you want to compare the "welcome... to the real world" with the real world, ..., I do not know if you can find any connection between the two...
Dean_The_Great
Who knows?! Maybe our limited human pea-brained concepts of the world are so far from actual reality that we are living in a fantasy all of our own!
desonium
It could be possible that some in controlling our lifes. It is a weird idea that someone is controlling you Confused
So I hope there isn't such a thing.
Why would he let you make a thread like this then?
deanhills
Everything is possible. It probably is also an illusion that we are in control of our lives. We're part of something that is much larger than ourselves and our destinies seem to be woven in the whole. We can direct a few bits in our lives here and there, but to think we are really in charge, well does not sound credible to me.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
but to think we are really in charge, well does not sound credible to me.
It sounds downright scary. I think that's why people need to believe in a controlling/creating force. The alternative has no meaning. But is it really less credible or believable? No less than anything else, if you ask me...
polly-gone
Essentially we are if you are religious. Some higher being controlling everything. Its not nature, its god playing with his copy of Humans 3­­­!

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
missdixy
When I Was younger I used to really think about this kinda thing until it was just like near driving me mad haha. Eventually I just had to stop. Sure it's possible maybe, but no! I refuse to believe it or think about it >.<

But hey, if there IS a guy telling us all what to do like if we were Sims, then he's kind of a sadistic jerk because the world could be much better...
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
When I Was younger I used to really think about this kinda thing until it was just like near driving me mad haha. Eventually I just had to stop. Sure it's possible maybe, but no! I refuse to believe it or think about it >.<

But hey, if there IS a guy telling us all what to do like if we were Sims, then he's kind of a sadistic jerk because the world could be much better...
I think it is much more subtle than someone telling us to do anything. It's much larger than that too. We're a speck in the whole of human species, and the human species a speck in the Universe, and the Universe may also be a speck, and somehow all of it is working together.
medesignz
are you thinking along the philosophy terms of determinism... that being never to be confused with fatalism...

quite frankly cogito ergo sum Wink
Vrythramax
I don't even let it cross my mind...as cypher said in the Matrix (it was not original to him however), "Ignorance is bliss".

I'll remain blissfully ignorant thank you.
Ghost900
I think that there is an alternative force outside of our control, however I doubt it is some fat kid that has food on his shirt and enjoys playing Earth 3 and enjoys deleting lion cages at the zoo to see people run.

I have not thought to much about it and will remain ignorant of how much control we have of our life's unless I trip across the info. Smile
snowboardalliance
Vrythramax wrote:
I don't even let it cross my mind...as cypher said in the Matrix (it was not original to him however), "Ignorance is bliss".

I'll remain blissfully ignorant thank you.


Good remark. Since the basis of the argument is, we could be living an alternate reality because we would have no way of knowing if we are not, you can also remember that if you don't know that this is true, your life seems normal, so what's the problem.

Interesting philosophical on the "brain in a vat" and dream arguments here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_argument
sonam
missdixy wrote:

But hey, if there IS a guy telling us all what to do like if we were Sims, then he's kind of a sadistic jerk because the world could be much better...


I think yes, we are in some kind of matrix. In first moment this is very scarry but if you are realy accept this possibility then you are free of mistakes because your life is not in your hand.

Sonam
airh3ad
we can call anyone as a virtual things if somebody control it? or make it?like Here at Virtual Pets , we think that is a given. Fuel and transportation costs are significantly impacting nonprofits, churches, and organizations. We expect them to lead the pack. Yes, we know many of these organizations already have a presence in Virtual Worlds, but much of the current presence is to recruit “real” members, seek donations, or to raise the awareness of their cause. In the future, we expect them to also be holding their business, leadership, training, and organizational meetings there to save fuel and travel time.
Raidation
It's impossible.

If we WERE controlled by someone, that someone would be a total jerk to make his player post a post like this.
We can think on our own, right? If we were controlled by somebody, we would have no opinions. We'd be brainless. We wouldn't even know that there is somebody in the real world controlling us.
In a virtual world, all we would know is specific commands. Have you ever seen an AI that could judge things by itself? NO.
So in my opinion, it is impossible that we are living in a virtual world.
speeDemon
Raidation wrote:
It's impossible.

If we WERE controlled by someone, that someone would be a total jerk to make his player post a post like this.
We can think on our own, right? If we were controlled by somebody, we would have no opinions. We'd be brainless. We wouldn't even know that there is somebody in the real world controlling us.
In a virtual world, all we would know is specific commands. Have you ever seen an AI that could judge things by itself? NO.
So in my opinion, it is impossible that we are living in a virtual world.


Well, I think you're a bit wrong right there.. how do you know what your thinking possibilities are?? the answer is, simply... you dont...

you see, you think that "I have a brain, opinions" right? but you cant think more than what your brain allows you to think.. because it has boundaries, which you dont know about, because you cant possibly know about them, because you arent supposed to... probably because you are just AI with rules and limits.....

ooh... that was complicated!! I guess I'm too much into this stuff....

and ya,
Quote:
Have you ever seen an AI that could judge things by itself? NO.


I havent seen any, because were just in 2009 right now, things will develop for sure.. wont they? and AI will for sure get a more realastic look... soon,,,

I have seen robots that can actually be left in mazes, and they can find their way out, and that was way back in 2005... '

The AI you see in games is also "thinking"..... in a way, just think about it
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:


I have seen robots that can actually be left in mazes, and they can find their way out, and that was way back in 2005... '


That's a simple matter of following one wall, and if you get back to where you started, follow the other wall. If you get back to where you started again, follow a random wall, then stop at a random point and repeat the process.

More impressive are internet switches that sense, learn about, and reroute traffic to avoid slow internet connections.

More impressive still is the robot (just a box with non-jointed legs) that learned to walk on its own. It was programmed to try to walk, but wasn't told how. After many failed attempts, it figured it out and was able to walk around (in a way the designers of it didn't expect).
Raidation
But what type of idiot would make his player post a topic like this?

[Edit]
About that robot you were talking about, ocalhoun...

I'm thinking (yes, thinking) that all it did was run through nearly every possibility. How do computers hack passwords? Are they super ninjas that can read a user's mind? NO. It goes through every possibility it comes up with, through loops.

000
001
010
011
100
101
110
111
00A
00B
00C
00D
00E
00F
00G
00H
00I
00J
00K
00L
00M

etc...
snowboardalliance
Raidation wrote:

I'm thinking (yes, thinking) that all it did was run through nearly every possibility. How do computers hack passwords? Are they super ninjas that can read a user's mind? NO. It goes through every possibility it comes up with, through loops.


So now we're talking about AI huh?
Well as for your argument, it reminds me of Alan Turing's arguments for "Machine Intelligence" in his paper describing the Turing Test. Basically that it doesn't matter how the machine can do it, because it's not like we can understand the human consciousness. But his argument is more about a machine appearing intelligent.
airh3ad
the question now is do you want yourself to control by other person?
Fatality
I suppose in a way we live in a virtual world. We're in a gigantic universe and no one knows for sure what is out there or if we're a speck on some other world. Makes you think about what could really be out there.
Vrythramax
airh3ad wrote:
the question now is do you want yourself to control by other person?


Are you asking if you yourself want to control someone else, or BE controlled by another person(s)?

I can only speak for myself, but it seems my entire life has been under the control of other people all along. Rules of society, laws, manners, religion, parents, work, and the biggie...WOMEN (as I said, I can only speak for myself). It appears, when you look at it carefully our lives have never really been under our own control.
Raidation
Vrythramax wrote:
airh3ad wrote:
the question now is do you want yourself to control by other person?


Are you asking if you yourself want to control someone else, or BE controlled by another person(s)?

I can only speak for myself, but it seems my entire life has been under the control of other people all along. Rules of society, laws, manners, religion, parents, work, and the biggie...WOMEN (as I said, I can only speak for myself). It appears, when you look at it carefully our lives have never really been under our own control.


But haven't your actions always been under your control?

Nature places the environment. We control ourselves, not our lives.

Nature will always control our lives, but not our actions.
sonam
Raidation wrote:

Nature will always control our lives, but not our actions.


If nature control our lives then the same nature control our actions. For example: you are very cool man Cool and nothing cannot break out you from your state. But in one moment nature start to create some very bad things for you. Your emotions is angry and question: "Why, why, why..." is all the time in your mind. On the end you are kick someone. Twisted Evil Of course, on the court you will say "I don't know what happend. I don't want to kick this man, but..."

Where is control of your actions when ones you are loose this control? Could you quaranty for your actions from now to the end of your life? Who can?

Sonam
tony
Dean_The_Great wrote:
Who knows?! Maybe our limited human pea-brained concepts of the world are so far from actual reality that we are living in a fantasy all of our own!


So Deep!

/ now my brain hurts. Haha; thanks for the enlightenment though Smile
Raidation
sonam wrote:
Raidation wrote:

Nature will always control our lives, but not our actions.


If nature control our lives then the same nature control our actions. For example: you are very cool man Cool and nothing cannot break out you from your state. But in one moment nature start to create some very bad things for you. Your emotions is angry and question: "Why, why, why..." is all the time in your mind. On the end you are kick someone. Twisted Evil Of course, on the court you will say "I don't know what happend. I don't want to kick this man, but..."

Where is control of your actions when ones you are loose this control? Could you quaranty for your actions from now to the end of your life? Who can?

Sonam


But YOU are the one that is controlling your emotions, too.
sonam
Quote:
But YOU are the one that is controlling your emotions, too.


I don't think soo. Sad Otherwise why I react different on same situation from time to time? I think we can only supress or show our emotions but we haven't control of it. Emotions are controled by thinks. We don't know what think will come in our mind (bad or good). This is not in our control. Ok, some peoples are try to control mind by meditations and other relax tehnic but this is another way of life.

Sonam
shkumbin
Now the biggest suprise ever would be if we find out that we are living in a virual world controlled by machines but no my friend we are under GODs supervision, he has created everything and he controlls everything...

He is the master of al the things, he knows what will happen and what we think , you can't escape anything or hide anything from him.

I don't want to sound like a crazy religious fanatic but just imagine this life would have no meaning if it wasnt for God, we live to worship him so we can be clear of our sins and rget rewarded with heaven were we will live forever and there is no describoing how good is there

Just my 2 cents
ProfessorY91
sonam wrote:
Quote:
But YOU are the one that is controlling your emotions, too.


I don't think soo. Sad Otherwise why I react different on same situation from time to time? I think we can only supress or show our emotions but we haven't control of it. Emotions are controled by thinks. We don't know what think will come in our mind (bad or good). This is not in our control. Ok, some peoples are try to control mind by meditations and other relax tehnic but this is another way of life.

Sonam


When you say some people try to control their thoughts trhrough meditation and relaxation techniques, I beg to differ. You can control both your actions and thoughts through discipline. If you believe something strongly enough it will show in your actions and you'll think about it. Therefore, yes I believe that everyone has absolute control over their emotions, or should. Some people choose not to control them, not because they can't, but because they are dependant on the attention they get from exaggerated emotional displays.

Take it from a teacher.

Y.
rvec
-close-
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-42372.html


This close is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Chinese Novel
Immersive Virtual Reality
I buy used PDAs
PVPMachine - Paintball, Video Games, PC
Silkroad Online - Great MMORPG
WoW... An Online RPG Funeral Gets Ambushed
PPU
Long Distance Love
Video games - good thing, or a waste of space?
Do you believe in virtual world?
Virtual vs Reality
Virtual Worlds built on OpenSimulator
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.