FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Republicans caught in 2 racist gaffes in one week.

handfleisch
June 13th:

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10526195&nav=0RaPIYA8
Quote:
GOP activist says escaped gorilla was "ancestor" of Michelle Obama

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A state Republican activist has admitted to and apologized for calling a gorilla that escaped from the Riverbanks Zoo Friday an "ancestor" of First Lady Michelle Obama.

June 15th:

http://www.nashvilleistalking.com/2009/06/sen-diane-blacks-r-gallatin-legislative-aid-circulates-racist-email/
Quote:
Sen Diane Black’s (R-Gallatin) legislative aid circulates racist email

Newscoma posted details of a racist email sent from Sherri Goforth, legislative aid for Sen. Diane Black (R-Gallatin). The email depicts the Presidents of the United States with President Barack Obama as a pair of eyes in a black background.

What is wrong with these people?
Solon_Poledourus
I don't know. I can't claim to have never said a race-based joke. In fact, I do it all the time. I think making fun of these ridiculous and superficial differences is the best way to get past it. I mean, Dave Chappelle made fun of black, white and every other color of person every week on cable TV for a couple years and he got paid millions upon millions of dollars for it. And we all laughed. Granted, he is a comedian, and politicians should be more careful about what they say. But I don't think they should be banned from being able to make the same jokes that so many of us make.

I know it's easy to think of the Republican activist from SC as being dead serious when he made the joke about Michelle Obama, and it probably was in bad taste. But does that make him/her on out-and-out racist? I don't think so. We just want to think of them that way because they are in opposition of Obama.

Frankly, I have enough reasons to hate the Republican party. I don't need to start throwing stones at them for doing the exact same thing I do after a few beers.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I don't need to start throwing stones at them for doing the exact same thing I do after a few beers.
I guess there are quite a number of O'Reilly jokes during the "few beers" session .... Smile

It's strange. I'm originally (in my previous life) from South Africa. It's a country that goes deep with the ability of laughing at itself. People have a great sense of humour and jokes are exhanged every day. But here's the thing. I can't think of a single racist joke! The jokes are usually about current politics, or celebrities, fun stuff. That does not say that there are no racists, maybe I have just not been in their company. Then again, theirs would probably have been "sick humour". Not my kind of humour.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I guess there are quite a number of O'Reilly jokes during the "few beers" session ....
From time to time, yes.
Quote:
It's strange. I'm originally (in my previous life) from South Africa. It's a country that goes deep with the ability of laughing at itself. People have a great sense of humour and jokes are exhanged every day. But here's the thing. I can't think of a single racist joke! The jokes are usually about current politics, or celebrities, fun stuff. That does not say that there are no racists, maybe I have just not been in their company. Then again, theirs would probably have been "sick humour". Not my kind of humour.
I have to admit that my humor is usually a bit sick, if not downright disgusting. I can't count the "strangle a hooker" jokes I've told... and yet, I have never actually strangled a hooker. I just like to go WAY over the top, to the point of absurdity, with humor. More than evoking laughter, I like to see people get that wide eyed, gaping mouth look of complete astonishment that I would say something like that. I guess it comes from my dark side. I was raised to be very proper, and in public, I am. I think that's why older people tend to like me. But in close company, or amongst strangers at a pub for instance, I can come off as surprisingly vulgar. But I don't think it means I am a vulgar person, I just like to find the absurdity in it, and see how people react to the absolute end of the spectrum of humor.

I have to assume then, that you haven't heard the joke commonly known as "The Aristocrats"?

Oh please tell me you have heard this one...
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I have to assume then, that you haven't heard the joke commonly known as "The Aristocrats"?

Oh please tell me you have heard this one...
No ...I saw a TV series once, is there a joke about this? .... Shocked Embarassed Twisted Evil Question

This reminds me of a very simple joke my dad had at one or other time about this system of jokes. And eventually the teacher would say: Joke No. 1 and the children will laugh like crazy, or No. 4, and they may like this joke even better and roar with laughter. He did not need to tell the jokes any more .... Laughing So I guess when you have your beer session you only need to say "The Aristocrats" and the guys will roar with laughter? Laughing
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
So I guess when you have your beer session you only need to say "The Aristocrats" and the guys will roar with laughter?
I will not recount the joke here. If you are curious, you can Google it, but I warn you, it is disgusting. It's also never told the same way twice. It made it's way through the circle of stand up comics, and it really isn't meant to be funny, so much as it is just "over the top" sick.

But yes, with certain company, I can get a good bit of laughter from saying "The Aristocrats"...
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
So I guess when you have your beer session you only need to say "The Aristocrats" and the guys will roar with laughter?
I will not recount the joke here. If you are curious, you can Google it, but I warn you, it is disgusting. It's also never told the same way twice. It made it's way through the circle of stand up comics, and it really isn't meant to be funny, so much as it is just "over the top" sick.

But yes, with certain company, I can get a good bit of laughter from saying "The Aristocrats"...
OK, you've said it all for me, I won't Google it. Shocked
Solon_Poledourus
There was actually a documentary made about the joke. Many of the most famous comedians were interviewed, and they all have their own version of it, and their own take on how and why it even exists. Even if you don't like the joke, the documentary was good.
Futile
As an African American male born and raised in the south I have first-hand experience of racism on all levels. Everyone who tells an off color joke is not a racist. I am sure that all of us at one time have told one. The question here is what context was it told in?

This is a very slippery slope here. On one side, the President and first family are always the butt and center of jokes. It comes with the job description. Every Commander in Chief had something to talk about with Reagan it was his hair. Carter it was peanuts, Clinton it was women, Nixon his nose, George W not too bright. With Obama it will be his ears and unfortunately sometimes that he is black.

Now on the other side we have the total enigma of whether a joke is racist or political because it is about a black president. The catch here is that what may not be offensive to one person may be offensive to the next. I wasn’t offended by the ape comment because I said during the democratic primarily that Michelle had a big forehead and reminded me of Cornelius from Planet of the Apes, but since I am black it’s funny. If I was a chubby balding white guy I am a racist. The portrait picture I think it is funny but the premise is old and played out. Come on, a black person in a black room and all you can see is their eyes, old played out, not very original. Racism isn’t going away but in order to move forward we (Black America) need to know when to punt and when to challenge the call, translated pick our battles. This isn’t worth the hassle. Look at it this way if this was a picture of George W displayed as a chimp would we be having this conversation. I think not. Solon hit the nail on the head when he said that politicians have to be more careful about what they say. They also need to be even more careful about who they say it around.
Bikerman
Interesting contribution. As a white 'middle class' male then I would like to think that colour is not an issue - but I would be guilty of wishful thinking of course.
Comedy, to a large extent, relies on physicality - from slapstick to impressionists.
Let's bring it down to specifics:
Is it OK for an impressionist to 'black-up' in order to portray Obama?
Now, I would like to think it was - because we have moved beyond the old 'Black and White Minstrel' caricature - but I'm not at the sharp end of this debate, so I'd be interested in your opinion.
Solon_Poledourus
Bikerman wrote:
If you are talking about a white comedian, then the answer is generally "no". Some comedians are so beloved that they can get away with anything, but it's rare for a white comedian in the US to get away with "blacking up" at all, be it about Obama or Kanye. It's almost always seen as overtly racist.

Having lived in the south for a very long time(I lived in Charleston, SC before moving to Florida), I have seen the southern brand of racism, and it can be scary. I've seen off-color jokes turn into brutal fights as well. But I also have seen that the south is alot more progressive these days than people tend to give it credit for.

The problem I see with the OP, is that the people are southern republicans. Not a very well liked group of people these days. So they tend to not get the benefit of the doubt.
Futile
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
If you are talking about a white comedian, then the answer is generally "no". Some comedians are so beloved that they can get away with anything, but it's rare for a white comedian in the US to get away with "blacking up" at all, be it about Obama or Kanye. It's almost always seen as overtly racist.

I defer this to context and intent. The comedian that portrays Obama on Saturday Night Live, SNL, is white, so he is “blacked-up”. This format is known for this and it is accepted. It is comedy and it is known as such. There are many mainstream white comedians that impersonate all races and nationalities but that is in mannerisms and voice. This is also acceptable to some. A “blacked-up” comedian would not be accepted and looked at as racist. Even advertised throw back minstrel shows are frowned upon. I love comedy in all forms and my view on this is just like with TV and radio. If you don’t like the show change the channel. If you don’t like the comedian’s humor don’t listen to him.
Solon_Poledourus
Futile wrote:
I defer this to context and intent. The comedian that portrays Obama on Saturday Night Live, SNL, is white, so he is “blacked-up”. This format is known for this and it is accepted. It is comedy and it is known as such. There are many mainstream white comedians that impersonate all races and nationalities but that is in mannerisms and voice. This is also acceptable to some. A “blacked-up” comedian would not be accepted and looked at as racist. Even advertised throw back minstrel shows are frowned upon. I love comedy in all forms and my view on this is just like with TV and radio. If you don’t like the show change the channel. If you don’t like the comedian’s humor don’t listen to him.
I agree with you for the most part. It works well for sketch comedy for some reason(in the case of the Obama character on SNL being played by a white guy, that's part of the joke about Obama being "too white"), but I was referring more to single stand up comics. I have not seen many white stand up comics doing over the top "black" impressions without being heckled.
Futile
I guess that depends on what you consider over the top. There are really quit a few. Dana Cook, Bill Burr, Lisa Lampanelli, Ralphie May just to name a few.